WGS sequence
Box jumps
- +1 plate 2x2
- +1 plate 6x3
- +2 plates 2x2
Treadmill hill sprints 10x10s 9% 7.5mph
KB1HS 10x10 28
Tactical getups 10x10 20#

Since I'm kinda in the home stretch anyway, I'm going off the couch-to-10k program to move some things around - try to start getting more jogs in the mornings, and open a couple evenings for power work.

Spent a lot of time feeling out the box jumps - I'm a little worried about all the impact bothering my ankles or knees. Once I was pretty warm, hitting the 2-plate stack felt easy enough.

Box jumps…plates…?
Please explain Dr. Banner
I have a nice plyo box from Rogue, 30" tall when I put it at the tallest height. That's OK, but it's not a max-effort jump. So I stack my bumper plates on top (3.2" thick) to get more of a challenge. I've got up to 3 plates in the no-too-distant past, hopefully back there in a month or two when my knees get re-conditioned to it.

... I'm not jumping on to the box while holding extra weight, if that's what it sounded like... things ache just thinking about that.

Back in the day, I used to stack plyo boxes on top of each other for jumps. I got close to 5'. But, those were much younger knees.

5/8

AM
Agile 8
31min treadmill run/walk 2.4m

PM
Volleyball. Decent night, went 1-2 against a good team - they have a young guy who just has way more offense than we can defend (though I did manage a couple of blocks). One of my old teammates actually hates this team, she would start some drama with them almost every time we played... but now she's retired, and this team decided they like us so much they bought us shots afterwards. Lesson: be a graceful loser, sometimes there's booze in it for you.

I have a nice plyo box from Rogue, 30" tall when I put it at the tallest height. That's OK, but it's not a max-effort jump. So I stack my bumper plates on top (3.2" thick) to get more of a challenge. I've got up to 3 plates in the no-too-distant past, hopefully back there in a month or two when my knees get re-conditioned to it.

... I'm not jumping on to the box while holding extra weight, if that's what it sounded like... things ache just thinking about that.

Back in the day, I used to stack plyo boxes on top of each other for jumps. I got close to 5'. But, those were much younger knees.
Do you do ‘depth jumps’ as well?

Do you do ‘depth jumps’ as well?
Not since college, honestly. I've kinda been avoiding the eccentric phase altogether to stress my knees less; I make a little staircase with another box so I can step down from the tall box gently. That's probably the best thing about playing volleyball in the sand; soft landings.

I find that, even doing something like burpees, landing on a yoga mat rather than the hard floor helps me avoid knee or ankle pain.

Not since college, honestly. I've kinda been avoiding the eccentric phase altogether to stress my knees less; I make a little staircase with another box so I can step down from the tall box gently. That's probably the best thing about playing volleyball in the sand; soft landings.

I find that, even doing something like burpees, landing on a yoga mat rather than the hard floor helps me avoid knee or ankle pain.
One of the drills the PT’s had me doing for Plantar Fasciitis was a sort of modified depth jump off of a smallish box followed by a rebound ‘hop’. It was very effective…

5/9

WGS sequence
SQT 145#x5,185#x5,225#x5
BP 100#x5,125#x5,150#x5
Pullups x4,3,2,1
Humane burpee 32
Bar hangs x3
Ab wheel 3x(0,8)

Long pauses at the bottom on all the barbell lifts, so I felt less silly doing the deload weights.

I had read about the humane burpee once or twice, decided to give it a try. I thought the commercial gym had a 28 kettlebell, but turns out it was actually a 32 - went for it anyway. The wrist held up nicely, good sign. I certainly felt pretty wiped by the end, mostly because of the swings. I'll switch it up some next time to try to get more density of goblet squats and pushups.

Felt the severe lower back fatigue after bar hangs again, and realized that I must be arcing my back while I'm hanging. On the third hang I focused on staying in hollow position, felt a lot better. I did all the ab wheel work kneeling to avoid any aggravation to the lower back.

5/10

Agile 8
24min treadmill run/walk 1.8m

Missed out on an evening session due to family stuff.

5/11

Agile 8
61min outdoor run/walk 4.7m
Pullups x6,3,2,1

Another beautiful day outside, enjoying it while I can. The objective for today was to run 4 miles straight - did about 4.3 at roughly 12:30/mile pace, then some walking at the end. Felt plenty of leg fatigue the next day, but no pain.

Mini-test for pullups. There might have been 1 more rep in the tank, but it felt like it wouldn't have been as strict as I wanted.

Last edited:
5/13

WGS sequence
DL 300#x5, 345#x5, 390#x5
OP 105#x5, 125#x5, 140#x5
Pullups x4,3,3,2
Glute & shoulder circuit x3
Hangboard
Ab wheel 10x2
10min easy heavy bag work

Some groaning from the legs during deadlift, definite sign of not being fully recovered from the run on Saturday. Barbell weights need to stay static while I'm pushing toward the 10k run in 2 weeks.

Replaced the kettlebell presses in the shoulder circuit with some snatches with the 16 - wrist still holding up nicely.

Haven't hit the bag in a long time - felt very sloppy.

5/14

WGS sequence
Box jumps 10x3
Treadmill hill runs 10x10s 9%inc 7.5mph
KB1HS 10x10 24
28min treadmill run/walk 2.1m

Poor sleep the night before - I'm coming down with some kind of cough - led to feeling pretty wiped out in this session. Made it through well enough, but sleep was even worse the next night; this morning I feel like I got run over by a truck. Sickness definitely cuts into the recovery.

Last couple of days I've been dealing with some kind of respiratory infection - keeps messing with my sleep, and it's definitely slowing my recovery. Everything just feel sluggish.

5/15

Volleyball. We went 2-1. Really we should have thumped this team, but we were a little discombobulated by having 2 subs - one of whom was my son. He played great, had a couple of good spikes - he just needs to learn the transition from playing 6v6 to 4v4, it's a little bit of a different game. Hopefully the old man impressed him a little too.

5/16

WGS sequence
SQT 235#x5, 275#x5, 310#x5
BP 165#x5, 190#x5, 215#x5
Pullups x4,3,3,2
Bent press 12x1 16
Bar hangs x3
Ab wheel 3x(4,4)

Everything went OK, but this was definitely a grind with the little sickness going on. I didn't feel up to anything in the conditioning vein, so opted for the light bent presses instead. Focused on staying in hallow position during bar hangs, and didn't feel any lower back fatigue.

Back
Top Bottom