all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Iron Cardio

I'll join in on the Iron Cardio updates. I'm currently on Week 5 of running IC 3 days a week and Muay Thai training 2/3 days a week. I started with a 20kg bell and spent 4 weeks with that. I hit 42 sets in 20 minutes, so I've decided to jump to the 24kg and use that as my main weight moving forward. While watching my math/reps, I plan on mixing in rep ladders and adding reps (+2) accordingly to build up my presses and squats.

Overall, I enjoy how fresh I feel after every session. I'm feeling stronger session by session, looking forward to the coming weeks to see how things progress!

Last edited:
I'll join in on the Iron Cardio updates. I'm currently on Week 5 of running IC 3 days a week and Muay Thai training 2/3 days a week. I started with a 20kg bell and spent 4 weeks with that. I hit 42 sets in 20 minutes, so I've decided to jump to the 24kg and use that as my main weight moving forward. While watching my math/reps, I plan on mixing in rep ladders and adding reps (+2) accordingly to build up my presses and squats.

Overall, I enjoy how fresh I feel after every session. I'm feeling stronger session by session, looking forward to the coming weeks to see how things progress!
How does IC impact your muay thai so far ?

Excellent work and curious about any benefit to your Muay Thai as well.

I've got my own baselines for IC:

1. 10-20 minutes of alternating sets of clean-press-squat-pullup and one arm pushup-kickstand squat-pullup
2. 10-20 minutes of Turkish getups

The 10-20 minutes are picked by a roll of a die, and the load, between 16KG to 32KG is picked out also by roll of die.

I bought the E book yesterday, just read through it, it's blown my mind, right in my ball park. I'm currently doing 3 days A&A double C&J (28s) and bent press on 2 other days, mostly A&A style but sometimes 'The Wall' and some carries. I plan to read it again before doing 2 days IC. I love the bent press and considering swapping out the press for the bent press. I tried this the other day clean->squat->btp with 32kg (1rm btp is 44kg). Not sure if it will work but seemed OK.

I bought the E book yesterday, just read through it, it's blown my mind, right in my ball park. I'm currently doing 3 days A&A double C&J (28s) and bent press on 2 other days, mostly A&A style but sometimes 'The Wall' and some carries. I plan to read it again before doing 2 days IC. I love the bent press and considering swapping out the press for the bent press. I tried this the other day clean->squat->btp with 32kg (1rm btp is 44kg). Not sure if it will work but seemed OK.
If you are going to try to use the Btp be very mindful of recovery and fatigue since the Btp has "more moving parts."

Excellent work and curious about any benefit to your Muay Thai as well.
5 weeks in, I've noticed a slight jump in endurance and power. The last 5 weeks were spent with the 20kg, so I imagine this will only continue to improve with heavier bells. I've jumped to the 24kg now, I'm excited to see how things progress.

Another benefit I noticed was my strength level within clinch work went up. I'm attributing that to IC but more specifically the high amount of clean and pressing is developing my upper body strength.

Looking forward to the next couple of months and seeing how things progress with IC!

Hello everyone
Seeing that the thread is talking about Muay Thai training I would like to give everyone my input. I trained Muay Thai for years and started kettlebell training for a little less than 2 years now. Due to covid and many gyms closing down I trained Muay Thai mostly solo in the last 3 years but now and opportunity came with an opening of a gym where I live so I had to adjust my Kettlebell training because I do kettlebells to be better in Muay Thai and not the other way around. I was thinking a lot on how to schedule my training to include both modalities and found that for my current situation and the couple of months that will come doing a structured 3 times per week training program with Kettlebells may not be the best idea. So I read Iron Cardio in november and loved the flexibility of it and no longer worry about what if I miss a training session etc I can always get 2-3 sessions weekly even if they are on consecutive days because the program is very flexible! I also listened to a couple of podcasts with brett jones and liked his way of thinking when it comes to how to train. So now I did 2 months of Iron cardio along with Muay Thai and I feel very good and the results have been awesome although two months is a very short amount of time in my opinion (I am the type of guy that believes that real change doesn't happen in a couple of weeks when it comes to physical training) I mostly do double kettlebell Iron Cardio sessions and do the single version once a week sometimes 2 a week. I also do Double kettlebell snatches iron Cardio with lighter bells (double 24s being my 10 rm with clean and press) I do double snatches with 20s the session looks something like 1 Clean 2 Double half snatches 1 squat. Sometimes I will do 2X28 classic version but add in 3 OTM double snatches for 10 minutes with double 20s. The possibilities are endless and I really love the program so far. Thank you Brett.

Hello everyone
Seeing that the thread is talking about Muay Thai training I would like to give everyone my input. I trained Muay Thai for years and started kettlebell training for a little less than 2 years now. Due to covid and many gyms closing down I trained Muay Thai mostly solo in the last 3 years but now and opportunity came with an opening of a gym where I live so I had to adjust my Kettlebell training because I do kettlebells to be better in Muay Thai and not the other way around. I was thinking a lot on how to schedule my training to include both modalities and found that for my current situation and the couple of months that will come doing a structured 3 times per week training program with Kettlebells may not be the best idea. So I read Iron Cardio in november and loved the flexibility of it and no longer worry about what if I miss a training session etc I can always get 2-3 sessions weekly even if they are on consecutive days because the program is very flexible! I also listened to a couple of podcasts with brett jones and liked his way of thinking when it comes to how to train. So now I did 2 months of Iron cardio along with Muay Thai and I feel very good and the results have been awesome although two months is a very short amount of time in my opinion (I am the type of guy that believes that real change doesn't happen in a couple of weeks when it comes to physical training) I mostly do double kettlebell Iron Cardio sessions and do the single version once a week sometimes 2 a week. I also do Double kettlebell snatches iron Cardio with lighter bells (double 24s being my 10 rm with clean and press) I do double snatches with 20s the session looks something like 1 Clean 2 Double half snatches 1 squat. Sometimes I will do 2X28 classic version but add in 3 OTM double snatches for 10 minutes with double 20s. The possibilities are endless and I really love the program so far. Thank you Brett.
Excellent!

First I want to send my appreciation to Brett’s availability to comment on here! Second for an awesome book/ program!
So Iron Cardio has been my strength program of choice since the book came out and I feel great!
I have successfully run it with S&S on alternate days and more recently with Q&D 044 Snatches.
My question for Brett is how would you run Iron Cardio with KBSF C&J Program?
Being one of my fav and looking to return to once I milk the last of the progression from Q&D. I’m not sure if it would be to much to run KBSF the day before or the day after but instead alternate KBSF with a day break in between Iron Cardio?
Your input is highly respected
Cheers

First I want to send my appreciation to Brett’s availability to comment on here! Second for an awesome book/ program!
So Iron Cardio has been my strength program of choice since the book came out and I feel great!
I have successfully run it with S&S on alternate days and more recently with Q&D 044 Snatches.
Being one of my fav and looking to return to once I milk the last of the progression from Q&D. I’m not sure if it would be to much to run KBSF the day before or the day after but instead alternate KBSF with a day break in between Iron Cardio?
Cheers
@WhomtheBellTolls

The overhead volume may become an issue with the potential volume from KBSF.

What you could try is, since KBSF is single bell jerk etc., Run some double bell IC (this will naturally reduce the overall volume) a couple of days a week and run KBSF a couple of days a week.

Thoughts?

Hello everyone
Solid work!

Adding on to the appreciation of @Brett Jones availability to comment and follow up with any questions regarding IC! It's super helpful!

I did have one question, in the pdf there are some examples of press-focused or squat-focused programming. Do you have any recommendations on General Endurance focused?
I have found the +snatch and Traveling 2s + snatch are good for this focus.

Away on holiday with no gym access, but stayed at a friend's today and he had a pair of those light dumbells with a few plates. Managed to squeeze 16kg onto one and did a IC session, alternate sides OTM for 40 minutes of clean, press, squat, & snatch.

It was a very easy session compared to normal, but nice and envigorating and felt like I'd done some good work.

Cheers
I currently alternate IC and A&A DBKB C&J. But replace the over head push with the Bent Press. I only use single bell (mostly 32kg) on IC days so far and have no problem with recovery. I'm 48 .

Back
Top Bottom