all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Progression/Appreciation Post

HarryO

Level 1 Valued Member
Introduction to Kettlebells and StrongFirst -- Progression/Appreciation Post

How did I start?​

I was whinging to my movement therapist about my crowded gym. He recommended kettlebells and the book Simple and Sinister (thanks Andrew). I read the book. And very quickly bought a set of kettlebells from 8-24kg in 4 kg increments.

I watched videos of StrongFirst instructors and read the book. Did the learning progressions for both movements in the book and begun 2h swinging at 16kg and TGU at 12kg four times a week. I worked on technique for the TGU and swing with my Movement Therapist. This helped immensely but was infrequent.

Was I stronger than a 16kg 2h swing/ 12kg TGU then? Yes. Did I have the form to start heavier than this? I’m not sure.

Goals and Lack Of Them​

I didn’t really have a goal to strive towards. I wanted to enjoy the process regardless of achieving a goal or not. But, a goal helps me at times. I chose the Timeless Simple standard. 32kg one-handed swings and TGU.

Before Instructor​

• Spent ~8 months working out 2-4 days a week. I had niggling injuries constantly which would frustratingly halt my progress for periods of 1-4 weeks. Attempted to self correct form problems. Reread the book and rewatched the videos.
  • Made slow progress. Moved up to 20kg 2h swings and 20kg TGU’s. Was going through the motions at times and not enjoying some of the work. Especially the swings.
  • Frustrated I posted a video to the StrongFirst forum looking for advice. Got some great feedback. Ended up reaching out and working with the fantastic instructor Mark

After Instructor​

Have worked with the excellent @Mark Limbaga now for ~8 weeks. Improvements have been;
  • Form and skill improvement.
  • One hand swings went from 16kg to 32kg.
  • TGU’s went from 20kg to 28kg.
  • Less injuries. Better variations and rehabbing for current injuries/niggles.
  • More variety and increased satisfaction working out.
The best parts about working with an instructor;
  • Form correction. A 30 minute video session with Mark helped my form more than 6 months of attempted self corrections — no surprises there. Sending videos to be critiqued every workout helped even more.
  • Variation. I enjoy the other movements Mark has taught me and I now incorporate into my workouts. Examples - crawling, dead bugs, segmental and commando rolling.
  • Accountability. Nothing has held me as accountable as someone giving me workouts and expecting me to do them.
  • Progress.

What Would I Do Differently Next Time?​

• Engage with an instructor at the beginning. Maybe after playing with the movements for one week or so. I was hesitant about doing this by video call — my closest SF instructor lives 3 hours away — but it worked very well. Working with Mark gave me confidence to increase weight when possible.
  • Bought cast iron instead of competition kettlebells — this is entirely personal preference.
  • I would start by buying a set of 12, 16, 20, 24 kettlebells. Not a recommendation just a reflection.
  • DO THE DANG STRETCHES. Even if it’s just five minutes. I, like a lot of other people, thought they were the least important aspect of the program and deprioritised them.
Thanks to @Mark Limbaga and everyone here who has provided feedback. This is a wonderful community.

Stay strong!

Can’t remember where I read it but the saying was something like, Spending 1 hour with a wise man is more beneficial than spending 100 years reading.

Back
Top Bottom