all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Curls: A Big Waste of Time?

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Bro-science observation:

My biceps seem to be governed by "sarcoplasmic hypertrophy" more than any other muscle I have.

This may be just observational bias as I can see and feel them more easily.

But I seem to go through inflation / depletion cycles more with my biceps than other muscles.

And, conversely, I seem to have less bicep 'myofibrillar hypertrophy'.

Unlike my forearms and triceps, which stay denser and harder.
What sort of rep ranges do you train the biceps?

Does your observation influence your choices at all?

Yep, I'm with Jeff here. No matter how many tell us compounds will pack on muscle, sometimes some of us really need the isolation work to bring out a muscle.

I posted this in another thread but it is applicable here.

I never did curls when I first started training, and once I got the strongman bug I figured it was silly to waste time on it. I struggled with Atlas stones at first - I couldn’t even load a 225# stone at a competition. I then got advice from pro strongman Steve MacDonald who said my weak link was my biceps. I added a few sets of barbell curls in at the end of one workout for a few months plus practiced with a very light stone. I then loaded a 280# stone during my next competition. It also helped reduce the tendon soreness I was getting after a heavy stones session.

In the great book “Of Stones and Strength”, Steve Jeck recommends any man who wants to tackle stone lifting to develop arm strength if they want a chance to get the stone from their lap. To quote him, “All the leg and hip strength in the world is useless if you can’t hang on to the stone.” Jeck made stone lifting popular for a lot of people and has lifted the Inver stone, the Dinnie stones, the Blue Stones of Old Dailly, and the Husafell stone. Strong dude to be sure.

So bicep curls with the AGGRO 3X power bar grows biceps better than the Pyrros weightlifting bar.

The AGGRO is 1mm thicker so that might have a little bit to do with it, but I swear it's due to the difference in bearings.

The AGGRO doesn't spin as smoothly as the Pyrros and it feels like this puts more stress and tension on the muscle at the top and bottom when you reverse direction of the curl.

lol. OP, have you seen top-level arm wrestlers on YouTube? Cyplenkov, Larratt, and Voevoda?

If your priority is Olympic lifting, then curls will always be just beach work and elbow health. But if you want to take it to the next level, you gotta curl heavy, man. Treat the standing barbell curl like it is its own sport.

The logic otherwise is like saying you won't ever need front squats because you're already giving your deadlifts some leg drive.

lol. OP, have you seen top-level arm wrestlers on YouTube? Cyplenkov, Larratt, and Voevoda?

If your priority is Olympic lifting, then curls will always be just beach work and elbow health. But if you want to take it to the next level, you gotta curl heavy, man. Treat the standing barbell curl like it is its own sport.

The logic otherwise is like saying you won't ever need front squats because you're already giving your deadlifts some leg drive.

That's all it is for me -- beach work and elbow health.

That's all it is for me -- beach work and elbow health.
lol. The era of Hepburn and Anderson really is gone. Olympic lifters truly are a specialized type of athlete.

Hepburn used to showcase his "weightlifting prowess" by doing curls and handstands. Anderson did the bizarre backlift.

lol. The era of Hepburn and Anderson really is gone. Olympic lifters truly are a specialized type of athlete.

Hepburn used to showcase his "weightlifting prowess" by doing curls and handstands. Anderson did the bizarre backlift.

Backflips are still to be seen among weightlifters:

But, yes, by comparison, Hepburn and Anderson would be un-specialized amateurs today.

Tommy Kono used to compete in both weightlifting *and* bodybuilding.

american-middle-weight-tommy-kono-in-action-at-palatzetto-news-photo-1624820740.jpg

Tommy-Kono-American-titles-Mr-World-Universe-1957.jpg

Sadly, I don't think Tommy wouldn't win at bodybuilding today, either.

By no means are my arms as big as some of the people in this forum but I got more arm and specifically front bicep development than I ever did doing various curl variations at the gym . I even got one from alpha m on YouTube (I think it was so 7 reps of curls, then reps of the top half and 7 reps of the bottom half of the curl and It hunk 3 or 4 sets of this). I’m shocked cleans work my biceps more than the curls considering cleans are dynamic and curls are usually done very slow. Chin-ups work as well.

Backflips are still to be seen among weightlifters:

But, yes, by comparison, Hepburn and Anderson would be un-specialized amateurs today.

Tommy Kono used to compete in both weightlifting *and* bodybuilding.

american-middle-weight-tommy-kono-in-action-at-palatzetto-news-photo-1624820740.jpg

Tommy-Kono-American-titles-Mr-World-Universe-1957.jpg

Sadly, I don't think Tommy wouldn't win at bodybuilding today, either.

I said backlift, not backflip.

And Tommy Kono not winning at bodybuilding has more to do with the fact that Dianabol, the first effective steroid that didn’t have to be ingested through bull urine, didn’t become available in the black market until 1958.

As a silver era bodybuilder, Kono would’ve done decently.

I said backlift, not backflip.

And Tommy Kono not winning at bodybuilding has more to do with the fact that Dianabol, the first effective steroid that didn’t have to be ingested through bull urine, didn’t become available in the black market until 1958.

As a silver era bodybuilder, Kono would’ve done decently.

What's a backlift?

By no means are my arms as big as some of the people in this forum but I got more arm and specifically front bicep development than I ever did doing various curl variations at the gym . I even got one from alpha m on YouTube (I think it was so 7 reps of curls, then reps of the top half and 7 reps of the bottom half of the curl and It hunk 3 or 4 sets of this). I’m shocked cleans work my biceps more than the curls considering cleans are dynamic and curls are usually done very slow. Chin-ups work as well.

What kind of cleans?

'Reverse curl' is kind of a classic name for 'bad power clean'. ;)

Last edited:
What's a backlift?

In the following video, skip to 2:20.

He is my hero for a reason. Right up there with Doug Hepburn and Masahiko Kimura.

In the following video, skip to 2:20.

He is my hero for a reason. Right up there with Doug Hepburn and Masahiko Kimura.

I watched a bit more of that video. Don’t believe their assertion of a 900 pound front squat. Complete bull.

His best well-documented back squat was 900+ pounds.

Back
Top Bottom