all posts post new thread

Old Forum BW Legs Feedback & Question for Pavel/SFG

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

JonS

Level 7 Valued Member
Pavel,

I've been following the "bodyweight legs" program for several months, performed immediately after S&S practice. Worked up to a daily 100 BW SQ w/heels on board, then onto the program from Lyuburtsi: 50 BW, 30 w/bar, 30 bar+weight 3 times per week.

My goal is to bulletproof my knee tendons and ligaments to support a return to competitive judo. After an ACL replacement/meniscus repair 2 and 1/2 years ago, I've been more susceptible to occasional mild knee sprains/strains which adversely affects practice. My Surgeon has cleared me for all activities.

When doing the "daily 100" my knee felt the most stable and strains were non-existent. Activities included Judo practice, swiftwater rescue training, and other things that keep orthopedic docs in business. Additionally, I found that I actually "dig the burn" for legs. After switching to the Lyuburtsi program, I didn't experience the quite the same feeling of stability as before. However, I'm not sure that means anything.

Would you recommend I spend a bit more time on the BW only portion prior to adding weight, perhaps increasing the reps, considering my tendon/ligament focus? Perhaps ST + plus BW? Or even stay the course on the Lyuburtsi program?

Thanks for your consideration and advice, this program has done more for my knee health than anything else I've done.

Respectfully,

Jon

Is this the program to which you're referring?

http://www.strongfirst.com/topic/bodyweight-legs-everyday-for-pavel/

-S-

Pavel,

The Doc said to "keep getting your quad stronger, high rep".

My goals are to remain healthy (and have decent knees in old age) and compete in judo, recreationally at a minimum.

Thank you for considering my question.

v/r

Jon

Jon, speaking as one person with an injury history to another, ultimately you need to find what works for you.  You say, "After switching to the Lyuburtsi program, I didn’t experience the quite the same feeling of stability as before. However, I’m not sure that means anything."  Well, yes, it might mean something and it might not.  I'm afraid only you can be the judge of that unless you want to enlist you doctor's aid and he can tell you if your knee is somehow less stable than before.

Your health should be your first priority - what helps keep your knees healthy ought to be in your program, and what makes them worse should be eliminated.  You may revisit movements and activities that don't seem to work for you now periodically in the future - it may be that six months or a year from now, your knee will work better enough that you can do some different things.

Best of luck to you.

-S-

Steve,

Thanks for the advice. The more I thought about it, the more I had started to come to the same conclusion. Thank you for confirming it.

After posting the question a couple of days ago, I referenced Super Joints and Beyond Bodybuilding and believe that I will keep in the daily 100 BW SQ (working towards 200) for the time being and see where that takes me. When and if I'm ready to add in heavy/additional work, I'll cross that bridge at that time.

The measure of success will be sprain free practice and competition. State Games are on May 30, and I will compete for the first time in over 2 years.

I'm frustrated from the post surgery/physical therapy experience. PT is designed to return an average adult to regular life, which mine is not. Having followed Pavel's work since he was writing for Muscle Media, I don't fit into the "typical" adult metrics for PT or even injury screening (my ACL separation went undiagnosed for 6 months due to leg strength).

Regardless, in due time I'll repost and share where the path took me; perhaps someone will benefit.

v/r

Jon

Jon, I would make the "daily 100" your only squats and add some hip hinging (swings, DL, etc.)

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom