all posts post new thread

King Sized Killer

Trooper

Level 4 Valued Member
Surprisingly, I was not able to find a thread with KSK as the headliner. Here goes an attempt. @Geoff Neupert, Thank you.
Backstory, I have completed The Giant with dbl 20kg early last year. Since June, I have been sidelined. A shoulder surgery in December(clean up of labrum, debris removal, and a bicep tenodesis). Turned 50 in January. Physical therapy has been going well. Around day 60 after surgery, the doctor said that nothing I do short of pure stupidity would undo the surgery. I played with snatching some bells. The 25lb went up without pain and easily. The 16kg also went up the same. I then found the sweet spot with he 20kg. I discussed this with the PT and they did not object, not endorsed, but didn't day "NO."

Three weeks later I am through the first cycle of KSK with the 20kg. I love this. My pressing strength has improved as well. I have only done one or two presses with the bells. 16kg is good. 20 kg is rough. I'll do this once a week till I've completed the 9 weeks. Goal is another run through The Giant next. When I rant it earlier, I got stronger, leaner. . . all the things. Proof is not scientific, but I believe the snatch is improving my shoulder mobility and strength.

I hope others are experiencing the same effects.

Surprisingly, I was not able to find a thread with KSK as the headliner. Here goes an attempt. @Geoff Neupert, Thank you.
Backstory, I have completed The Giant with dbl 20kg early last year. Since June, I have been sidelined. A shoulder surgery in December(clean up of labrum, debris removal, and a bicep tenodesis). Turned 50 in January. Physical therapy has been going well. Around day 60 after surgery, the doctor said that nothing I do short of pure stupidity would undo the surgery. I played with snatching some bells. The 25lb went up without pain and easily. The 16kg also went up the same. I then found the sweet spot with he 20kg. I discussed this with the PT and they did not object, not endorsed, but didn't day "NO."

Three weeks later I am through the first cycle of KSK with the 20kg. I love this. My pressing strength has improved as well. I have only done one or two presses with the bells. 16kg is good. 20 kg is rough. I'll do this once a week till I've completed the 9 weeks. Goal is another run through The Giant next. When I rant it earlier, I got stronger, leaner. . . all the things. Proof is not scientific, but I believe the snatch is improving my shoulder mobility and strength.

I hope others are experiencing the same effects.
Good luck! I love KSK.

King-Sized Killer is what made me transition from 2x16kg to 2x24kg snatches (a scary jump for me). Geoff Neupert, IMHO, makes the best programs out there. Between KSK, The Giant, The Wolf and Dry Fighting Weight, the man's got more legendary programs under his belt than any other author I can think of.

King-Sized Killer is what made me transition from 2x16kg to 2x24kg snatches (a scary jump for me). Geoff Neupert, IMHO, makes the best programs out there. Between KSK, The Giant, The Wolf and Dry Fighting Weight, the man's got more legendary programs under his belt than any other author I can think of.
You did KSK with doubles? Did you do half snatches? I much prefer doubles and would love to try KSK, but I thought it was single kb.

Agreed on Geoff, I have lots of his stuff. Awesome

You did KSK with doubles? Did you do half snatches? I much prefer doubles and would love to try KSK, but I thought it was single kb.

Agreed on Geoff, I have lots of his stuff. Awesome
I did, yeah, on both accounts, half-snatches with double bells. It is single KB, but, like you, I don't really see the point of single-hand snatches if I can snatch doubles. Been playing around with the idea of running it again with 2x16kg and full snatches, just to see if my cardio could keep up. I'd have to dial the drop in fully, though, the reward probably doesn't outweigh the risk.

I always did double snatches outside the legs with a narrow stance. Always 1/2 snatch. Too much can go wrong with the back. Never had any desire to go over 20kg with double. I tried it and could do it with 24s, but felt the payoff wasn't there compared to the risk of taking my head off.

On another note, it took me four times to spell "snatches" correctly while typing it. My fingers don't want to work on the keyboard today.

Absolutely going to try it at some stage. Haven’t done much snatching but started to enjoy it when I started Maximorum.

I hear lots of people say regular snatching maintains their press strength. If that’s true I’m even more keen.
Sorting out a minor issue now but hope to try before the end of the year.

I am thinking of doing KSK with doubles since my technique with double half snatch is better than single hand snatches (I know it is weird). Either that or doing maximorum with DHS. Will decide once I am done with the Giant X

Surprisingly, I was not able to find a thread with KSK as the headliner.

I did, yeah, on both accounts, half-snatches with double bells. It is single KB, but, like you, I don't really see the point of single-hand snatches if I can snatch doubles. Been playing around with the idea of running it again with 2x16kg and full snatches, just to see if my cardio could keep up. I'd have to dial the drop in fully, though, the reward probably doesn't outweigh the risk.
You do know the reason double bell snatches are taught that you lower the bells to the rack is for safety yea??

I am thinking of doing KSK with doubles since my technique with double half snatch is better than single hand snatches (I know it is weird). Either that or doing maximorum with DHS. Will decide once I am done with the Giant X
It must be something with your hips and shoulder mobility asymmetry

It must be something with your hips and shoulder mobility asymmetry
It is definitely not that as I can do sots presses with doubles and singles. When I do single snatches with the 16 the form is very good but when I do it with heavier weights I tend to “yank” the weight with my upper body then doing a hip snap so what happens the end position is sort of slow if that makes sense. I find it easier to “snap my hips” with doubles maybe because I am used to double kettlebell cleans.

Any more experiences with KSK?

Thank you. I have a 5RM max, think I would get anything out of KSK by dropping the sets down by 2? I will injure myself on day 1 if I attempt the ladder as written. But I could cut the ladder off by 2 across all 3 days and go from there. Like KSK .5 before starting 1. Everything else would be the same, and same progression.

I actually plan to rotate back and forth between giant as well and just did 2 months of the giant and want to start KSK .5 tonight after work, with the intent to do giant 1.2 afterwards and then KSK 1 after that.

Last edited:
Any more experiences with KSK?
I am currently running the block iteration inspired by the thread Bauer shared a few posts above where you alternate 4 and 3 week blocks of the Giant and KSK respectively. That's my plan for the remainder of the year. I just finished my first 3 week block of KSK and I'm about to switch back to the Giant so not much to report yet. However, I really liked the singular focus on snatching. I haven't snatched much before, just practiced the movement at the end of other sessions, so it was nice to really focus on the technique in the context of getting a lot of reps in. I started with a 20 kg bell for this block. I might repeat the first KSK block again with a 24 kg after I do the next giant block now that my technique is more dialed in.

Thank you. I have a 5RM max, think I would get anything out of KSK by dropping the sets down by 2? I will injure myself on day 1 if I attempt the ladder as written. But I could cut the ladder off by 2 across all 3 days and go from there. Like KSK .5 before starting 1. Everything else would be the same, and same progression.

I actually plan to rotate back and forth between giant as well and just did 2 months of the giant and want to start KSK .5 tonight after work, with the intent to do giant 1.2 afterwards and then KSK 1 after that.
What is the RM of your next bell size down? Even if it's like a 10 RM or something, I would think with the snatch you could go a bit lighter and focus on making each rep super explosive. Potentially you could use that lighter bell size for the first three to six weeks and then start back at the beginning again with your existing 5 RM. I would imagine you would be a good bit stronger in your snatch at that point.

Back
Top Bottom