all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Hip labrum tear and swings

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Chris F.

Level 3 Valued Member
Hi all! has anyone experienced anterior hip pain from swings? I got looked at by an ortho and have a small tear in my labrum. The PT I worked with thinks swings are fine but he didn't assess my form. Could it be possible I'm over contracting at top? He didn't seem to know what a "hard style" swing was but did emphasis being a plank at the top.

I'd really like to get back to training but the last time I was swinging, my hip,got so bad it hurt to sit in a chair and felt better to lay down.

Any thoughts would be most appreciated!

I've got acetabular tears in both hips. Mine were from being run over by cars on a pushbike.

My right hip comes and goes and swings seem to be the worst thing for it. but my left hip seems to gain stability from swings.

When you have this type of injury you need to dedicate extra focus to muscular stability to support the joint. Someone with a healthy joint would possibly never appreciate this. A hieghtened level of conscious control needs to exist at all times.

If you ever get to the level of fatigue where you are going through the motions you can start hammering the joint and doing damage. For you this motion will require full tension in the glutes and abdominal muscles to keep everything tight and fixed in a safe position especially at the top extended position - you will need to stop the motion with full muscular control rather than just focusing on stopping at the right position like someone with healthy hips.

If it causes you pain that doesn't feel like normal muscle soreness in the days after doing this exercise, try the controlled tension I mentioned above and it that doesn't help, you will have to consider if the swing will be suitable for you long term.

Years of trial and error have taught me to limit my swings to small sets of perfectly controlled reps or I pay the price in the days and weeks after I do them. I can still go heavy but I can't do a workout around high rep swings.

I have labrum issues and swing without issues but I adjust my stance and foot position to fit my structure etc...

Are you trying to swing with your feet straight ahead? or do you use a turn out?

@Chris F., is it also possible that you did too much, too soon? You don't mention much about your training history and where the session that caused you pain fit in context.

-S-

Tarzan, thanks for the detailed really! Much appreciated!

Brett, slight turn out. It's been months since I've done swings while overcoming an unrelated shoulder injury. I've been mulling a straight foot approach but haven't tried it yet.

Steve, was doing S&S. No problem hitting target at 24K. 32K felt good sometimes and a bit much at others. Probably could have taken more time. I averaged between 7:30 to 10 minutes for the swings. I likely should have stayed at 24 longer though.

If you ever get to the level of fatigue where you are going through the motions you can start hammering the joint and doing damage. For you this motion will require full tension in the glutes and abdominal muscles to keep everything tight and fixed in a safe position especially at the top extended position - you will need to stop the motion with full muscular control rather than just focusing on stopping at the right position like someone with healthy hips.

That is probably great advice for all of us; thanks, @Tarzan ! I have some hip... "pain" is probably too strong a word... "crankiness" maybe, after doing deadlifts where I fail to keep full tension in all the muscles around the hips. I really like your description and will try to think about this with kettlebell work. (Another side note on hip pain, probably unrelated to the thread, is that I take CosaminDS regularly except sometimes I'll stop for a couple weeks while travelling or whatever... I noticed recently for the 3rd time I have more hip crankiness after a week of not taking it. So, I'm staying on that supplement. I have no idea if it's that particular brand, or the general ingredients, but it seems to help my 48-yr old hip joints.)

@Chris F. you didn't mention if you've had instruction or had your form checked... in-person instruction is always your best bet, but post a video here if you'd like some feedback; or at the very least, video yourself and see if you notice anything. Technique issues could cause all sorts of problems, further compounded by increase in reps and/or weight...

Chris F
I would not recommend feet straight ahead - hip structural anomalies are very common with labrum issues so you need to adjust your stance to your hips.
I have an article coming out on the FMS site about this.

Thanks Brett! The ortho mentioned that I had 18 degrees of something or other in the left (troublesome one) and 30 in the right. Can't remember exactly what he was referencing but he mentioned the difference as possibly a source of aggravation.

Chris F
If you can find out we might be able to suggest some strategies.
Where are you located?

Just to check your form and for any possible referral - since you are recovering from a shoulder issue etc... this is best with some hands on work and Master SFG Phil Scarito is in your area (I know Philly is a big area but he is in the King of Prussia area).
phil@dv8fitness.com is his email I believe or you can find him on the instructor list here on this site.

I have found that "soft" or girevik sport style swings cause less discomfort.Experiment with one or two hands.If you continue to have pain,find something else to do--its not worth it in the long run.

Chris F
I would not recommend feet straight ahead - hip structural anomalies are very common with labrum issues so you need to adjust your stance to your hips.
I have an article coming out on the FMS site about this.

Do you know when this article will be posted? I spend almost as much time on the FMS site as I do on this site and I'm always interested to read your articles @Brett Jones

I also hope to repost it here as well but it is in for final editing and there is a video to edit to go along with it.
Will let you know

@Brett Jones just came back from a private session with Phil Scarito. It was excellent! Just following S&S and Phil broke down the getup and the swing. Several incredible points that I think will get me on track to train these movements without causing more aggravation. I'm very encouraged by what I learned and I have a plan from him to implement for the next several weeks and then we will go from there. Philly is lucky to have this guy. Anyone reading this: don't go to Starbucks for one month, save up your money and go see an SFG!

Excellent Chris - Phil is great and keep us posted on your progress

Thank you @Brett Jones
Just did my first session after yesterday's lesson. Wow...I am amazed. I've never done a practice that felt both monumentally harder AND easier at the same time. For the first time I'm beginning to understand how someone can get stronger using a given weight for awhile by applying correct technique. Joints feel great so far (although true test will be how I feel tomorrow morning but no knee pain or hip pain right now!).

Like many things in life, my only regret is I didn't do this sooner.

Chris,
As you progress be patient and allow time for adaptation etc...
Don't get in a hurry and when things feel good we can get in a hurry.
Looking forward to your progress

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom