all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Kettlebell AXE - general discussion

in the spirit of AxE my intention is all the movements should be moved as explosively as possible, or at least with the intention to do so…the rep scheme has to be based off the movement with which one has the least explosive endurance, right? 6 grindy pushups won’t work…but maybe one can do three explosive…so the squat and swings start at 3 also until the push ups improve.
Reminds me a bit of triple threat training as performed by @Kenneth Bolyard and @Derek Toshner. For example, 3 swings, 3 power push ups and 3 jump squats on the minute for 20, 30, 40 minutes. I’ve seen them sub in things like medicine ball slams and box jumps. Great way to train.

@randyh, one of the things that differentiates Q&D and AXE in my mind is that I'm trying to be more explosive with Q&D while on AXE I've dialed down the intensity a little. Curious to hear what you and others thinks about that.

-S-

@randyh, one of the things that differentiates Q&D and AXE in my mind is that I'm trying to be more explosive with Q&D while on AXE I've dialed down the intensity a little. Curious to hear what you and others thinks about that.

-S-
Well I think that's right. The AxE intensity scheme is based off 80% (is it?) of max 30 second reps? (or, the maximum time you can "sprint" before pacing sets in automatically is ~ 30 sec?) Lazy Strength™. My athletes hate it worse than MAF restrictions.

Having run Quick and the Dead 044 (September thru December of last year) and AXE from January through the end of this week with a 2x/week split combined with easy LISS work 2 or so times per week I have to say I'm quite fond of both programs. I plan to switch to Q&D 033 for six weeks with another six weeks of AXE afterward and plan to run that particular split for at least another year.

Thus far some WTH Effects I've seen:
  1. A faster 10K time from 1:09 (hour:min) in Setpember of last year to 1:06 (hour:min) in February of this year.
  2. Placing fourth out of 8 in my age group (40-44 male) at a local 5K despite some crappy sleep the night before.
  3. A +12 point ACFT score improvement from last spring to this spring. While I might have lost some deadlift performance, a slightly slower run, and sprint/drag/carry, I managed to pull off more hand release pushups, a longer plank, and a further standing power throw.
Frankly I'm likely gonna stick with the AXE/Q&D alternating cycles plan for the forseeable future and am excited to see what more I can pull from this.

Plan 015 from Q&D is practically Axe and takes less time. The load can be varied by the number of sessions per week. Sometimes run 5 repetitions every 45 seconds. Just thoughts....

Back
Top Bottom