all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Cycling and KB

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

J.C.S.

Level 4 Valued Member
Anyone incorporate kettlebells with cycling (or any other aerobic activity)? I would like to ride a century and a few gravel grinders this season and curious to see how others prioritize this type of training.

Man Cave Training Log

7fb9842c-aa31-47ec-a659-231261d8c6b3

Yes, just finished 10 weeks of kettlebell training combined with aerobic base training using cycling. The link below to my training log takes you to October when I started the 10-week program. Before that I have been focusing on kettelbells for a few years, but always continued at least one ride per week, and have also done some running off and on. I'd like to ride a century or two this year as well! I've done 6 or 7 total, 2009 as my first and 2014 was my most recent. What a great way to spend a day, riding 100 miles on a bike! (I know, people think we're crazy :eek:)
http://www.strongfirst.com/community/threads/anna-c-training-log.5881/page-14#post-75843
If you see anything of interest or any specific questions, feel free to ask here, or in my log...

As an overall description, aerobic training at a low intensity (MAF HR) can be combined with just about anything to good effect, but when you start upping the intensity of the cardio exercise (such as tempo rides trying to get faster on the bike), you have to scale back somewhere else. You only have so many resources...

Last edited:
Hello,

@J.C.S.
I think that Anna's training log is already full of the best information you may find.

Another modest option I can give you would be an EMOM protocol with sntaches or C&J (5 each side then rest for the rest of the minutes) during ten or 15 minutes.

This is just my humbe two cents comparing to what Anna can explain !

Kind regards,

Pet'

@Anna C I will peruse your log and will probably think of a few questions for you! I have completed one century and the mental aspect was the most difficult part for me (thought it was tougher than finishing my marathons). Want to work on building my base of miles while maintaining kettlebell practice. Bucket list of completing RAGBRAI and/or Dirty Kanza 200 in my 5 year plan!

@pet' Will have to play around with the EMOM template!

Anyone incorporate kettlebells with cycling (or any other aerobic activity)? I would like to ride a century and a few gravel grinders this season and curious to see how others prioritize this type of training.

Man Cave Training Log

As an avid road cyclist, I can honestly say that S&S significantly improved my endurance and core strength so necessary for fast and efficient pedaling. I compete in hill climb TTs, so the kettlebell is an ideal cross training tool. Climbing requires total body strength, not just legs. Kettlebells are also a great supplement for cyclists who don't have the luxury of daily 4-6 hour training rides. I found that with S&S, I could still compete without the enormous time investment on the road. Sur la Plaque, brother, put it on the big ring!

Hello,

@J.C.S.
S&S will give you a incredible aerobic base, and very fast. Before, I used to run 1h30 three times a week. I progressively switch to other routine and finally did S&S as my conditioning tool. I can still run 1h30 at the same pace.

It also helps me a lot for swimming, which requires power, endurance and breathing.

You will certainly not be disappointed !

Kind regards,

Pet'

Man Cave Training Log

I think that you will find a lot of endurance athletes here that value strength as a part of their foundation. And many such as Anna, and others including myself incorporate KB training.

I actively participate (and have participated over the years) in a variety of high endurance activities:
Road Cycling Racing
Mountain Biking
Trail Running
Obstacle Course Racing
Alpine Climbing

KB training and other forms of strength training are in my opinion an integral part of endurance training; unfortunately a principle I discovered later in life than I would have liked.

(Note: I will be riding the Barry-Roubaix 62 mile gravel road race this spring)

Lots of good advice for your needs here at SF. As mentioned earlier Anna has lots of good stuff for your perusal.

The old-fashioned idea of an annual schedule is important, too. Traditionally, endurance athletes do more strength training in their off-season.

-S-

I read S&S last night and decided to give it a go. I really like the simplicity of the program and think it will be an excellent strength accessory in line with my main goal of increasing time in the saddle and getting back down to a lighter BW. My background with KB has always been GS centered and this will be my first HS program. Will post technique videos soon of 1H swing and TGU.

Today was my first session. I rode the trainer for 60 min and followed it with some prying goblet squats and halos. Should have done the bridges to lengthen psoas but did not.
24kg 1H swings 5x10 (switched hands every 5 reps)
16kg TGU 5x1

Have never done HS 1 arm swings and really enjoyed it. Felt very crisp and powerful. The TGU def. need work, need to get some proper matting because the lunge kills the osgood-schlatter on my left knee (ANYONE ELSE have this condition and ideas for solution?)

With my work schedule of working three 12 hr days I believe S&S can be done close to daily and not get burnt out. The cycling will be kept to my four days off.

I really enjoyed Pavel's book and appreciate the simplicity of the program.

I’ve been doing S&S wince Feb 1st last year. I moved up from 16 kg to 40kg now and this is about my body’s maximum tolerance it seems for the programme although I’ve bought the 48 and I’ll try for it eventually.

I frequently go for hikes and long walks of over 75 minutes at a time. I also have restarted kendo after a hiatus of a few years.

I do think there is a bit of a conflict for energy between S&S and any kind of demanding cardio work. I do not do S&S on Monday, which is kendo night for me. Also, working all day, then doing a 75 minute walk, and then also 20-30 minutes of S&S with the 40kg is a bit much. I don’t have a problem both hiking and doing S&S on a day off work, but everything together really is a bit overly draining for me.

I find that for the way my body works, I need the dedicated "cardio" workouts because I refuse to "watch what I eat". There is also a relationship between the assymetry of walking (or jogging or cycling) and the assymetry of the S&S 1h swings and getups. These things complement each other. I think it is acceptable sometimes to hike instead of doing S&S on a given day if I’m very tired after it.

S&S is indeed "cardio" at least for me as the swings and getups make my heart pump hard and fast. What determines my rest time between sets is my heart rate.

Overall, I think if someone is heavily into cardio stuff, it probably has to cut into the number of days a week you’re doing S&S.

Cycling or running or hiking for a significant chunk of time are great exercises so I don’t think we’d find anyone suggesting to chose to NOT do those on a given day but to prefer S&S instead. But, I can’t imagine why anyone would want to do exclusively cardio and not build strength and muscle.

S&S can be toned down to only twice a week if you’re heavily involved in other exercises. I could see a dedicated cyclist maybe taking a few days of cycling a week in order to pursue Simple and Sinister goals and to top up their strength and power in ways that cycling cannot quite do for them.

Hello,

@J.C.S.
S&S will give you a incredible aerobic base, and very fast. Before, I used to run 1h30 three times a week. I progressively switch to other routine and finally did S&S as my conditioning tool. I can still run 1h30 at the same pace.

It also helps me a lot for swimming, which requires power, endurance and breathing.

You will certainly not be disappointed !

Kind regards,

Pet'
To add to this, I have found that S&S improves my aerobic and cardio conditioning immensely. I’ll also add though that a long hike or sports session seems to be at least for me more of a fat-burner than S&S is. I’m talking LONG hike or sports sesion, like 75 minutes to 2 hours or so, not a short one!

I do think there is a bit of a conflict for energy between S&S and any kind of demanding cardio work.

I agree, but the key word there is "demanding." If you keep the intensity low, there is a lot less of a conflict.

The simplest way to keep the cardio "undemanding" is to keep the HR below MAF value when doing it.

Build up slowly, and quite a large volume of LSD cardio can be done without adding significantly to the training load. Benefits: health, endurance, slow-twitch fiber development, aerobic base, recovery ability, stress reduction, fat burning, and - if you pick the right activity - enjoyment.

This past week, I tried adding in 2 days of light running, about 35 minutes, keeping to MAF principles. I'm primarily working on S&S, but not finding that my conditioning is improving as much as I'd like (time until heart rate returns to a rate that won't spike me over MAF + 5 or so). I'm experimenting if a longer duration activity right at the MAF HR will help with this.

I haven't run in years, though, so 35 minutes is leaving me quite sore, and I am agonizingly slow. But once the soreness goes, I will watch to see if my S&S times are improving at all.

Hello,

getting back down to a lighter BW
S&S will surely help you to get lighter. However, a proper diet is also helping a lot. Lots of folks here combine S&S with either warrior diet or keto diet and report good results

ANYONE ELSE have this condition and ideas for solution?
Did you try using a kneepad. It does not reduce flexibility for the move and will also protect you.

With my work schedule of working three 12 hr days I believe S&S can be done close to daily and not get burnt out
Exactly. S&S is conceived to be done daily or almost daily. Nevertheless, if you are tired, then do not train, or train lighter. 12hr a day is a good amount of work. Basically, a session lasts around 30 or 40 minutes (including warm up and a little of stretching).

Kind regards,

Pet'

not finding that my conditioning is improving as much as I'd like (time until heart rate returns to a rate that won't spike me over MAF + 5 or so). I'm experimenting if a longer duration activity right at the MAF HR will help with this.

The improvements that come from MAF HR training are fairly slow in coming... Such is life, and our biology. Many or most of them take a few months or more.

What type of a response are you seeing now? Do you wear a HR monitor and have a graph, by chance? Feel free to PM me if I can help interpret what you're seeing.

I haven't run in years, though, so 35 minutes is leaving me quite sore, and I am agonizingly slow.

Slow is fine, and expected, when starting out running at MAF HR. But the soreness sounds excessive for that amount of time. How's your gait/technique? What sort of soreness do you get?

This past week, I tried adding in 2 days of light running, about 35 minutes, keeping to MAF principles. I'm primarily working on S&S, but not finding that my conditioning is improving as much as I'd like (time until heart rate returns to a rate that won't spike me over MAF + 5 or so). I'm experimenting if a longer duration activity right at the MAF HR will help with this.

I haven't run in years, though, so 35 minutes is leaving me quite sore, and I am agonizingly slow. But once the soreness goes, I will watch to see if my S&S times are improving at all.
Hahaha, in my not so humble opinion it's because S&S is a HUGE workout, not that there is anything wrong with your stamina. Hahaha! Even with (for me) the "sissy" 32kg weight, my heart rate goes up pretty high and heavy, and I have to wait between reps, particularly past the 4th or 5th one in both the swings and getups. :)

Hello,

S&S will surely help you to get lighter. However, a proper diet is also helping a lot. Lots of folks here combine S&S with either warrior diet or keto diet and report good results

Did you try using a kneepad. It does not reduce flexibility for the move and will also protect you.

Exactly. S&S is conceived to be done daily or almost daily. Nevertheless, if you are tired, then do not train, or train lighter. 12hr a day is a good amount of work. Basically, a session lasts around 30 or 40 minutes (including warm up and a little of stretching).

Kind regards,

Pet'
Very interesting regarding S&S making people lighter. In my experience I have healthily gained about 2kg bodyweight. What I mean by healthily is that I'm leaner but heavier, not fatter. I noticed that when I have been careful to do S&S every single day for a few weeks I got an almost model-like physique, but if it's like it normally is and I miss days here or there I still am terrifically strong and physically prepared for anything and with great cardio and all, but I certainly do have a little bit of excess meat lingering around on my body. This factor has played a role in my decision to get back to more frequent "cardio" activities outside of S&S - not because S&S doesn't do it well enough, but of course for overall natural movement, since walking is so natural for us, but mainly to make up for the lost S&S days when I'm too knackered to pick up the weight.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom