all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Call for Research Participants

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

CMarker

Level 4 Valued Member
Elite Certified Instructor
Hello,
We are putting out a call for research participants for Pavel's newest round of protocols. There are three types of protocols and all last 6 weeks:
  1. Snatch and Press body composition
  2. Swing protocol to improve your Simple and Sinister swings
  3. Snatch protocol to improve TSC snatches (starting this protocol around March 7th for April 23rd TSC)
If you are interested and you can commit to providing results, please fill out this short form:
Research Participant Sign-Up

(If you are already part of the A+A protocols, I would suggest you finish it before starting one of these.)

Last edited:
I would be highly interested in in the snatch protocol. This is by far my weakest area with kettlebells and would love to improve.

Is there a specific set date for all of them? March 7th would be a perfect time for me to begin, my 8 week Even Easier Strength program finishes up the last week of February

I'm currently doing SS with the 24 working on adding in the 32. Would the swing protocol be right for me at this point in SS? Thanks.

Reactions: BJJ
I would be highly interested in in the snatch protocol. This is by far my weakest area with kettlebells and would love to improve.

Is there a specific set date for all of them? March 7th would be a perfect time for me to begin, my 8 week Even Easier Strength program finishes up the last week of February
Sounds like a great plan. The snatch protocol could start anytime. However, it would work best culminating at the TSC. Go ahead and sign up with the link above.

I'm currently doing SS with the 24 working on adding in the 32. Would the swing protocol be right for me at this point in SS? Thanks.
Simple and Sinister is a great plan by itself. These plans provide an alternative to boosting your swings. It would be appropriate, but continuing in Simple and Sinister is also great.

Just wondering if you could provide more info about the press,snatch body composition before I request the plan. How many days a week? The plan just for body comp or are there performance goals that should expect from it also? How many different bell sizes? Thanks

Just wondering if you could provide more info about the press,snatch body composition before I request the plan. How many days a week? The plan just for body comp or are there performance goals that should expect from it also? How many different bell sizes? Thanks
I can't give away all of the specifics as we want to randomize and to keep out bias in having people choose programs. However, you will train about 4 days a week and need at least two kettlebells for snatches (heavy and standard size you use), and two for presses (10 rep max bell and one that is lighter). You might expect changes in press strength, endurance, and body composition (and any 'WTH' effects that come with it).

Potentially excellent timing. I'll be ready to start a new program at the end of January, and was thinking of spending some time on body comp.

@CMarker , do you know when you'll be selecting participants and sending programs?

Thanks

Potentially excellent timing. I'll be ready to start a new program at the end of January, and was thinking of spending some time on body comp.

@CMarker , do you know when you'll be selecting participants and sending programs?

Thanks
I will send them out in batches. In general, people should know within a week (I will let you know today)

Would I have to stop other programming to do this study? Will be in middle of a competition phase.
Some programs allow leeway in what else you are doing (e.g., a TSC snatch program is training for the snatches; it gives ideas for deadlift training, but you might be in the middle of your own). Email me specifics and I can give you a definitive answer (craig.marker@strongfirst.com)

Hi Craig, is the snatch and press body comp thing something that will fit with other training or is it to be exclusive?

I am currently focussing on on running, with three or four 45 minute runs a week, but am also currently doing med-heavy one arm presses and light snatches along the lines of the original RKC program minimum.

Hi Craig, is the snatch and press body comp thing something that will fit with other training or is it to be exclusive?

I am currently focussing on on running, with three or four 45 minute runs a week, but am also currently doing med-heavy one arm presses and light snatches along the lines of the original RKC program minimum.
For the snatch and press programs, it really should be your only focus. They were created in combination to enhance strength and endurance. Pavel will say more in future work, but we are trying to avoid the glycolytic work to enhance aerobic and alactic systems. Thanks for your question.

I submitted for the snatch and press, but won't be able to start until beginning March. I assume these will be single kb lifts not doubles? Only have single 16,24,32

I submitted for the snatch and press, but won't be able to start until beginning March. I assume these will be single kb lifts not doubles? Only have single 16,24,32
It is okay to start in the beginning of March. Take a look at the protocol I sent. You should probably be okay with the kettlebells you have. Good luck

@CMarker

How many days/sessions a week is the TSC Snatch protocol and Snatch/Press composition?

I will sign up for one or the other based on that.

Thanks!

This is pretty cool doing "in house" research. Just curious if you are using any sort of control group. I signed up for the snatch and press body comp.

Signed up for snatch and press body comp. Need to get leaner and need to practice snatches for cert. Win win for me.

This is pretty cool doing "in house" research. Just curious if you are using any sort of control group. I signed up for the snatch and press body comp.
Whether we use a control group depends on the study. In most of these preliminary studies, we are testing multiple protocols against each other (all are thought to work). We have an article coming out soon where we compare one of the round 1 protocols against a control group.

@CMarker, @ramblingjon, I don't think we want specific questions about these protocols posted on the public forum. Craig will give you guidance as to where and how it's appropriate to ask these kinds of questions. Craig's protocols are not being handled the same way as Al's.

Thanks very much.

-S-

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom