all posts post new thread

Interval Walking Training-Japan

Link if interested to Mr Magness book. "Ultra Mental"

View attachment 24778
I found this a very interesting, and befuddling read. I already suffer from training ADHD, so this didn't help.

A couple of confounding points regarding Andy's approach are he began this on a solid background of more traditional traing. Maybe that matters, maybe not. Also, as he mentions, he is doing much longer events, in which the pace is below a fast marathon pace.

On the plus side, I think the idea that this sort of training gives you plenty of opportunities to engage in "negotiations with the Central Governor" is very interesting.

Also worth mentioning, for those who have not read the ebook, is that the author does not claim this to be the "best" way to train, rather, he demonstrates that one can participate in big endurance events, and perform at a respectable level, even if one doesn't have hours each week to devote to traditional training.

Last edited:
that one can participate in big endurance events, and perform at a respectable level, even if one doesn't have hours each week to devote to traditional training.
No doubt my eyes are clouded a bit from decades of doing traditional training for big endurance events…

I have always looked to the respectable level (definition?) of contemporary ‘big endurance’ athletes to see what they are doing.

I know that for me at least, that I wouldn’t be able to run the Hardrock 100 (for example) at any level (respectable or not) with some of these ‘non-traditional’ approaches…

Andy is calling "respectable" finishing in the top third, and Andy didn't think he could do it, either, until he did.

Again, he's not saying it's the best way to train. He's putting it forth as something to try before concluding you don't have time to train for big events and just giving up on the idea completely.

Last edited:
A mechanism at play here COULD be the foundation being BUILT by a life of traditional training, then that foundation being MAINTAINED by “one minute workout” style training.

Like an ultra muscular “vegan” bodybuilder that was BUILT on steak and chicken, but is MAINTAINED on cans of lentils.

A mechanism at play here COULD be the foundation being BUILT by a life of traditional training, then that foundation being MAINTAINED by “one minute workout” style training.

Like an ultra muscular “vegan” bodybuilder that was BUILT on steak and chicken, but is MAINTAINED on cans of lentils.
I think it much more likely than the reverse. Again, I’ll use the Hardrock as an example. It wouldn’t be plausible to me that a person could train up enough using “one minute workout” style, without some serious amount of trail running experience, and be able to even finish such an event, let alone do well. (I know that’s not what that author is claiming)

An average finish time of 41:00 hours and 33,000ft elevation gain over 100 miles. I think you’re right @offwidth. At a certain point the mental ability to keep putting one foot in front of the other is what needs to be trained, among many other things…. For now I’m a Hard Pass on the Hardrock 100!

I know that for me at least, that I wouldn’t be able to run the Hardrock 100 (for example) at any level (respectable or not) with some of these ‘non-traditional’ approaches…
There's only one way to find out

But seriously, do you think it would be interesting to follow a similar approach for an off season and see what it nets ?

I've tried alot of different things in my climbing training, and some less than Ideal time/facility restrictions still garnered decent results.

There's only one way to find out
lol… ain’t gonna happen…
But seriously, do you think it would be interesting to follow a similar approach for an off season and see what it nets ?
Nope… I’ll let someone else try that. I don’t have a lot of time left for wacky experiments :)

I've tried alot of different things in my climbing training, and some less than Ideal time/facility restrictions still garnered decent results.
To be honest I have as well. (Mixed results) But there’s nothing like doing the real thing… like being 5m up from your last tied off knifeblade…

An average finish time of 41:00 hours and 33,000ft elevation gain over 100 miles. I think you’re right @offwidth. At a certain point the mental ability to keep putting one foot in front of the other is what needs to be trained, among many other things…. For now I’m a Hard Pass on the Hardrock 100!
I’ll make a convert out of you yet my friend….
You do realise that Marathon you are gonna be doing is like a gateway drug for ultras…

You do realise that Marathon you are gonna be doing is like a gateway drug for ultras…
I already use kettlebells which are basically the Cocaine Weight. You know what I mean. Nobody can ever find cocaine or anybody that does it. But coke users can always recognize coke users, and they are super into it. Addicted even!

You might be interested in the Soleus Push Up research.
It's a good hit, but I didn't understand how often it should be performed, how many reps, etc. Personally, I just did a 10x10 while drinking my cappuccino. This happened after I read the article :)

And otherwise on the subject. After strength training, I usually do slow and fast walking on the treadmill. 1 min. slow to 30 seconds fast or 2 min. to 1 min. When walking fast, I increase the incline.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom