all posts post new thread

WarrenEllis

Level 4 Valued Member
Hello all.

ETK mentions block training, ROKB prescribes it. I'd like to do a round of ROP with block training, as I want to continue barbell deadlift and squat practice , but I would also like to reserve my "off days" for mobility work.
For those unfamiliar, "Russian block training" refers to two weeks on one program, two weeks on another, and alternating, as not to decline in one discipline while focusing on another.
As deadlift would be the focus on non-ROP weeks, I am leaning toward "vodka and pickles." This is essentially 3 days a week of progressive deadlift followed by squat or swing practice. I'll get plenty of ballistics and strict-presses with ROP, so I'd likely switch the swings out for TGU or the push-press.

I am proficient in all exercises mentioned. Does anyone see any glaring issues with this approach? Can anyone suggest a better approach?

Thank you.

@WarrenEllis, it's been a while since I read ROTK but I did practice it for about six months after it was published.

My first question - not an answer to your question but just another question - is does the relationship between the two programs being alternated matter?

-S-

@WarrenEllis, it's been a while since I read ROTK but I did practice it for about six months after it was published.

My first question - not an answer to your question but just another question - is does the relationship between the two programs being alternated matter?

-S-
Thank you Steve. I apologize for misunderstanding your question, but hopefully I can answer it by unpacking..

I am attempting to chase two rabbits by focusing on one per two week period. I am attempting to avoid decrease in one quality while progressing another. While I've always been disciplined enough to stick with repetitive routines, I think this approach may eliminate any mental or physical burnout. Pavel claims in ROTK this is an approach to progress with two goals. I've ran ETK as written probably 4 times. This "idea" outlined above is basically a response to owning only single bells and preferring BB deadlift to KB deadlift. Hence, compromising ROTK this way.

Squat would be a maintenance consideration and not a focus, as double KB front squats. Deadlift would be the focus. I should put something overhead, again, for maintenance, so i believe TGU or Push press practice would be ideal. To focus on much more than the deadlift 3x a week would certainly be more taxing than beneficial.

Hello all.

ETK mentions block training, ROKB prescribes it. I'd like to do a round of ROP with block training, as I want to continue barbell deadlift and squat practice , but I would also like to reserve my "off days" for mobility work.
For those unfamiliar, "Russian block training" refers to two weeks on one program, two weeks on another, and alternating, as not to decline in one discipline while focusing on another.
As deadlift would be the focus on non-ROP weeks, I am leaning toward "vodka and pickles." This is essentially 3 days a week of progressive deadlift followed by squat or swing practice. I'll get plenty of ballistics and strict-presses with ROP, so I'd likely switch the swings out for TGU or the push-press.

I am proficient in all exercises mentioned. Does anyone see any glaring issues with this approach? Can anyone suggest a better approach?

Thank you.
For clarity: Is this your plan?
Block a: ROP with C&P and Ballistics
Block b: Vodka & Pickles with Deadlift, Squats and TGU or Push Press

I think this should work just fine.

In fact, I have done ROP for quite some time with a block training approach. (Alternated with LCCJ practice blocks.)

You can find a lot of info in this thread:

For clarity: Is this your plan?
Block a: ROP with C&P and Ballistics
Block b: Vodka & Pickles with Deadlift, Squats and TGU or Push Press

I think this should work just fine.

In fact, I have done ROP for quite some time with a block training approach. (Alternated with LCCJ practice blocks.)

You can find a lot of info in this thread:

Yes. You’ve summarized my plan perfectly.
Thank you for the feedback, and I appreciate the link. I’ll certainly use it for reference.

Back
Top Bottom