all posts post new thread

Elbow pain from Pullups/chinups

Does anyone have any insight as to wrist position at the top? I often see people end up in a slightly extended wrist position from trying to pull the elbows back.
Thanks!

Does anyone have any insight as to wrist position at the top? I often see people end up in a slightly extended wrist position from trying to pull the elbows back.
Thanks!
Depending on the degree of extension you’re talking about… The grip is strongest in a slightly extended position, not a fully straight wrist, if that makes sense.

Another case of Dan John's Middle Age Pull Up Syndrome. I've been battling it since Covid when I started doing daily pull-ups. Don't push it, that won't help and it will turn into a chronic issue.

Now I have a choice, do BJJ or keep pull-ups in my S&C programing. I chose BJJ and still get flare ups especially when I hold someone in side control with heavy pressure for a decent amount of time.

On another note based on a comment here, if you are looking for weight that is cheap and doesn't take up much room look into sandbags.

@Gary W
Do you think these will help? Neutral grips and they also come in 45 degree and a flat palms version.
Edit: It might help if I give the brand KENSUI - swissies collection
They at least will be a variant to fiddle with and, as Pavel, et al say, sometimes a change is as good as rest.

I have them and use them probably 50% of the time I do any kind of pull-up (probably 40% = regular pronated grip, 10% = w. cone grips). Edit: fwiw, I don't do supinated grip (aka 'chin-ups') anymore - probably the shoulder mobility isn't what it used to be and I now find these to be harder on the elbows (when I was younger it was the opposite)

Back
Top Bottom