all posts post new thread

Recommendations/Reviews/FS/WTB Body fat measurement device

Products recommendations and reviews, items For Sale or Wanted To Buy
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

SamTX

Level 5 Valued Member
What are some good recommendations for a body fat measurement device for home use? Hoping not to break the bank.

What are some good recommendations for a body fat measurement device for home use?
Body Composition Assessments are Less Useful Than You Thin

use a mirror,
Or Tape Measure

BIA (bioelectrical impedance) is the only real affordable way of doing it at home other than calipers. There are a couple different types of bioelectrical, and they're all notoriously inaccurate and imprecise. You can significantly improve precision by having a pre-measure routine the night before and doing it first thing in the morning; it doesn't improve accuracy (true-to-life), it only improves precision (you'll see trends as you go up or down in bodyfat).

This means careful use of bioelectrical devices can help you see how your bodyfat is responding to your actions, without being "absolutely true" in regards to the number, e.g. if it shows your bodyfat went down from 25% to 20%, you can know pretty well that you DID lose bodyfat, but it doesn't actually mean you were at 25% or are currently at 20%.

Two questions, that you don't necessarily have to reply to with answers, just to think about:

1. Why do you want to measure bodyfat?
2. How will knowing your BF% cause you to adjust what you're doing moreso than the "eyeball test," the scale, or simple circumference measurements?

I used to use a handheld body fat monitor (one of the electrical-impedance gadgets), but I've backed off to just measuring my weight and waist circumference. An article on this topic came out recently on Stronger By Science:

BIA (bioelectrical impedance) is the only real affordable way of doing it at home other than calipers. There are a couple different types of bioelectrical, and they're all notoriously inaccurate and imprecise. You can significantly improve precision by having a pre-measure routine the night before and doing it first thing in the morning; it doesn't improve accuracy (true-to-life), it only improves precision (you'll see trends as you go up or down in bodyfat).

This means careful use of bioelectrical devices can help you see how your bodyfat is responding to your actions, without being "absolutely true" in regards to the number, e.g. if it shows your bodyfat went down from 25% to 20%, you can know pretty well that you DID lose bodyfat, but it doesn't actually mean you were at 25% or are currently at 20%.

Two questions, that you don't necessarily have to reply to with answers, just to think about:

1. Why do you want to measure bodyfat?
2. How will knowing your BF% cause you to adjust what you're doing moreso than the "eyeball test," the scale, or simple circumference measurements?
I would like a number to show that what I am doing is working.

When I come home from work my wife knows instantly if I went to Burgerking for lunch. I actually look fatter that day. My love handles get larger when I gain weight. Also my pants. When I no longer need to sinch the string on my sweats I know I am getting bigger.

How will that number cause you to adjust what you're doing? Does the scale or a circumference not seem to be changing despite feeling like what you're doing is working?

A decent set of bio impedance scales will work for that. Take your measurement every day under the same conditions (I do first thing in the morning after I’ve been to the toilet and before drinking or eating) and don’t rely on any day’s result but take a rolling seven day average. That will tell you up, down or no change pretty reliably

Waist to height measurment is a solid indicator to keep track of.
Else if you want more granular you can use Tim Ferriss's "Total Inches" from his 4 hour body book. Basically add up the inches of your arm, waist, chest, hips, mid thigh. Track it over time
To convert to metric use metric.

I'd stay away from any at home bodyfat measurement device. They will swing a lot and aren't anywhere near consistent enough to track progress.

Does anyone know if there is a real medical or performance based reason for accurately knowing one’s body fat percentage?

Does anyone know if there is a real medical or performance based reason for accurately knowing one’s body fat percentage?
Debatably the P ratio, the ratio between lean muscle and bodyfat gained. Muscle gains decrease at higher bodyfat percentages due to insulin resistance... debatably.

Then there is also just general health as excess body fat causes a lot of health issues. Some IF dieters (and other dieters as well, but IF seemed pronounced) who don't do resistance exercise and drop weight will end up metabolically worse off as their body fat increases and lean tissue decreases. (don't have the study, but heard it from the Peter Attia Tim Ferriss Q&A from a couple years ago)

Although in both cases, high accuracy isn't necessary to get actionable data. But accurate enough and reliable is important.

You can get cheap calipers on internet for $5. They will give you numbers to compare over time and if you use them the same way in the same spots you will easily see the relative difference without getting too hung up on calculating %ages. I use combination of mirror, scales and less frequently the cheap calipers for some "hard" numbers

Debatably the P ratio, the ratio between lean muscle and bodyfat gained. Muscle gains decrease at higher bodyfat percentages due to insulin resistance... debatably.

Then there is also just general health as excess body fat causes a lot of health issues. Some IF dieters (and other dieters as well, but IF seemed pronounced) who don't do resistance exercise and drop weight will end up metabolically worse off as their body fat increases and lean tissue decreases. (don't have the study, but heard it from the Peter Attia Tim Ferriss Q&A from a couple years ago)

Although in both cases, high accuracy isn't necessary to get actionable data. But accurate enough and reliable is important.
Yeah… obviously excess fat can be both a health and a performance issue, but the point I was (maybe obliquely) making, is that for most purposes the mirror and maybe tape measure are going to be accurate enough. (i.e. actionable data) What quantifiable health or performance improvements can be garnered from going from say… 15% to 12% body fat for example.

Yeah… obviously excess fat can be both a health and a performance issue, but the point I was (maybe obliquely) making, is that for most purposes the mirror and maybe tape measure are going to be accurate enough. (i.e. actionable data) What quantifiable health or performance improvements can be garnered from going from say… 15% to 12% body fat for example.
I'm dense....
Little to none. Pretty much the only reason to get a dexa is for doing research studies where accuracy matters. Although I don't complain about people paying universities to use them to offset the cost for said studies.

This caliper is good. I have it and find it to work extremely well. Basically it comes with a chart an instructions on where to measure. For men, the upper outer pec area, the abdomen just lateral to the umbilicus, and the anterior thigh. You add the 3 measurements up, in mm, and check the chart and your age for your estimated body fat.

The tricky part is getting accurate measurements to measure your trends. You will have questions about how to accurately measure yourself without a helper, how much skin to grab, etc. to get reproducible results. But with a little practice I think I've gotten pretty reliable. It helps to do 3 separate measurements the same day and average the results.

This will be your cheapest option, and likely not any less accurate than other options short of DXA measurement.

Speaking of that, you can get DXA scans for less than 100 bucks. If you want to do that yearly to track your results, that may be affordable and worth it to you.

I also agree with other comments that the eyeball test comparing examples of pictures vs you in the mirror are pretty accurate. So before/after photos are probably also helpful to monitor progress to.

Good Caliper

Yes, this is a pretty good caliper for the price.

A Good Technicial

A Good Technician that has calipered hundreds of individual can obtain a fairly accurate reading.

Test Sites

To obain the most consistent and accurate reading, you need a pen and a tape measure.

How And Why To Measure Your Body Fat Percentage

Information in this article defines how to determine the right spot to measure each time.

To ensure the right spot is measured each time, you need a tape measure to point it.

You need a pen to then mark it the spot.

Caliper Reliability

The foundation of this method of determine body fat percentages is based off dissecting five cadavers.

Obviouly none of these individual were normal, heathy individual; which is an issue.

Law Of Large Numbers

The larger the number of individual in a study, the greater the accuracy.

Measuring five cadavers is an incrediblythe low number; which mean the accuracy of it is questionable.

There is also the issue with determing the body fat percentages of different ethnic groups...

Measures of body composition in blacks and whites: a comparative review

ABSTRACT

Biological differences exist in the body composition of blacks and whites.
We reviewed literature on the differences and similarities between the 2 races relative to fat-free body mass (water, mineral, and protein), fat patterning, and body dimensions and proportions. In general, blacks have a greater bone mineral density and body protein content than do whites, resulting in a greater fat-free body density. Additionally, there are racial differences in the distribution of subcutaneous fat and the length of the limbs relative to the trunk. The possibility that these differences are a result of ethnicity rather than of race is also examined. Because most equations that predict relative body fat were derived from predominantly white samples, biological variation between the races in these body-composition indexes has practical significance. Systematic error can result in the inaccurate estimation of the relative body fat of blacks, and therefore of definitions of obesity, if these inherent differences are ignored.

For additional inforamation...

Post 22

the mirror and maybe tape measure are going to be accurate enough.
Bingo!

The mirror and tape measure are effective.

excess fat can be both a health and a performance issue,
Big Fat Lies
Dr Glenn Gaessner

In other word, don't judge the book nor the individual by the cover.

Being thin doesn't necessarily mean you are healthy nor does being over weight mean you are not healthy.

Gaessner breaks it down in...

1667667877068.png

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom