all posts post new thread

New to Powerlifting

I was asking for bench. My squat is at 450. I was asking how realistic is it to add 70lbs to my bench in 8 months

based on what I saw here no way you making this number in the meet. May be DL. For squat and bench no way front judge would get you a start comment.

based on what I saw here no way you making this number in the meet. May be DL. For squat and bench no way front judge would get you a start comment.

This was from my VERY FIRST time lofting in 15 years. Had no idea on pauses, and proper depth. Was just using this as a basis for what weights I needed to purchase for my home gym to be able to workout.

I just uploaded a video of me reaching depth squatting at 395(max I have available to workout with). My bench is comfortable at 335, although it's possible I'm closer to 350, haven't tested again but I can hit 335 2x

Start a routine, start a training journal and get with it Imo. Lol You'll drive yourself crazy trying to get constant validation on the interwebz. I know we're all probably guilty of it from time to time, but really the only way to know what you're capable of is to set some goals and train to get to them. You're just starting back up so imo worrying about anything else other than getting a good stretch of solid training is pointless. As they say, Rome wasn't built in a day.

Bro you’re an outlier. Train hard, train smart, who knows what you’ll be able to do!
Here's the link to my training log.... I think I did it right?

Form advice on my deadlift? Struggled with the form. Weight seemed pretty easy, definitely had 5-10 more reps of 325 in me, but I can't get the right position I feel... advice?

Form advice on my deadlift? Struggled with the form. Weight seemed pretty easy, definitely had 5-10 more reps of 325 in me, but I can't get the right position I feel... advice?

Form looks good from what I can tell from the front angle (a little to the side is better so we can see your back angle) adn with a relatively light weight.

However I did notice your feet are very unsteady. I think it's the shoes with squishy soles. Consistency in form is very hard when the immediate contact with the ground is variable. Do you have some Chuck Taylors or other flat soled shoes?

Form looks good from what I can tell from the front angle (a little to the side is better so we can see your back angle) adn with a relatively light weight.

However I did notice your feet are very unsteady. I think it's the shoes with squishy soles. Consistency in form is very hard when the immediate contact with the ground is variable. Do you have some Chuck Taylors or other flat soled shoes?
So I don't, but I will get some. I have seen that in other places saying to get flats.

Also, I measured and I have short legs, a very long torso, and short arms. My wife is 5'1", I am 5'10", yet we are the exact same height to the hips.... not sure if those measurements should help or hurt me.

not sure if those measurements should help or hurt me.

As for shoes, I really like my classic do-wins. Rogue makes them now I think.

I also have jacked up ankles. Suffered an almost disabling injury in 2019 at work where material fell on my ankle causing multiple torn ligaments. Never had surgery nor really any rehab other than at home. Probably need to do some ankle mobility exercises to help some. I notice when I go into down position, I am on the balls of my feet... is that normal or how do I work at correcting that?

Thank you again for your advice. I don't want you(or anyone else) to think it goes unappreciated.

I also have jacked up ankles. Suffered an almost disabling injury in 2019 at work where material fell on my ankle causing multiple torn ligaments. Never had surgery nor really any rehab other than at home. Probably need to do some ankle mobility exercises to help some. I notice when I go into down position, I am on the balls of my feet... is that normal or how do I work at correcting that?

Thank you again for your advice. I don't want you(or anyone else) to think it goes unappreciated.
You want to be sitting back and driving thru your heels.

You want to be sitting back and driving thru your heels.
Thats what I thought. I just have to figure out the positioning better so I can do this. Almost every lift was on the balls of my feet. I'm gonna watch a few more videos of big guys deadlifting, and will try and take notes to how they set up, and work at replicating it with like 135 on the bar just to get in a groove hopefully on my off day.

After rewatching my video, I start on the balls of my feet then rock to my heel as I come to the top of the lift. I wonder how much power I'm losing lifting this way.

and work at replicating it with like 135 on the bar just to get in a groove hopefully on my off day.
Honestly that's a bigger issue than something to just work on on an off day. If you start progressing in weight without your form corrected it could cause a lot of problems and potential injuries down the line. Imo you should stop worrying about weight for now untill you get your form down and take care of any mobility issues there might be.

Honestly that's a bigger issue than something to just work on on an off day. If you start progressing in weight without your form corrected it could cause a lot of problems and potential injuries down the line. Imo you should stop worrying about weight for now untill you get your form down and take care of any mobility issues there might be.
Well I look at it this way. I don't have a habit of doing it the wrong way yet. If I can figure out the right way hopefully I can make that my habit. And yes, I agree on weight. Low weights as I practice on my off days figuring out my placement.

Different camera angles can tell different stories, but the 395 form check squat looked good and I didn't see anything weird w. the ankles. Not saying that ankle work wouldn't help, just that it looked good there.

Back
Top Bottom