all posts post new thread

Recommendations/Reviews/FS/WTB Gear for KB Practice

Products recommendations and reviews, items For Sale or Wanted To Buy

Joe Lynch

Level 4 Valued Member
Certified Instructor
What headphones have y'all found works best for you during your kettlebell practice? I've tried several but I'm constantly having to readjust them during swings and snatches or they fall out. What have you used that works? Thanks for any ideas!

Since I'm asking for help here, maybe this will help someone else: I've tried many a barefoot shoe for KB practice (can't always go real barefoot), but my all time favourite right now is the Xero Shoes Mesa Trail. They're truly barefoot with no arch and a wide toe box, they're super light, and are super flexible. What have you found feels the most natural?

Since I'm asking for help here, maybe this will help someone else: I've tried many a barefoot shoe for KB practice (can't always go real barefoot), but my all time favourite right now is the Xero Shoes Mesa Trail. They're truly barefoot with no arch and a wide toe box, they're super light, and are super flexible. What have you found feels the most natural?
When I wear shoes, I still roll with the classic Vibram Five Finger KSO.

I use aftershokz when working out, but usually cardio. They’re phenomenal for running. I have really bad cauliflower ears, so I can’t wear pods and over ear is too suffocating/hot for working out. The bone conduction solves the issue, but it isn’t audiophile quality.

I also love oly shoes for lifting. The elevated heel makes the rack and press way more natural for me.

Xero shoes, whitn shoes too if i want business casual, but prefer barefoot.

I like aftershokz but they break too easily imo. I also have cauliflower ear and struggle with pods but JBL endurance sprint are my favorite and stay in place while lifting. I don’t listen to music, but i love podcasts and audiobooks.

I lift barefoot whenever possible normally with correct toes spacers in. If I have to wear shoes it’s a pair of vivo barefoot primus lites. I have incredibly wide feet.

Barefoot. No music. Phone just for the form check.
Knee sleeves and elbow sleeves - I have tried those. Good.
Wrist guards - I used them before I figured out how to clean good (vertical forearm, palm 90 degrees to the chest).

Favourite thing about kettlebell training is that all I need is one kettlebell (soon to be two once I begin step-loading weight) no specific belt, shoes, wrist wraps etc in order for me to be able to get to work.

My life is really busy/stressful now so I try to take it as “meditation” time where all I focus on is the kettlebells, fast and loose and my breathing.

I was always trying to fit meditation/breathwork into life at other times (and failing) so thought why not make S&S practice a one stop shop for cardio, mobility, strength, meditation and breathwork.

Means in 30 mins I get a baseline of all of that which I can add to if I get time.

Bit of a ramble to say: no extra equipment than just the bells for me!

What are those? Sounds interesting.

I was thinking something to "train" an arthritic big toe...
Correct Toes® - Toe Spacers, Natural Footwear & Foot Care Basically help to realign toe spread. very expensive for what they are, but getting that toe spread really helps activating the arch and connections with the floor. I have super wide feet and wore narrow shoes for years which squished them up, toe spacers have really helped with that.

Bose speaker when I do listen to music, don’t want anything in my ear(s) when training other than rucking.

My favorite shoes are Merrell Parkway Mocs. They’re slip ons that fit me like a glove and are perfect for KB training. Merrell doesn’t make them anymore but I found another pair on eBay.

Attachments

• C3DECAD9-BB1C-4B89-A820-EDED4B4D8325.jpeg
    C3DECAD9-BB1C-4B89-A820-EDED4B4D8325.jpeg
    51.6 KB · Views: 11
Bose QC Earbuds II, I use these for rowing not for kettlebells.

The rower is noisy so I can't hear speakers unless I really crank it, otherwise I have speakers for when I'm kettlebelling.

The problem is that if you do any overhead work like presses or pullups, your arm will brush the earbuds and this will pause/forward/hang up/etc-- you can't touch the side of your head when using these.

But they do stay in nicely for rowing.

Favourite thing about kettlebell training is that all I need is one kettlebell (soon to be two once I begin step-loading weight) no specific belt, shoes, wrist wraps etc in order for me to be able to get to work.
Yeah, kettlebells are basically barefoot and chalk.

Other lifts seems like I’m starting to have an outfit for each lift. You don’t really appreciate straps and other gear until you are doing a full day of events.

Barefoot or with running sandals (t-rockets). And headphones like these, or just my phone playing music.

1681156454066.png

Bose QC Earbuds II...
The problem is that if you do any overhead work like presses or pullups, your arm will brush the earbuds and this will pause/forward/hang up/etc-- you can't touch the side of your head when using these.
Good point! I've not *yet* had this problem. I do snatches, pressess, TGU's with my ear-buds and no problems yet. I will check my form again, maybe I'm not doing these correctly! but my baseline check is: 16kg, no back/shoulder/elbow/other pain, working through all the sets as planned, thefore I'm comfortable that my form is ok. I am in the process of stepping up to the 24kg, but nothing overhead yet. Maybe the heavier weight will force me to experience the same challenge as @TPC when I get to the overhead tricks.

I only do ring pullups so my hands aren't fixed, this resets the music almost every rep.
Kettlebells are more hit or miss, perhaps every 5th rep I'll brush my ear with my bicep, and it resets.

Back
Top Bottom