all posts post new thread

Hand-to-hand clean - a great corrective

Pasibrzuch

Level 6 Valued Member
Recently, the Mighty Algorhytm exposes me to many instagram posts of people doing hand-to-hand cleans. Never seen it before and it doesn't seem to be a part of SF curriculum. It is basically the same mechanics as hand-to-hand swing or a fast-switch snatch, but you're cleaning the bell.
Today I did it for the first time. Besides being entertaining and challenging for coordination, I it can offer some relevant feedback. I noticed that when I clean from my right to my left it seems almost seamless, however, when I clean from left to right I overturn and my whole weight is on my right leg.
For the next few sessions I will try to drill more symmetry into my movement.
If you decide to try it, I'd suggest warming up with h2h swings and practicing it in a place where you can safely drop the bell.

And a bonus linguistic question - I just remembered it writing this post: years ago one of my English teachers scolded me for using the word "however" in the middle of the sentence ("blablabla, however, blablabla"), saying that you only use it at the beginning ("However, blablabla..."). Is just a figment of her imagination, or something requiered in formal English?

Last edited:
years ago one of my English teachers scolded me for using the word "however"
I have not heard this rule; however, it's possible I've been oblivious to it. ;)

The rule may be in punctuation. I think your sentence
I noticed that when I clean from my right to my left it seems almost seamless, however, when I clean from left to right I overturn and my whole weight is on my right leg.
would be corrected to
I noticed that when I clean from my right to my left it seems almost seamless; however, when I clean from left to right I overturn and my whole weight is on my right leg.
The semicolon essentially separates two complete sentences, which could also be written as
I noticed that when I clean from my right to my left it seems almost seamless. However, when I clean from left to right I overturn and my whole weight is on my right leg.

I like the hand-to-hand clean. A good option for more kettlebell fun!

I think of hand-to-hand, flips, flows, juggling, and all of those other kettlebell things as second level skills, to be added once the fundamentals are in place. StrongFirst does a great job teaching the fundamentals. Other skills can be great for keeping things interesting, but they're probably not going to be added to the regular curriculum of what is taught. And to whatever degree these things can be disapproved of, it's because they can be distracting for people who don't yet have solid fundamentals in movement and skill, or aren't strong yet and could really benefit more from solid training that provides a more specific stimulus (i.e. simpler movements with more weight and volume) rather than fun time under tension with harder movements and lighter weight. But beyond that, what's not to like? Kettlebells are awesome and provide so many options to train. Also, the example you linked, he's clearly getting solid strength and power training with a heavy weight. So he's got solid fundamentals and is adding variety to it... All good.

Back
Top Bottom