all posts post new thread

Kettlebell "Giant 1.0"

So I just (before the new year) wrapped up running The Giant 1.0 through 1.2, with the huge caveat that I didn’t only do C&P. I alternated each set between C&P and Front Squats. I used double 24kg bells.

Overall, it went pretty well. I got a bit sick near the tail end, so didn’t finish as strong as I wanted, but I had consistently been making upward progress over the course of the months.

About two years ago I had run The Giant as prescribed with 24s. The big difference I noticed was more total sets being able to be performed, with the obvious exception being that I got around half the total reps of C&P.

I still feel like I made great progress, though maybe a tad less than if I’d run only C&P.

On New Year’s Eve I did a RM test with double 32s and got 4 reps. Instead of jumping into 3.0, I decided to go with KB Strong with the 32s. I’m excited to see where I’ll be in about 6 months.

Giant 3.0 feedback.
Finished at the start of the year but only just got around to retesting myself.
Previous best clean and press with 2x24kg was 6 reps. Tested today at 9. Although this was after my ICT session, so I wasn’t 100% fresh.
More interesting was I can now clean and press (full press, not push press) the 32kg once with my right side, this was a no go before.
Thank you @Geoff Neupert very happy with that result.

Just finish Giant 3.0

clean press, double 24 kg, 30 minutes.

week 1 : M62 , H69, L70, total 201 reps
week 2 : M70, H78, L70, total 218 reps
week 3 : M82, H90, L75, total 247 reps
week 4 : M90, H93, L80, total 263 reps
That’s some serious progress. What was your RM with the 24s when you started?

Last edited:
Just finish Giant 3.0

clean press, double 24 kg, 30 minutes.

week 1 : M62 , H69, L70, total 201 reps
week 2 : M70, H78, L70, total 218 reps
week 3 : M82, H90, L75, total 247 reps
week 4 : M90, H93, L80, total 263 reps
Looks like your bell choice was far too light. Those are high totals even for Giant 1.0 with a 10rm….

3.0 is supposed to be done with your ~5rm.

Either way, great stuff! How did all the low rep sets and high volume translate to your strength and appearance?

Last edited:
So, I'm pleased and surprised to report that I've done this and also Geoff's protocol ( sitting on ground shoulders shrugged back and together, pushing down and out with hands, fingers extended) - just twice .... and the difference is AMAZING!
Almost all pain is gone...

Thank you!!
More on tendon pain....
I was too hasty in my hopeful statement that pain was gone... but by now its greatly diminished, by doing Geoff's protocol, hanging for a minute (helps keep the tendon stretched) and now a doctor friend suggested "Swiss Relief Spray Gel" which has really helped, to the point where yesterday I suddenly noticed that I was feeling no pain...[hmm, maybe I shouldn't say that]...

For those of you who have run Giant with a single bell, how did you find the excessive volume of cleans?

I.e. performing 70+ Press reps per arm per session =140+ Clean reps… did any of you run into low back issues from hundreds of single bell cleans week after week for 12-16 weeks?

I’m now starting the giant 1.0 with 2x20kg as that is my 10 rep max. For once I’m sticking to this. I saw geoffs email about his client sticking to the giant for over and year and getting great progress. I have stalled for so long due to my inconsistency. A whole year (or close enough to) of the giant to get my clean and press as strong as possible!

I’m now starting the giant 1.0 with 2x20kg as that is my 10 rep max. For once I’m sticking to this. I saw geoffs email about his client sticking to the giant for over and year and getting great progress. I have stalled for so long due to my inconsistency. A whole year (or close enough to) of the giant to get my clean and press as strong as possible!
If it starts to get monotonous, don't forbid yourself from adding something like squats or pullups after your session or on days off, per Geoff's guidance of 3-5 sets of 3-5 reps. Helps keep it interesting, at least it does for me

For those of you who have run Giant with a single bell, how did you find the excessive volume of cleans?

I.e. performing 70+ Press reps per arm per session =140+ Clean reps… did any of you run into low back issues from hundreds of single bell cleans week after week for 12-16 weeks?
It depends on what you are used to I suppose. I ran 1.0 after 2 runs of ROP jurassic, which builds up to 60 C+P per side. My 1.0 volume was mid to high 60s each side as well, and I didn't have any issues BUT I made sure to do some QL straddle stretches etc per S&S after each session, otherwise I did get a bit tight in the low/mid back. I also did 3-5 sets of chin ups after a C+P session so that might have helped decompress everything as well.

My 2c, YMMV

You are doing a clean before each press?

Oh my. Well,.I'm glad I'd not understood that. I am pretty sure my elbows wouldn't like that. And I was pleased with my progress while wallowing in my ignorance.
Progress is progress, and you've probably made more progress with regards to you pressing than doing the program with a clean before each press, but that's just a guess from me. If cleans bother your elbows, then I reckon do as few as you can get away with.

Back
Top Bottom