all posts post new thread

Old Forum Dips v pushups

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Matt

Level 3 Valued Member
At the moment I do heavy weighted dips as the only movement for tricep/shoulder/chest focus.  Yet was wondering if there is an (better) alternative - thinking the pushup?  I know it is maybe more chest intensive than the dip? Thinking it could be done weighted (probably need more weight as there is less bodyweight involvement) - the pushup would allow more variation with handplacements.  Different core stabilisation perhaps, less back/trap involvement than the dip?

I remember in one of Pavel's books the Russians rate the dip quite highly - pushup not mentioned, yet it seems the one-arm version is a measure of strength in this community (correct me if I'm wrong).

Matt,

Dips are great. So are push ups. As you noticed, loading weighted push ups is very difficult, and requires a lot of plates to get enough of a strength stimulus. One arm push ups are likely a better progression.

Do 'em both.  I like to use dips with more of a focus on the tricep and pushups for the chest.

They're both great. And you can always make the pushup harder with more advanced variations. The one arm pushup is a true test of strength and the planche is insanely tough. No reason why you can't do both

I was thinking one arm pushups so thanks for the suggestion.  Yet I think I could crank one out now - a bit messy, but still.  So would have to make it strict - then ?  I like dips, but if I didn't have a dip "station" would be a bit lost.  Could do the seated version, but never have rated them.

Regarding dips: two chairs/stools works pretty well, though might not want to weight them too heavy.

Matt,

weighted pushups are fantastic but are waaaaaay too difficult to set up. Unless you have a training partner, your workout will suffer due to the time you'll spend trying to put weight on your back. Now, if youre only talking about a 25lb or 45lb plate, its not too bad but anything more than that and it's gonna feel like sh*t. Dips are frickin awesome because you can load the crap out of them. As long as you have a loading pin and a weight belt, you can pretty much dip unlimited weight. Trust me, some things aren't worth the hassle such as weighted pushups

Thanks for the heads up Andy and Eric - I've seen the two-stools setup end in tears!  :)

The strict one-arm pushup (one leg one arm) would be a good goal and useful, so might give that a go for a  few months.

Matt, if you can safely do dips, you do not need any other presses.  Just add weight.

Still do some get-ups for shoulder health.

Thank Pavel for the advice - fortunately I have no issues with dips! so will keep doing them. For some reason they feel good when grinding out a heavy rep slow-mo. Like grinding out a DL max.
Interesting you mention getups. I do them, yet the shoulder aspect of them seems to be my weak link at the moment.

weighted dips are one of my favorite things for developing tri's and lower pecs.  pushups activate tri's too, but (depending on hand placement) focus more on the pec major.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom