all posts post new thread

Barbell Meet Report - WNPF, June 5, 2016, Edison, New Jersey

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Steve Freides

Staff
Senior Certified Instructor Emeritus
Elite Certified Instructor
WNPF meet: Deadlift only, Raw, Male, 148 lb., 60-64 years old. My most recent PL meet prior to this one was also WNPF, in December, 2014, when I pulled 360 lbs a few months before my 60th birthday. My lifetime best, set just after I turned 50, is 364 lbs.

This time, I opened with 315, pulled 330 for my second attempt, and decided to call it a day there - I usually only do 2 pulls, not three. I'm now 61 years young. I weighed in at 148.15 pounds - the upper limit for my weight class is 148.8.

It has been the busiest year of my life - some big family things, and two new, part-time jobs without dropping anything else I was already doing. Here is my 2nd pull:

I was _so_ tired going into this meet - as but one example, the day before the meet, I played a rehearsal followed by a memorial service in our un-air-conditioned church, so I was there from 11:15 AM to 2:45 PM, inside temperature of 90+ degrees F, then came home, jumped in the car, and drove to the meet for the weigh-in.

I showed up, I lifted, and based on my past pulls, I know I could have pulled a few more pounds, but I'm just happy to have done a meet after an 18-month absence. I hope and plan to lift once or twice a year in competition going forward from here. If S&S advises "once every two weeks, do a non-stop swing session," for a powerlifter, that translates to, "twice a year, enter a meet."

Onward and Upward from here. I believe I have a 400 lbs. deadlift in me, and I intend to keep going after it to the extent that the balance I insist on with the rest of my life will allow me to do so. A big thank-you to my wife (with whom I just celebrated wedding anniversary #32) for coming along and taking the video.

-S-

Great job. Your form is very similar to mine but I notice your head is looking downwards more so than mine. I may try that next time I pull.

Great job. Your form is very similar to mine but I notice your head is looking downwards more so than mine. I may try that next time I pull.
Thank you, William.

Looking down at the start isn't recommended for everyone - please be careful.

-S-

Congratulations, Steve! I find the way you look for progress and balance inspiring.

Despite being 40 years older than me and 40 pounds lighter you still pull heavier than me! Congratulations Steve, a true inspiration to all of us on this forum.

Despite being 40 years older than me and 40 pounds lighter you still pull heavier than me! Congratulations Steve, a true inspiration to all of us on this forum.
@RobbieF, put some weight on that bar and get to it!

:)

Thank you for the kind words, they are always appreciated.

If you're that age and that size, you need some barbell DL instruction, sir - get yourself to our barbell user course, our barbell instructor cert, or spend some quality time with one of us in person or over Skype to help you with your form. Or post a video here.

-S-

@Steve Freides I'm going to start taking the deadlift seriously after I hit some kettlebell goals. I'll make sure I post a video on here when I start deadlifting again. I have managed a 150kg deadlift before, however, i'd like to hit a 180kg deadlift which would be double bodyweight for me

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom