all posts post new thread

Lifting odd things (because why not)

lais817

Level 7 Valued Member
Last edited:
I have done swings with our Yeti cooler. I was playing around with my wife at a summer party. She was teasing me how obsessed I am with kettlebells. I answered "who me?" and started swinging the cooler.

In my defense the cooler has a kettlebell sticker on it!

Demonstrating functional strength is cool and satisfying.

Most recently lifting a 50 gallon hot water heater into my truck bed, then maneuvering it for installation.

18 years ago, put a 160 lb electric motor (about the size of a 5 gal propane gas tank) on my shoulder and climbed a ladder to the roof of my work building for my maintenance guy to install.

Picked up the rear end of my VW rabbit to fit it into a very tight parallel parking spot (early 80's)

Check this video out if you haven't already. Some good stone lifting.
Yeah, I love that video. I've seen it several times.
I've watched/read a ton on stone lifting, just never gotten a chance to actually do it myself.
A few months ago, my wife had a prenatal appointment, so I took the day off work and went with her. I picked up our youngest at preschool that day. When we got home, she asked, "Daddy, can I watch something where people pick up rocks?" and she lifted her arms up over her head like an overhead press. heh That Basque video with Martins is what she picked, and she sat in the floor and watched it on my laptop all the way through.
She and Martins share a birthday.

Yeah, I love that video. I've seen it several times.
I've watched/read a ton on stone lifting, just never gotten a chance to actually do it myself.
A few months ago, my wife had a prenatal appointment, so I took the day off work and went with her. I picked up our youngest at preschool that day. When we got home, she asked, "Daddy, can I watch something where people pick up rocks?" and she lifted her arms up over her head like an overhead press. heh That Basque video with Martins is what she picked, and she sat in the floor and watched it on my laptop all the way through.
She and Martins share a birthday.
That’s awesome, thanks for sharing that. I made some atlas stones a few years ago and lift them frequently. Maybe you will find some stones in the woods or a landscape place.

Basketball backboard - 150+ lbs of glass, had to get over my head to get it on the frame for mounting.

To be fair, it wasn't a "raw" lift - I kind of slid it up a ladder. But man that @#$%ing thing was heavy, and I didn't have anyone else around who was healthy/strong enough to help me at the time. ROFL

Fun thread!

I sometimes powerclean our 10 year old. Starting with her on the floor on all hands and knees. I clean her up to what I guess would be some kind of front rack position, with her feet up by the ceiling. I did it once as a gag, and now she keeps asking me to do it again. It’s pretty fun and funny.

Just got off a trip down the Mighty Colorado River thru the Grand Canyon. Standard equipment we had to load/unload from rafts daily included propane tanks and 5gal water jugs. I got in the habit of doing 2 hand swings with the propane (housed in rectangular milk crates) and cleaning the full water jugs to my shoulder to carry them off raft and around camp as needed. Fun. And better than carrying the jugs around camp with them bashing me in the legs.

Fun thread!

I sometimes powerclean our 10 year old. Starting with her on the floor on all hands and knees. I clean her up to what I guess would be some kind of front rack position, with her feet up by the ceiling. I did it once as a gag, and now she keeps asking me to do it again. It’s pretty fun and funny.

Just got off a trip down the Mighty Colorado River thru the Grand Canyon. Standard equipment we had to load/unload from rafts daily included propane tanks and 5gal water jugs. I got in the habit of doing 2 hand swings with the propane (housed in rectangular milk crates) and cleaning the full water jugs to my shoulder to carry them off raft and around camp as needed. Fun. And better than carrying the jugs around camp with them bashing me in the legs.

Waaaaaaay back in university, i had been training grappling for about 3 or 4 years and I was goofing around at my gf's place with her female best friend. i grabbed the friend around the waist from behind and lifted her up onto my shoulders like a WWE slam was coming, with her head down and her feet up. She drove off the ceiling with her legs, slamming me into the ground and knocking the wind out of me. Apparently it looked amazing.

Last edited:
Waaaaaaay back in university, i had been training grappling for about 3 or 4 years and I was goofing around at my gf's place with her female best friend. i grabbed the friend around the waist from behind and lifted her up onto my shoulders like a WWE slam was coming, with her head down and her feet up. She drove off the ceiling with her legs, slamming me into the ground and knocking the wind out of me. Apparently it looked amazing.
Are you sure this wasn’t a fight between Zangief and Chun Li?

Back
Top Bottom