all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Does the brand of kettlebell really matter?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
All of my KBs are pro bells. I just like uniformity and knowing the bells will feel the same no matter the weight. Pavel wrote in S&S something to the effect of "with proper care, your kettlebells will outlast you. You may as well get good ones."

I like to imagine passing the KBs onto my child one day. Maybe my 4 year daughter will want a crack at them? :)

I like the Ader KB line--wider base (more stable for renegade rows)and handle --easier to accommodate for 2 handed swings..I find the Rogue and Perform Better handles to have a slippery feel to them.There are many to choose from--find one that works for you.

Brand doesn't really matter, and overall casting quality doesn't matter either as long as you have some sandpaper and a file.

The dimensions are critical though, the space between bell and underside of the handle cannot be too pinched or the KB will be one cruel tool. Also handle dimension should be checked. The one KB I bought online without handling first is my least favorite (old Perform Better 32 - I am more comfortable stacking a 20lber on my 50lb than using that thing).

I have one of the old DD bells, one Perform Better, and a couple of Body Solid in imperial weights - I knocked the epoxy coating off of those with a ball pein hammer and repainted them - huge improvement.

I have one Extreme Monkey competition bell, but wish I'd bought a fitness type bell instead. Good spacing is everything, the rest can be taken care of if necessary.

Does anyone else have an issue with rubber coated bells? I find that these bells leave my wrists raw after extended use. I have rid myself of all my rubber coated bells.

I have one Extreme Monkey competition bell, but wish I'd bought a fitness type bell instead. Good spacing is everything, the rest can be taken care of if necessary.

Do you like the Extreme Monkey Kettlebells. A local fitness store started carrying them, and they are the cheapest I have seen. Advertised at $1.29/lb. That is $68.11 for a 24kg. I have been wanting to upgrade some of my bells. Cast Iron Kettlebells - up to 106lbs | exercise equipment | Calgary | Kijiji

My 32kg/70lb is a crappy Canadian brand, Northern Lights, and the leverage is terrible. My 56kg is easier to maintain a straight wrist. It's like I am arm wrestling with the bell in the rack. Makes for strong wrist flexors, but a less than ideal bell.

Last edited:
@Geoff Chafe,
I don't have any problems with mine. The handle finish was good enough I never bothered to sand or file it. The brand punch is deeper than I'd like and its getting mashed up a bit from bouncing around and being stacked with my other KBs, but overall is a good buy.

I picked mine up at a local retail that had used them for a competition they hosted, so I got an even bigger discount than the already low price - was a no-brainer. That said, I wish I'd gotten a fitness type bell instead, as I do a lot of compound, two hands hold by the horns and the comp shape is a tight fit for this.

Your 32 sounds like mine - the space is barely wide enough to balance the thing, the handle is massive. Is an older Perform Better - pretty sure the handle is steel, cast into an iron body. It stinks for anything but two handed swings, but I still use it.

Does anyone else have an issue with rubber coated bells? I find that these bells leave my wrists raw after extended use. I have rid myself of all my rubber coated bells.

Get a utility knife and cut the rubber off, spray paint the color of your choice.

I have used them before at a club to which I had a temporary membership - very uncomfortable.

Brand doesn't really matter, and overall casting quality doesn't matter either as long as you have some sandpaper and a file.

The dimensions are critical though, the space between bell and underside of the handle cannot be too pinched or the KB will be one cruel tool. Also handle dimension should be checked. The one KB I bought online without handling first is my least favorite (old Perform Better 32 - I am more comfortable stacking a 20lber on my 50lb than using that thing).

I have one of the old DD bells, one Perform Better, and a couple of Body Solid in imperial weights - I knocked the epoxy coating off of those with a ball pein hammer and repainted them - huge improvement.

North Coast Miller, I think the dimensions of the KBs I have now are why I have a problem with the snatch. Never had that problem with DD KBs. Good spacing is important, Thanks!

Do you like the Extreme Monkey Kettlebells. A local fitness store started carrying them, and they are the cheapest I have seen. Advertised at $1.29/lb. That is $68.11 for a 24kg. I have been wanting to upgrade some of my bells. Cast Iron Kettlebells - up to 106lbs | exercise equipment | Calgary | Kijiji

My 32kg/70lb is a crappy Canadian brand, Northern Lights, and the leverage is terrible. My 56kg is easier to maintain a straight wrist. It's like I am arm wrestling with the bell in the rack. Makes for strong wrist flexors, but a less than ideal bell.

If you are shopping in Alberta or British Columbia, try Fitness Town Perfect Surface Kettlebells. They are comparatively priced and seem to be of very good quality.

@CRW I have a few Perfect Surface Kettlebells from Fitness Town in Edmonton. I like them and they were reasonably priced. Whenever I visit Edmonton I always shop there. They have quality stuff and good prices.

Yes @Shawn Strongfirst uses the Perform brand which are fine kettlebells. Whatever you get just make sure to buy quality and read the reviews. The casting on lower end bells can cause you problems with your hands especially when doing snatches. I think the best bang for the buck are the Rogue bells. Great quality, casting, looks, and price. I just bought a 24k for just over $80 and that included shipping.

Hasbro after a little research I decided to go with the Rogue. I should have a 16 and 24 k on my door step January 2nd. I sold my lower end bells which were bought at a local store. Thanks for the recommendation.

Last edited:
I will give another vote for Rogue bells... they are the cheapest and highest quality that I have found... even paying shipping they are cheaper than some of the local places.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom