all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Opposite of Get-Up

rvaldrich

Level 5 Valued Member
Howdy! So here's an odd question: if the opposite of the Kettlebell Swing is the axe chop (or tire-and-hammer strikes), what would be the opposite of the Get-Up?
Maybe the cable rotational chip? I'm curious, whatchu think?

Howdy! So here's an odd question: if the opposite of the Kettlebell Swing is the axe chop (or tire-and-hammer strikes), what would be the opposite of the Get-Up?

It depends on the context

My choices would be the renegade row, 1LDL and crawling

• Lie face down on the floor with a KB beside you.
  • Grab the bell and work your way to the stand up postion, trying not to use the KB as a supporting point.
  • Reverse the movement until you are resting on your belly again.
  • Do it again multiple times, varying the postion of the KB and switching hands.
  • This would be Dan John's Get-Back-Up with added loading.

Which version: Backstreet Boys or Kool and the Gang?

"Do a little dance...make a little love..."

if the opposite of the Kettlebell Swing is the axe chop (or tire-and-hammer strikes),
On a serious note, why does an exercise need to have an opposite? And an axe chop or sledge hammer strike seems more like an overspeed eccentric of a swing or snatch, not really the opposite.

Last edited:
"Do a little dance...make a little love..."

Good man!
On a serious note, why does an exercise need to have an opposite? And an axe chop or sledge hammer strike seems more like an overspeed eccentric of a swing or snatch, not really the opposite.
Mostly just a thought experiment, but also because I've had a lot of positive experiences mixing swings and chopping wood. I was musing on some sort of Nega-Simple & Sinister (Complex & Kind?) but needed an opposite Get-Up.

Works way too many muscles in too many different movements to find one ‘opposite’ for imo.
Yeah, but still. It doesn't need to be a one-for-one opposite. As stated above, there's actually some carryover between the chop and the swing, but the basic premise is there. Sort of like how one can view the Muscle-Up as the opposite of the Clean + Jerk.
You get down into the weeds, they aren't *THAT* different, but you get down into the weeds and the push-up and the row aren't that different.

• Lie face down on the floor with a KB beside you.
  • Grab the bell and work your way to the stand up postion, trying not to use the KB as a supporting point.
  • Reverse the movement until you are resting on your belly again.
  • Do it again multiple times, varying the postion of the KB and switching hands.
  • This would be Dan John's Get-Back-Up with added loading.
Ooh! That's solid. Thank you!

Since the get up is basically "getting up" while laying on your back, I would say the opposite would be some movement where you "get up" while laying on your stomach.

So I'm thinking, from the stomach a controlled push up. Then a controlled step up into runners lunge, then stand. Back down to lunge, back to hands on the ground, plank, lower. Back up and step up with opposite leg.

I could be wrong.

I've always thought the opposite of the swing was the hanging leg raise....

I have been thinking about this and trying not to just give an absurd answer.

If a swing has:
-Hip extension
-Eccentric loading of the posterior chain (hips and back/shoulders/upper back)

Then it's "opposite" would involve:
-Hip flexion with anterior loading of the core and hip flexors (meaning like you're doing a crunch/sit-up/leg raise)
-Loading through the shoulder extensors (pulling "down" with the lats)

So the "opposite" of a swing would be those cable pull down things that crossfitters do (too lazy to google atm). Something like a med ball slam might fit the bill for the "opposite" of a swing.

If a get up has:
-Anterior core loading (since you're generally facing "up") more than posterior
-Anterior shoulder loading (pushing, once again, "up") or shoulder flexion
-Hip extension, again

-Posterior core loading (extensors like lats, long head of triceps, posterior delts, traps and rhomboids)
-Shoulder extension
-Hip flexion

Good luck finding something where you're flexing the hips and loading the back extensors. My somewhat tongue in cheek answer which involves shoulder extension and hip flexion would be the gymnastic skill, the manna. Good luck.
1688924906580.png

I have been thinking about this and trying not to just give an absurd answer.

If a swing has:
-Hip extension
-Eccentric loading of the posterior chain (hips and back/shoulders/upper back)

-Hip flexion with anterior loading of the core and hip flexors (meaning like you're doing a crunch/sit-up/leg raise)
-Loading through the shoulder extensors (pulling "down" with the lats)

So the "opposite" of a swing would be those cable pull down things that crossfitters do (too lazy to google atm). Something like a med ball slam might fit the bill for the "opposite" of a swing.

If a get up has:
-Anterior core loading (since you're generally facing "up") more than posterior
-Anterior shoulder loading (pushing, once again, "up") or shoulder flexion
-Hip extension, again

-Posterior core loading (extensors like lats, long head of triceps, posterior delts, traps and rhomboids)
-Shoulder extension
-Hip flexion

Good luck finding something where you're flexing the hips and loading the back extensors. My somewhat tongue in cheek answer which involves shoulder extension and hip flexion would be the gymnastic skill, the manna. Good luck.
View attachment 21953

I was going to suggest front levers!

Back
Top Bottom