all posts post new thread

Lifting for Skilled Trades Apprentice

TOGGS

Level 5 Valued Member
Hi Everyone, I will be starting a tile laying apprenticeship next month, and wanted to get some opinions on a good way to structure my training while my body is adjusting to the physical demands of the new job. I'm currently following a full body routine (5x5 - squat, press, hinge/5x8 - pulls) 3x per week, with jump rope on in between days, and a day off every week. Knowing I'll have to scale the actual weights lifted back, I would like to hit the major movement patterns (squat, press, hinge, pull) at least twice weekly as long as it doesn't impact my ability at work. Any and all opinions/thoughts welcomed and appreciated.

Last edited:
Hi Everyone, I will be starting a tile laying apprenticeship next month, and wanted to get some opinions on a good way to structure my training while my body is adjusting to the physical demands of the new job. I'm currently following a full body routine (5x5 - squat, press, hinge/5x8 - pulls) with jump rope on in between days, and a day off every week. Knowing I'll have to scale the actual weights lifted back, I would like to hit the major movement patters (squat, press, hinge, pull) at least twice weekly as long as it doesn't impact my ability at work. Any and all opinions/thoughts welcomed and appreciated.
Currently doing 3 days of iron and 3 days of rope?
Stress is stress, so maybe start with 2 days of iron and go med then light then kick off next week with heavy then med ect.
Non iron days, light to med GU's with some rope.
Adjust as needed.

Hi Everyone, I will be starting a tile laying apprenticeship next month, and wanted to get some opinions on a good way to structure my training while my body is adjusting to the physical demands of the new job. I'm currently following a full body routine (5x5 - squat, press, hinge/5x8 - pulls) with jump rope on in between days, and a day off every week. Knowing I'll have to scale the actual weights lifted back, I would like to hit the major movement patters (squat, press, hinge, pull) at least twice weekly as long as it doesn't impact my ability at work. Any and all opinions/thoughts welcomed and appreciated.
Train by feel. If you feel like crap, do something lighter and easier and shorter. If you feel like a stud, do something studlier. If you are somewhere in between, train like a shorter, lighter stud.

Given my best friend is a tile guy, I would give the advice of making sure you keep your core as strong as possible. My friend has had two hernia surgeries already and he just turned 30. NOW, I'm not saying that will happen to you. I think if you stay relatively strong, pay attention to your recovery and don't get crazy overworked like he did, you'll be just fine. He has been way way overworked for way too long.

Now, take this with a grain of salt. I work a desk job with a very modest physical demand and I'm not a doctor or a coach.

Best of luck! Many folks here will have actual advise for you.

Man 5x5 squats 3x a week and a being an apprentice tile layer. Getting up and down all day and to the truck and back will be tough dragging a couple of logs for legs all day. Hope your young and single. Wish you success the trades can be quite profitable. Also be mindful to take care of your knees. When you’re young it’s ok but . . . .

I might do Q&D twice a week whether it's with swings and pushups or snatches really doesn't matter, I think. Do the standard S&S warm up so you get you squats in and work out any soreness you might have. The 5x5 3 times a week might be great now because you're young. Over the long haul, maybe not the best. Best of luck with your new career and whichever training plan you end up with.

Man 5x5 squats 3x a week and a being an apprentice tile layer. Getting up and down all day and to the truck and back will be tough dragging a couple of logs for legs all day. Hope you’re young and single. Wish you success the trades can be quite profitable. Also be mindful to take care of your knees. When you’re young it’s ok but . . . .
Thanks for the response, Bill. My question is how to change what I’m currently doing now that my career will be changing from a desk job to something physical. I don’t think my current plan is a good one in light of starting such a physical trade. I was hoping to receive constructive responses on modifications that will help allow me to continue some level of lifting until my body adjusts, not comments on the current plan.

Thanks for the response, Bill. My question is how to change what I’m currently doing now that my career will be changing from a desk job to something physical. I don’t think my current plan is a good one in light of starting such a physical trade. I was hoping to receive constructive responses on modifications that will help allow me to continue some level of lifting until my body adjusts, not comments on the current plan.
You could drop your volume to 2 x 5, 1 x 5+ (5,3,1 Pro 5's) 3 days a week. Jim has a two day a week 5,3,1 template that could work well for you if you want to maintain a similar program.

forums.t-nation.com/t/5-3-1-2-day-template/203548

Workout A:

• Overhead Press 5/3/1 + FSL
  • Deadlifts 5/3/1 + FSL
  • Pull-ups x 50 total reps
Workout B:

• Squat 5/3/1 + FSL
  • Bench 5/3/1 + FSL
  • Rows x 50 total reps

The biggest thing is you are going to want a plan that is flexible - that allows you to do a little when you're run down, and then push it when you're feeling good.

@ShawnM 's suggestion of Wendler's FSL is a great example of a plan that has "flex" to it. Always make sure you can do at least 5 reps with your TM and be OK with hitting the "bare minimum" on days you feel like crap, but it has the potential through the top set being an AMRAP and then, for FSL, I like to have a range (like 3-5 sets of 5-10 reps) so you can kill it or not as you feel.

You could drop your volume to 2 x 5, 1 x 5+ (5,3,1 Pro 5's) 3 days a week. Jim has a two day a week 5,3,1 template that could work well for you if you want to maintain a similar program.

forums.t-nation.com/t/5-3-1-2-day-template/203548

Workout A:

• Overhead Press 5/3/1 + FSL
  • Deadlifts 5/3/1 + FSL
  • Pull-ups x 50 total reps
Workout B:

• Squat 5/3/1 + FSL
  • Bench 5/3/1 + FSL
  • Rows x 50 total reps
Truly appreciate it. I think this is exactly what I will do. Thanks

Maybe move to an Easy Strength type of routine for the first 4-8 weeks then adjust. Make sure you do like John K suggested also, go by feel, if you feel like crap skip a day, rest and evaluate the next day.

Last edited:
Do whatever training keeps you to keep on training. Back the load way off and build it back up while you are getting adjusted to your new job. Eventually you’ll have the staying power for both or you’ll learn that your strength routine is too much an adjust accordingly.

Two things I recommend on the job.
One- maintain a Neutral spine position at all times!
No slouching under load!
And especially no twisting under load!
Two- do goblet squats to maintain a full range squat, cause you'll probably be in this position a lot!

In my 20s-30s, I had no problems working with DOMS,
Now in my late 50s, I hate working with DOMS!

Good luck

I would consider adding some overcoming isometrics to the mix. They take very little in the way of recovery resources, are great for helping with mobility and blue collar strength.

It will also have a more synergisic effect maybe with your trade craft as opposed to traditional work which tends to compete for recovery.

Keep doing the jump rope.

Back
Top Bottom