all posts post new thread

Old Forum Chalk and Sweaty Hands

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

JarrettShep

Level 2 Valued Member
Does anybody have recommendations for a way to combat hand sweat when training? The humidity is starting to crank back up in Alabama and I tend to lose my grip while swinging or snatching because of the sweat.

Is chalk the best way to go and if so, where is can I get some? Or are there any other ways to help hold onto to the bell despite the hand sweat?

Thanks!

A long time since I visited Alabama, but I remember it was hot indeed.

Wrist-wraps are helpful. Also a sticky magnesium as well as sand-papered kb-handles.

Thanks for starting this thread OP as I'm struggling with my grip as the weather gets warmer and I am graduating to some heavier bells.   I started wrapping my wrists with Ace bandages and that helps at least a little bit.   I'm gonna get some sand-paper attachments for my drill and start working on that handle :)

If anybody has specific advice on chalk I could use some help on that topic.  Any brands better than other?

We just started with bog standard climbing chalk and used that with clients for about 7 months.......although we live in Canada, believe it or not, we do get hot weather ;)

We then moved onto Gym Chalk from Muscle Driver......only reason for moving from the climbing chalk was they ran out and there was an 8 week back order.......the gym chalk we have is awesome in comparison....comes in blocks.......

So if you are just wanting to start out, then climbing chalk from a good outdoor retailer may be a start......however I would defo recommend the gym chalk

Here's a link [NOT affiliated, just sharing!!]

http://www.muscledriverusa.com/search.asp?keyword=chalk&search=GO

2nd for that Chalk, been using it for a couple of years and it will last forever if  you buy the box.  I also use regular wrist band from UA and keeps the sweat from my arms from going down to my hands.

Another option is Tite Grip, my clients love it. Be sure hands are clean and dry before applying.

http://www.amazon.com/Tite-Grip-Hands-Feet-Sweat/dp/B0015R4AUS

I have regular weightlifting chalk that I ordered from Ironmind.com that works well.

I just got liquid chalk in the mail that I ordered from amazon.com.  I haven't had the chance to use it yet.

http://liquidgrip.com/

Gets pretty warm here in Aus too. I use climbing chalk but find too much can also be a problem.

Sometimes if I don't want to use chalk I'll keep a warm damp cloth nearby and wipe the handle down after each set to get all the grease off.

Also wiping the bells down with windex gets them very grease free.

Wearing sweat bands also helps, as can giving your hands a good wash in hot soapy water before you start.

Being in the extremely humid climate of Brisbane & fighting that as well, I found that wiping my forearms regularly and sweat bands in the intens work days worked well. Problem I found with chalk was that when it really gets bad, the chalk becomes slime and then a balled up mess.

Also you can make your own liquid chalk using regular climbing chalk and antibacterial hand gel.  Gives a very different result to just using chalk.

+1 for Bill Savage's comment.  After a while its like swinging with toothpast on your hands.  I had the best luck with wrist bands a long sleeve wicking shirt, and a couple gym towels to use on the handle between sets.   Also discovered that grip got ridiculously strong after a little while.

Sweat makes your grip even stronger!  98 degrees with 100% humidity in Florida makes it pretty tough to bust out a bunch of swings - I just have to do them in the grass in case it goes flying!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom