all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Base Building for Strength

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Force production is paramount. That's why I far prefer cluster sets to long sets. There's really no argument whatsoever for me when it comes to it.

Though I love how it feels to do an AMRAP bench set. I sometimes plan for a triple with my 8RM, and find myself repping more of it just because it feels so good. Then I remember to leave a couple of reps in the tank. I love it when my pecs are so sore and cramp so much I can't wash my armpits. But it's not good for my training, my performance. Fatigue must be minimized, training frequency maximized, performance must always be good.

Kids today are ridiculously strong. And it's happened fast. Whatever they're doing, it's working. They know the way. It's fun to reminisce and consider the lifters of days past, indulge in the nostalgia and the tinted pictures of old, look at their lives and training. But their numbers are being crushed.

When it comes to variety and especially hypertrophy, it is now known that specific exercises lead to specific hypertrophy. It was true in the old days, then not, and now again. The biggest part of the muscle gets the biggest amount of juice from the CNS, and the effect of specific exercises just increases, However, muscle growth quickly plateaus. Now, if we focus on hypertrophy with different exercises, we may make the muscle grow more in different, adjacent areas. They then get more juice, and maybe, just maybe, also help more in the competition lift. But yes, do hypertrophy work with different exercises, such that there's minimal fatigue, and competition lifts for their own sake. But all the variety of the big compounds with big carryover and the competition lifts themselves get you very, very far. I'm happy to just do knee extensions for my quads for more.
Concur.

It’s also nice, especially if you’re squatting and pulling heavy, to hypertrophy the muscles on exercises that are easier on your spine…or that may kill you if you fail the rep.

You'll have a tough time convincing me 3x5 is better than 1x12, 1x6, 1x3 with similar RPE.
I am currently training with one working set of 1x12-15 almost to failure. I do one exercise for each muscle in each workout. Generally bench press in one workout and incline bench in the other workout. Row in one, lat pulldown in the other, one exercise at a time shoulder exercise, biceps, triceps, quadriceps, hamstring, calf. For a while, the muscles on the inside of my forearms started to hurt, but when I started doing more rеps, the pain gradually started to disappear. I don't feel fatigued with this type of training and just aim to be able to do 12 or 15 reps (depending on the exercise, like for legs I do 12 reps) with a heavier weight. I work out about every other day and feel great. And purely psychologically, it is easier to focus on only one working set, in which you strive to lift 12 or 15 times the specified weight. I don't know where this way of training will take me, but for now I'm ok. However, my goal is also to lose weight or rather reduce a significant amount of fat.

I can't find it yet, but Craig Nuckols wrote an article opining that standard 5x5 / Starting Strength wasn't great for beginners because it didn't build a good strength building base that spanned a spectrum from high intensity / low reps to medium intensity / medium reps, so beginners often stalled out. Mainly because it didn't build enough work capacity to handle higher volumes.
Yeah, I understand (and generally agree with) the idea of "more first reps". However, I don't know how/why/where that became "NO ONE DOES 10 REPS - THAT'S SToOOpID!"
Personal anecdote:
As an "intermediate lifter" of "masters age" (i.e. >50), I've made a lot more gains recently by working more in the base-building range, and doing less maximal work, than vice versa.
Probably because my soft tissue and neurological adaptations have already plateaued, so what I'm left with is growing muscle fibers.
I think we're on the exact same page with this. I know I need a lot more work in the 50-75% range. Like. A lot. More.

So my two cents are:
- You get better at what you train. If you get stuck, changing things up might help reset the body's reaction to the stimulus you give it.
The General Adaptation Syndrome

Information has been posed on the form numerous time. However, it appears, not enough. The subject continues to be overlooked, forgotten and misunderstood.

As bluejeff notes, one of the keys to long term progress that is built on..;

Periodization Training

One of the components of Periodization Training is to perform a Training Cycle with certain exercises.

Then in the in the following Periodization Training Cycle employ different exercise.

Varied Exercises

Data suggest that constant intensity training with varied exercises (CIVE) is more efficient to produce strength gains for physically active individuals. Changes in exercises are more effective than in loading schemes to improve muscle strength, Changes in exercises are more effective than in loading schemes to improve muscle strength - PubMed

Anecdotally, all knowledgeable Strength Athletes and Bodybuilder vary exercise for long term gains. It is one of the fundamentals of the Westside Powerlifting Protocol.

it's all about sets of 8-15 reps. If you can do high rep sets of a weight for many sets, you can probably lift a much heavier weight
That Is A Stretch

Higher Repetition Training exclusively fall more into Bodybuilding Endurance. Strength increases are limited compared to individual training with Lower Reps and Heaver Load. as you know.

- Lower weight and higher rep means it's easier to dial in form.

Quantifying This

Technique Training and Development for Strength Athletes is optimized with load of 85% plus of 1 Repetition Max performed for singles.

Performing Lower Weight for dialing in form for a 1 Repetition Max does little in the Development of for a 1 Repetition Max. Muscle involvement and Fast Twitch Muscle Fiber is not Trained nor Developed.

Effect of Barbell Weight on the Structure of the Flat Bench Press

This research further demonstrates that different Training Percentages (Loads) in a movement change the muscle involvement...

"While doing the bench press at a 100% 1RM load, the pectoralis major changes from being the prime mover to being the supportive prime mover
. At the same time, the role of the prime mover is taken on by the deltoideus anterior. The triceps brachii, in particular, clearly shows a greater involvement."

Technique Development with Lower Training Percentages

The use of Lower Training Percentages (let's say around 70% of 1RM) provide some Technique Development; however, are not as effective as the use of Higher Training Percentage (Loads).

Summary

1) Training Percentages need to be taken into consideration when training a competitive lift.

2) For the general training purposes, individual will find that the development of the group of muscles in a movement can be altered/trained to a greater degree by varying the Training Percentage/Load.

Analogy

Let's go over this redundant analogy.

Practicing hitting a 60 mph hour pitch makes you good at hitting a 60 mph pitch. However, not a 90 mph pitch.

An individual staring out need to start with learning to hit the ball at a lower speed. Then work up to hitting higher speed pitches.

Higher Repetition Training exclusively fall more into Bodybuilding Endurance. Strength increases are limited compared to individual training with Lower Reps and Heaver Load. as you know.
Yeah, I agree. What I was saying is that, in the calisthenics world, not the powerlifting world, a lot of the very strong athletes use high volume. They don't all use exclusively high volume though.

Technique Training and Development for Strength Athletes is optimized with load of 85% plus of 1 Repetition Max performed for singles.

Performing Lower Weight for dialing in form for a 1 Repetition Max does little in the Development of for a 1 Repetition Max. Muscle involvement and Fast Twitch Muscle Fiber is not Trained nor Developed.
Maybe I need to elaborate my point. My point wasn't that using lighter weight helps you move your 1RM better, it was more that using lighter weight helps you to move better, and that will translate to just being stronger in general. I think you need both. You need to be able to produce force with good technique for high-intensity movements/lifts (1RM powerlifts, etc), and you need to be able to move well in general.

Reading the last page or so of comments since yesterday, I have a thought:

It's clear that everyone responds differently to different training styles, AND that what training modalities you choose depend a lot on what outcomes you are after. Most people in this thread are into powerlifting, so it seems obvious that would be the focus. Why do things that might take away from your performance if you're seeing the results you like? I believe the spirit of the topic was that if you are stalled, then expanding your "base" might be a way to un-stall yourself.

One notion I've seen a few times lately (in this thread, and others) is that "higher rep sets are hard on [someone's] joints." I think the devil is in the details there. First, are you doing high reps with too high of a load? Second, are you doing higher reps of the same moves you do at higher weight for lower reps, i.e. powerlifts? Then I hate to say it, but I think you might be missing out by not changing the movement up that much. All three powerlifts have you either in extension or moving towards it. The low bar back squat has you using your back more to lift the weight (it's got a lot more hinge to it that a front squat, which is much more of a vertical movement), and the bench press has you pushing from a position you would never use in any other situation. This is a whole topic on its own, so I won't belabor it too much. All I will say is this: if you only move one way, and don't move in different ways, then I am not surprised that your joints complain when you do higher reps.

If you do your incline dumbell presses the same way as your bench, that's not much different. If you do bodyweight squats like barbell back squats, that's not much different. It is possible to move the body in a different orientation, while not really changing the relative motion between joints. If you move in shortened ranges of motion most of the time, and never allow tissues to really expand and stretch, I am not surprised that your joints don't feel great.

So I guess that's another argument (of mine) for base building to include variety. If you're plateauing, and/or your body has a lot of "issues," then changing things up and adding more variety might help both of those things. AND, some people might do just fine not changing things up much!

Yeah, I agree. What I was saying is that, in the calisthenics world, not the powerlifting world, a lot of the very strong athletes use high volume. They don't all use exclusively high volume though.

Maybe I need to elaborate my point. My point wasn't that using lighter weight helps you move your 1RM better, it was more that using lighter weight helps you to move better, and that will translate to just being stronger in general. I think you need both. You need to be able to produce force with good technique for high-intensity movements/lifts (1RM powerlifts, etc), and you need to be able to move well in general.

Reading the last page or so of comments since yesterday, I have a thought:

It's clear that everyone responds differently to different training styles, AND that what training modalities you choose depend a lot on what outcomes you are after. Most people in this thread are into powerlifting, so it seems obvious that would be the focus. Why do things that might take away from your performance if you're seeing the results you like? I believe the spirit of the topic was that if you are stalled, then expanding your "base" might be a way to un-stall yourself.

One notion I've seen a few times lately (in this thread, and others) is that "higher rep sets are hard on [someone's] joints." I think the devil is in the details there. First, are you doing high reps with too high of a load? Second, are you doing higher reps of the same moves you do at higher weight for lower reps, i.e. powerlifts? Then I hate to say it, but I think you might be missing out by not changing the movement up that much. All three powerlifts have you either in extension or moving towards it. The low bar back squat has you using your back more to lift the weight (it's got a lot more hinge to it that a front squat, which is much more of a vertical movement), and the bench press has you pushing from a position you would never use in any other situation. This is a whole topic on its own, so I won't belabor it too much. All I will say is this: if you only move one way, and don't move in different ways, then I am not surprised that your joints complain when you do higher reps.

If you do your incline dumbell presses the same way as your bench, that's not much different. If you do bodyweight squats like barbell back squats, that's not much different. It is possible to move the body in a different orientation, while not really changing the relative motion between joints. If you move in shortened ranges of motion most of the time, and never allow tissues to really expand and stretch, I am not surprised that your joints don't feel great.

So I guess that's another argument (of mine) for base building to include variety. If you're plateauing, and/or your body has a lot of "issues," then changing things up and adding more variety might help both of those things. AND, some people might do just fine not changing things up much!
Some solid points here @bluejeff

I think something we can all takeaway is that there’s only so much training allowance and adaptation demands we can handle in a program. Heck, I’d love the program that lifts my total, makes me limber as a jaguar, yoked to the extreme with the symmetry of the Giza pyramids but I’ve yet to find that unicorn.

Everybody’s got their preferences, goals, training styles and throughout the spectrum of possible combinations, many are effective along any point of that range.

Yeah, I understand (and generally agree with) the idea of "more first reps". However, I don't know how/why/where that became "NO ONE DOES 10 REPS - THAT'S SToOOpID!"

I think we're on the exact same page with this. I know I need a lot more work in the 50-75% range. Like. A lot. More.

I don't know where it comes from, either, but I call it "misapplication of intensity".

I like the plans that @silveraw and @John K started the thread with for a change of pace from low rep work. Simple and reliable plans are fun.

I also like the attitude of just base building for some lifts while working on others. It's kind of interesting that I've been starting this not-at-all simple plan recently:
I know it is a program all unto itself. But adding to another program for maintenance and base building of skills you want to keep but don't want to add to your recovery debt? After playing with the charts It seems useful for pure strength if you just use it with casually long rest periods for one or two accessory exercises while you focus on a "main" plan at another time of day. That is how I'm using it for crush grip and KB press maintenance. It's a lot of volume but feels super easy when you treat it this way. You could us it as a primary plan that works the big lifts (as intended on the URL) but just spreading it out over two lifts is very light.

On this plan the "heavy" days feel pretty easy and most days have many more than 5 rep sets. I have some 11 rep days scheduled. But I presume Fabio Zonin knows a lot about strength. On this kind of plan the high reps just feel like an opportunity to get in a lot of good practice.

Last edited:
A question in the opposite direction, I have discovered I love base building. Far more than strength training.

How long can one only base build before seeing negative impact from not pursuing peaking/strength bias?i

I think peaking is overrated. Maybe it's more useful for PED users since they seem to increase the doses as meets come closer.

I routinely see people lift good numbers without getting that close. As a rough number, I could say 85% of future max, and that 85% is hit rarely.

Then again, I'm not yet sure how we define peaking/strength bias or base building opposed to strength training.

A question in the opposite direction, I have discovered I love base building. Far more than strength training.

How long can one only base build before seeing negative impact from not pursuing peaking/strength bias?
Unless peak strength demonstration is your sport of choice, chasing 1RM PRs seems pretty pointless to me.

I mean, what do I need a 700lbs deadlift for? Is there really any benefit over being able to pull 440lbs. for a bunch of beautiful, controlled and perfect reps even if I had no sleep the day before?

Base building is safer, more enjoyable and way more sustainable. And, incidentally, it will increase your 1RM too (at a very much slower rate but, hey, glacial progress is still progress).

Also, going hard-ish once in a while between huge chunks of base building may be a fun, nice change of pace.

I seem to be getting to close to the results of 15 years ago with training load that is only a fraction of what it was back then. 5x10 -> 5x8 -> 5x5 or 6x6. Feeling like the last set is killing me.. While it feels like necessary, it really isn't.

I am currently training with one working set of 1x12-15 almost to failure. I do one exercise for each muscle in each workout. Generally bench press in one workout and incline bench in the other workout. Row in one, lat pulldown in the other, one exercise at a time shoulder exercise, biceps, triceps, quadriceps, hamstring, calf. For a while, the muscles on the inside of my forearms started to hurt, but when I started doing more rеps, the pain gradually started to disappear. I don't feel fatigued with this type of training and just aim to be able to do 12 or 15 reps (depending on the exercise, like for legs I do 12 reps) with a heavier weight. I work out about every other day and feel great. And purely psychologically, it is easier to focus on only one working set, in which you strive to lift 12 or 15 times the specified weight. I don't know where this way of training will take me, but for now I'm ok. However, my goal is also to lose weight or rather reduce a significant amount of fat.
This is close to what the late, Jack LaLanne said was an ideal training plan for older trainees. Do you post your training on the forum?

This is close to what the late, Jack LaLanne said was an ideal training plan for older trainees. Do you post your training on the forum?
I posted in my training log but stopped because it seems pointless. I have an app on my phone where I record everything.
The only problem for me is that I want to go to the gym more often. Which is why I have to train in a brother split or something like Upper-Lower or push-pull.

I posted in my training log but stopped because it seems pointless. I have an app on my phone where I record everything.
The only problem for me is that I want to go to the gym more often. Which is why I have to train in a brother split or something like Upper-Lower or push-pull.
Thanks for the response. Except for my college days, I've trained at home, on a 3rd floor attic bedroom growing up, and in a basement or garage gym since then. I've visited a few gyms near my former employers, but never liked the equipment or layout. One of my employers even offered us a discount for the one gym.

How long can one only base build before seeing negative impact from not pursuing peaking/strength bias?
I've thought a lot about the analogy of a training foundation with building a sand castle. You can only build so strong a foundation before you probably need to start building some towers. Otherwise how will you ever know if you've been building the right foundation or how strong your foundation really is?

Back
Top Bottom