all posts post new thread

Bodyweight Head Rush with One Arm Pushups

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Kozushi

Level 7 Valued Member
I sometimes get a huge head rush / headache while doing one arm pushups - is this normal?

I sometimes get a huge head rush / headache while doing one arm pushups - is this normal?
No, it isn't. It might be if you were upside down, e.g., handstand pushups. Do you experience the same thing doing regular 2-arm pushups?

-S-

No, I don't get much of that with two handed pushups, and nothing like that at all with my extensive kettlebell workouts.

Time for someone to give you an opinion, then. Please see a doctor, and/or post a video of a regular pushup and your one-arm pushup here, and/or see one of our instructors.

-S-

@Kozushi You may be performing a valsalva maneuver on yourself? Take a look at The Naked Warrior again and review how to execute proper diaphragmatic "breathing behind the shield."

@Kozushi You may be performing a valsalva maneuver on yourself? Take a look at The Naked Warrior again and review how to execute proper diaphragmatic "breathing behind the shield."
The wiki entry on this seems exactly like what I'm doing. I'll need to get back to my NW reading then!

Yet again, for anyone who thinks this stuff is easy or simple...

It's funny because it's just sometimes that I do this "valsalva" thing by accident. I'll have to pay more attention to how I breathe.

I sometimes do up to 12 OAPUs in a row, or alternating OAOLPUs 3 to 5 times in a row. So apparently, sometimes I just breathe wrong (or don't breathe hahaha!) and I "valsalva" myself! Hilarious! :) Without this forum I'd have had no idea and I might have thought I had a head cold.

Last edited:
I tried OAPUs with "breathing behind the shield" and, like magic, no more head rush!
Thank god for these forums!

Yet again, for anyone who thinks this stuff is easy or simple...

The saying goes, "it is simple, but not easy". The "simple" refers to the rather short list of exercises (usually two) in most programs that we subscribe to.

The "not easy" refers to the fact that folks will just not follow a simple program of just a few exercises; something you are providing evidence for, as you seem to be doing NW, ROP, and S&S at the same time.

The little details that you seem to be drinking from a firehose on this forum, such as tension, breathing, and movement skill are the threads that run through the all of the teachings here. These are lessons that can take a lot of time to familiarize oneself with, and just cant be rushed in some cases.

The programs themselves are still, "simple", but not "easy". That you do not know how to breathe does not change this.

I can appreciate your excitement, but you really do need to spend less time posting and more time meditating during your practice.

The saying goes, "it is simple, but not easy". The "simple" refers to the rather short list of exercises (usually two) in most programs that we subscribe to.

The "not easy" refers to the fact that folks will just not follow a simple program of just a few exercises; something you are providing evidence for, as you seem to be doing NW, ROP, and S&S at the same time.

The little details that you seem to be drinking from a firehose on this forum, such as tension, breathing, and movement skill are the threads that run through the all of the teachings here. These are lessons that can take a lot of time to familiarize oneself with, and just cant be rushed in some cases.

The programs themselves are still, "simple", but not "easy". That you do not know how to breathe does not change this.

I can appreciate your excitement, but you really do need to spend less time posting and more time meditating during your practice.
That all makes a lot of sense.

I moved up to 40kg for S&S today, and that move is already answering a lot of questions for me - the weight itself teaches.

@J Petersen wonder if you might be able to chime in..? I seem to recall you (at least I think it was you) telling me of headaches you'd get from doing a high volume of OAPUs in a short space of time. If I remember correctly, you were doing a kind of 'bodyweight Bear' routine with them?

I was holding my breath, which is hard not to want to do when putting the body under strain.

It's funny because it's just sometimes that I do this "valsalva" thing by accident. I'll have to pay more attention to how I breathe.

I sometimes do up to 12 OAPUs in a row, or alternating OAOLPUs 3 to 5 times in a row. So apparently, sometimes I just breathe wrong (or don't breathe hahaha!) and I "valsalva" myself!

Maybe Steve can correct me if I'm wrong. But my understanding is that you should use the valsalva maneuver. Power breathing, "breathing behind the shield", Reverse power breathing, valsalva, etc. They all mean the same thing. It is a way to pressurize the abdominal cavity by straining to push air out, but closing the throat to prevent it.

The valsalva can lead to blood rushing to the head. That's precisely why it's used to prevent fainting in pilots for planes at high G forces. So it is not for everyone. Pavel says to be very careful, and possibly clear it with a doc.

That said, there are ways to minimize it. If you think to "send the tension" down to the stomach instead of the head, it helps a ton. Pavel covers that in TNW too (did the guy just anticipate everything?). If you take sips of air here and there, it helps because it decreases the pressure a bit. Personally, I like to breathe de-pressurize at the top of each rep, and take another good breath.

By far the best way to avoid that head rush is not by not doing it (you should do it... it's really, really useful for safety and performance), but rather limit your reps. I'm completely out of breath and almost dizzy after a heavy set of 5 OAPUs. So I don't think it makes a lot of sense to be doing 12+ reps. I can see how that would be bad.

Just my 2 cents.

@305pelusa, you are correct - I think the issue here is a matter of degree. Breathing behind the shield is a way of maintaining intra-abdominal pressure, and so is the Valsalva Maneuver but more so. One of the key concepts we teach at the SFG is @Brett Jones' "volume control" - it's important to match the level of tension, of breath holding, etc., with the effort required by the task at hand. One of things I do periodically is demonstrate 2-hand swings with weights from 16 to 36 kg, and I try to make them look exactly the same. They look the same because I am dialing my effort up and down as appropriate for the weight at hand.

And we use this volume control to our benefit, e.g., we might practice light kettlebell presses with the grip we know we'll want for heavier ones as preparation for heavier presses.

Pavel covers that in TNW too (did the guy just anticipate everything?).
Yes :)

@305pelusa, thank you for your post. It's clear you have a good understanding of these things.

-S-

I don't know which is worse, pressurizing your head, or your butt. It becomes apparently obvious as load increases when you need more focused attention on intra-abdominal pressure technique.

The this is discussed in PTTP, the dirty little secret of lifting weights.

It's a bit hard to tell (you should take the video from the other side) but it looks like you're a bit shallow in depth. If you pull your head back ("pack the neck") instead of craning it forward and go until your chest almost brushes the floor (as TNW would say), you'll see you were missing a couple of very difficult, but ultimately rewarding inches. It also helps if you pull your shoulders back to push out the chest (as TNW also says... really, it's amazing how ahead of everything it is!).

The rest looks pretty solid though. You do a good job with keeping the midsection tight.

It's a bit hard to tell (you should take the video from the other side) but it looks like you're a bit shallow in depth. If you pull your head back ("pack the neck") instead of craning it forward and go until your chest almost brushes the floor (as TNW would say), you'll see you were missing a couple of very difficult, but ultimately rewarding inches.

The rest looks pretty solid though. You do a good job with keeping the midsection tight.
Thank you! I'll focus on keeping my head back so I can get further down!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom