all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Zone 2 cardio: Talk test vs nasal breathing.

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)

Tall guy Andrew

Level 4 Valued Member
Reading up on Zone 2 cardio, AXE, A+A, etc... I know the talk test is well established, also read other literature that advocates nasal breathing as a signal for cardio exhaustion beyond zone 2.

Have the two been compared? Nasal breathing seems easier and more intuitive, but is it a reliable indicator for zone 2?

As I understand it, it's a decent ballpark for someone who has no idea of what intensity to aim for, but it's not a reliable indicator at all for the trained endurance athlete who does many hours per week in various zones (though a large percentage in zone 2, most likely).

Reading up on Zone 2 cardio, AXE, A+A, etc... I know the talk test is well established, also read other literature that advocates nasal breathing as a signal for cardio exhaustion beyond zone 2.

Have the two been compared? Nasal breathing seems easier and more intuitive, but is it a reliable indicator for zone 2?
For a while I only ran using nasal breathing, and I could run up to about 168BPM that way, despite my zone 2 normally topping out at 150. And when I had a sniffle or allergies, assessing intensity was not cool… you can get quite good at breathing through two straws.

More reliable is how you are breathing - not quicker but deeper.

For a while I only ran using nasal breathing, and I could run up to about 168BPM that way, despite my zone 2 normally topping out at 150. And when I had a sniffle or allergies, assessing intensity was not cool… you can get quite good at breathing through two straws.

More reliable is how you are breathing - not quicker but deeper.
Does this mean you breath only into the nose and out of your mouth? Or in the nose and out of your nose? I try to at least breath in my nose and out my mouth but doing difficult training while breathing in and out my nose makes me feel like I might suffocate.

Does this mean you breath only into the nose and out of your mouth? Or in the nose and out of your nose? I try to at least breath in my nose and out my mouth but doing difficult training while breathing in and out my nose makes me feel like I might suffocate.
When I was doing exclusive nasal breathing runs, I was only breathing in and out through my nose.

Personally I find nasal breathing to be a poor indicator. As others said, I can get way above Z2 and still nasal breath. The talk test is better but also imperfect. For me, I train for general wellbeing and dont worry to much about it. But as a guideline I use a HR monitor, MAF, and talk test combined. Not perfect but works for me.

I have maxed out my HR running while breathing exclusively through my nose in both directions. It's a skill that's not too hard to acquire, was wearing Breathe Right strip over my nose, which helps. Maybe it also helps drive my HR to the max as it is definitely extra work. HR was 179 and this was a few years ago so I was in my mid-60's at the time.

-S-

Back
Top Bottom