all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Curls: A Big Waste of Time?

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
I've tried that method, and it never seems to work for me because the plates hit the pad, preventing me from fully extending the elbow on the eccentric.
Maybe something simple like this, if nothing else it’s cheap and might be worth a try:

I've tried that method, and it never seems to work for me because the plates hit the pad, preventing me from fully extending the elbow on the eccentric.
Strap a thick book and an Airex pad to the bench so that it doesn't extend past the middle of your forearm. Sounds like a lot to do but it should work - somehow you need to raise your upper arm off the bench.

-S-

Strap a thick book and an Airex pad to the bench so that it doesn't extend past the middle of your forearm. Sounds like a lot to do but it should work - somehow you need to raise your upper arm off the bench.

-S-

Good idea.

That's an evolution of what I do with the Airex pad on the top of the bench to do reverse hypers without it being too uncomfortable.

You could run a strap or belt around the bench and “curl” against that. Nothing more than a rolled up towel under your elbows needed for elevation - lowering your shoulders will put a goodly stretch on those biceps.

Sometimes you gotta think outside the box a bit.

This was pretty good pump work, and more challenging than suspected even at the light 8 kg weight due to the 17 min duration:

I not only watched it, I did it.

Also with 2 x 8 kg DBs.
Whyyyyyy?

As an aside, I've been training hypertrophy style for the last three months and seen really great bicep gains (after neglecting curls for years) by doing the following pull workout 2x per week:

1. Chin-up - 3 x F
2. KB Row - 3 x 10-15
3. DB Curl - 3 x 10-15

Active recovery on a rest day?
Ah that explains it, lol.
I've been doing DB rows for a few months now, but at the rate I'm progressing, I may run out of change plates that fit on the DB handles.
I was inspired to Kroc row by your post about them a few weeks ago. Currently using my 24kg KB in the 20-25 rep range, but increasing quite drastically every week. My max kb is 40kg. Plan is to get that to 20 one day but it might take a while.

Ah that explains it, lol.

I was inspired to Kroc row by your post about them a few weeks ago. Currently using my 24kg KB in the 20-25 rep range, but increasing quite drastically every week. My max kb is 40kg. Plan is to get that to 20 one day but it might take a while.

I'm doing Krocs with 30 kg, 8-12 reps per set. I've been bumping up by 2-3 kg in weight whenever I hit 12 reps.

But my heaviest KB is also 40 kg, and if I load *all* my change plates on the DB, I can probably get that up to 45 kg.

Which should be completely doable given my typical BB row, but I don't know what I'm going to do for unilateral -- just pile on the reps, I guess.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom