all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Hand care (CMMcFarlane)

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Cmcfarlane

First Post
I'm not sure this is the proper place for this thread but it seems to be a common issue once we reach week 3. Even with being fairly proactive with hand care.

I tend to be OK on my palms and at base of my fingers but am getting lots of abrasion just below my second knuckle. I have small hands so tend to grip the bell fairly tight.

The tape job described here was pretty effective at giving time to heal http://www.climbing.com/skill/avoid-finger-blowouts/
It gave protection but still allowed finger flexion and most importantly didn't shift around.

1. To some degree, your hands will just have to toughen up. I usually advise newcomers to the bell, to follow their hands, allowing them to adapt. The more blue collar you were before KB practice, the less time it will take.

2. The best hand care I have found and use is pumice stone in a hot shower.... every. single. time. Polish them up good, palms, fingers, etc.

3. For during session preventive measure, the gymnastic wrap made from athletic tape works very well. But use this sparingly, as protecting your hands too often reduces their ability to toughen up.

4. See # 1. You will have to wait some time... years in many cases.

The skin on your hands, your grip strength, your tension development, your technical skill... it is all connected. You can't master one without the others. Don't feel that you have to train today, simply because it is scheduled, if your hands are saying "no", regardless of how recovered your body feels. If you tear your hands, you will lose far more training time than if you just rest another day when they feel, "hot".

You have a lifetime to practice...

Thanks Al. I'm pretty diligent but the 200+ swing sessions are more than I'm used to.

Only using the tape for 30 minute sessions or longer or in the heavy weeks.

Craig

The weight of the bell here is definitely part of it. I did the 10 min snatch test bare handed with no issues at all but then do a measly 150 swings even at this reduced pace and i have like 3 pulls or raw places. I know this topic is well covered but i just had to sand the kb handle again and tape up (plus some cornhuskers).

Hi Cmcfarlane,

I don't know if it will really answer your question, but I came accross an interesting article related to blisters prevention when training with Kettlebell.

The article's summary said:
  1. If you know you have a tendency to get blisters in a certain spot, cover it with hypoallergenic medical tape prior to the activity. I have known folks in my classes, to use duct tape over the area. But please be careful and check to see if you have an allergy to the adhesive of duct tape before you use it, the last thing you need is an allergic reaction to the tape on your hands.
  2. You can also wear cotton fingerless gloves on your hands to prevent blister formation. We buy cotton gloves from the hardware store and cut off the fingers.
  3. Assess your KB handle. The author's blacksmithing husband, a StrongFirst Team Leader, files down kettlebell handles of to help prevent blisters.
  4. Keep a first aid kit handy with the appropriate medical supplies to care for a blister. I suggest Betadine or hydrogen peroxide, moleskin, antibiotic ointment, gauze, hypoallergenic medical tape and scissors.
You can read the entire article here: Prevent Blisters | Hand Blister Treatment | Blister Care

Hope that helped.

Matt

Last edited by a moderator:
The only place I tend to get issues is at the callous where my fingers meet my palms. I usually get a tear there once every other month or so, usually at the middle finger. It's what holds my back from really going at it when I snatch. That little voice in my head, so to speak.

Anyone else have more trouble getting rings off, as you go heavier with swings?

I tear mainly because my hands sweat like crazy. Chalk helps a little but longer sets even with re-chalking still does not work. Anyone else have the crazy sweaty palms got any tips?

I sweat a lot too. Wrist bands for very well. Finding a colder, less humid environment, if you can, will help. In the end, during the longer sessions, I had to wipe and rechalk every set.

I'm in the same boat also. During longer sessions my hands sweat alot and I end up having to wipe my hands completely dry with towel and reapply chalk. Seems that applying chalk on already sweaty hand... only works for a very short time.

I had a pair of Natural Grips. Liked them quite a bit. The downside is needing to either tape them or tuck them into wrist wraps.

I have a pair of leather gymnastic grips now. I found them at the local Dick's, but places like Rogue sell them. They're not quite as nice as the Natural Grips, but the velcro wrist strap makes up for the shortcomings.

drives me crazy, sweaty palms, chalk helps, but not great. i always try to keep my bells in the coldest room of the house - i have placed the bells in a cooler full of ice during summer months, this keeps my hands cool and reduces the slippage - but its an effort i dont normally make. i think a kettlebell cooler should be designed to keep in the corner of the gym.

I had a pair of Natural Grips. Liked them quite a bit. The downside is needing to either tape them or tuck them into wrist wraps.

I have a pair of leather gymnastic grips now. I found them at the local Dick's, but places like Rogue sell them. They're not quite as nice as the Natural Grips, but the velcro wrist strap makes up for the shortcomings.

I am thinking of getting these for longer sessions. Short sessions are ok of 1-3 reps a few times but when I got to 6-8 reps per min per side with the 20-24kg I usually end up tearing even with chalk and even in the early AM at 41 degrees.

I train in a covered area outdoors in the Pacific Northwest. The humidity is always pretty high, which leads to frequent tears. I have a pair of "BearKomplex" leather grips that i have been using for higher rep sessions, but they are a bit too thick and tend to bunch up in my palm. I just ordered a set of the Natural Grips. I'm hoping those are a good solution.

And, yes, before the obligatory "you're over gripping" comments, I have had my form/grip checked by a Senior SFG.

1. To some degree, your hands will just have to toughen up. I usually advise newcomers to the bell, to follow their hands, allowing them to adapt. The more blue collar you were before KB practice, the less time it will take.

2. The best hand care I have found and use is pumice stone in a hot shower.... every. single. time. Polish them up good, palms, fingers, etc.

3. For during session preventive measure, the gymnastic wrap made from athletic tape works very well. But use this sparingly, as protecting your hands too often reduces their ability to toughen up.

4. See # 1. You will have to wait some time... years in many cases.

The skin on your hands, your grip strength, your tension development, your technical skill... it is all connected. You can't master one without the others. Don't feel that you have to train today, simply because it is scheduled, if your hands are saying "no", regardless of how recovered your body feels. If you tear your hands, you will lose far more training time than if you just rest another day when they feel, "hot".

You have a lifetime to practice...

I'm quoting Al's whole post again because there's a lot of wisdom there that only comes from experience and that a lot of readers might not understand without going through similar experience.

Some points that especially resonated with me:

Numbers 1/4: The long term nature of adaptation. Years is no joke. Patience.

"Follow your hands" is a great phrase. I haven't had a hand tear in literally years, and a big reason is that I have learned to follow my hands and listen to what they are telling me. If they are telling me to call it a day, or switch to a different drill, then I do. How did I learn this? By paying the price for not learning it for an embarrassingly long time.

The point that skin toughness, grip stength and skill/technique are all connected. Yes, your form/grip may look okay, but if you don't have the strength or get fatigued, you will start over squeezing and have a problem. There's a lot of subtle interaction between your contact with the KB and your overall form -- the ways force is transmitted and absorbed back and forth between you and the KB. A lot of this is not obvious from the outside, even to an expert eye, and must be tuned through trial and error.

A couple of things I personally differ on:
I've never gotten much out of pumice stones. When I want to bring down a callus, by far my favorite tool is the callus shaver that uses a razor blade, and I only occasionally have a need for it.

Personally, I have not found any type of hand protection to be tolerably satisfactory (and I've experimented with a lot), especially for anything other than swings. However, if I am hell bent on doing swings, even though my hands are telling me not to, I will use grips such as these Schiek dowel grips:

1000dls_popup.jpg

or the Versa Gripps Pro (works great, but very expensive for what it is):

Pulling-Motion-Small-Banner.jpg

Yes, these are a "cheat" since they reduce grip demand, but you won't drop the KB or tear the skin on your hands. Desperate situations call for desperate measures.

Finally, I avoid chalk if at all possible, even though I tend to sweat heavily. It just seems to make it so much easier for tears to develop, and with much less warning, and leaves my skin overly dry and prone to cracking. If sweat is factor, I towel off my hands and the bell frequently, use terry cloth wristbands, blast myself with a fan, and wipe off my hands and the bell handle with alcohol. Going without chalk often means I have to use a smaller bell than I could with chalk, but I consider that a net positive tradeoff.

I train in a covered area outdoors in the Pacific Northwest. The humidity is always pretty high, which leads to frequent tears. I have a pair of "BearKomplex" leather grips that i have been using for higher rep sessions, but they are a bit too thick and tend to bunch up in my palm. I just ordered a set of the Natural Grips. I'm hoping those are a good solution.

And, yes, before the obligatory "you're over gripping" comments, I have had my form/grip checked by a Senior SFG.

I do not miss the PNW, and our love/hate relationship ;]

I always loved the feel of a bell/hand interface after it was all chalked-up. Especially if you did it with the over-the-top attention to detail the GSers use (look it up on YouToob). But like others have said, it's a short-lived happytime as sweat and motion take their toll.

What I found that worked notably better and is simpler to boot is "Anti Monkey Butt Powder". Yes, that's it's real name. The have it at Ace Hardware and Tractor Supply. Unlike chalk, AMBP keeps things dry even as it thins out from use. It also lends a smooth feeling to the rotation of the bell handle in your hand, reducing the roll-up and subsequent pinch of skin. Plus, if you hate it for use on your hands it's still excellent general purpose talcum powder. And it makes me smell pretty.

Oh, and cutting the top 2-3 inches off the top of an old pair of thin dress socks and slipping them over your knuckles works pretty well in a pinch.

Reporting back. I got the Natural Grips. I really like them. They are thin like tape, but reusable. They don't bunch up in my palm like the leather grips. They are a good solution for higher rep days in a very humid environment.

Currently putting myself through the 10K Swing Challenge (right on track--will be hitting the 10,000 mark on New Year's Eve). 500 hardstyle swings a day will put callouses in weird places, and experience shows that after workout #1, you learn right away where your hotspots are going to be for the month ahead, and it behooves us to be proactive for the next day's 500.

This stuff has been a godsend: Product Catalog: ACE™ Brand Waterproof Sports Tape . Goes on and comes off each finger easily (the pinkies and ring fingers tend to get it the worst when I try cramming ten digits into one 32k's handle) and won't quit mid-workout.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom