all posts post new thread

Barbell Question about deloading

metaldrummer

Level 6 Valued Member
What would y'all do for accessories during a deload? Like for instance I'm effectively deloading for bench and probably OHP this week. Normally I would do heavy skulls and tricep extensions after bench but I'm thinking that it probably wouldn't make much sense to be deloading and trying to do skullcrushers with 100 lbs. Lol How do y'all go about it? Just drop accessories entirely or go with something lighter?

Depends on how much and how long you want to deload. I'm going to disagree w. Brian - the purpose of a deload can vary and if the purpose is to give a break from the primary lift then that's one thing; if the purpose is to give your body a break period, then that's another.

Depends on how much and how long you want to deload. I'm going to disagree w. Brian - the purpose of a deload can vary and if the purpose is to give a break from the primary lift then that's one thing; if the purpose is to give your body a break period, then that's another.
I just wanted to do it for upper this week since the program calls for a deload for bench and I wanted to give myself a bit of a break from so much pressing anyways. Next week I'm doing a mock meet probably Tuesday and see if I can hit a 215-220 bench. I could just do like 80% for accessories maybe? I think 50% would be way too light.

What would y'all do for accessories during a deload? Like for instance I'm effectively deloading for bench and probably OHP this week. Normally I would do heavy skulls and tricep extensions after bench but I'm thinking that it probably wouldn't make much sense to be deloading and trying to do skullcrushers with 100 lbs. Lol How do y'all go about it? Just drop accessories entirely or go with something lighter?
My general recommendation is just like @BrianCF and do 50%. BUT how that looks changes - 50% volume if you're feeling pretty good and just need a little break, 50% load / 100% volume if you're a bit more beat up, or 50% both if you're really needing a break. This can be as short as 1-2 days or as much as a week or two. And sometimes I don't deload accessories at all, just the primary lift.

So ... uh ... it depends? ;)

Just drop accessories entirely or go with something lighter?
I'm lazy, so when given the choice I'll drop them. More often I'll cut volume on my accessories, but I also tend to do higher reps for accessories so it is already "light".

the purpose of a deload
Periodization Training

Once a training cycle has been pushed in the final week to the limit or near the limit of a Periodization Training Cycle, a New Periodization Training Cycle is begun with a substantial decrease in Loading while Varying the Exercises.

As in multiple post on this, Varying The Exercise can be as simple as going from a Wide Grip Bench Press to a Narrow Grip, Wide Stance Squat to a Narrow, or a Conventional Narrow Stance Squat to a Sumo.

The same Muscle Group are being trained from a different angle.

Active Recovery

Starting an New Periodization Training Cycle elicits Active Recovery.

Performing an Exercise with a Lower Load increase blood flow the Muscles which increase recovery.

Number of Periodization Weeks

The Number of Periodization Weeks varies dependent on...

Training Age

This is defined as how long a lifter has been training.

1) Novice Lifters

These lifter adapt slowly. Thus, they can preform the same Periodization Training Cycle for around 12 Weeks before it need to be changed.

2) Advance Lifters

These lifter adapt quickly. They need to change their Periodization Training Cycle about every 3 - 4 Weeks.

3) Intermediate Lifter

These lifters are in the middle. They need to change their Training Cycle about every 6 - 8 Weeks.

The Training Objective

The Training Objective of a well written Periodization Training Plan is to progressive increase Strength over time with a Cyclical Plan that incorporates OverReaching in conjunction with Active Recovery.

Short Deloads

These are short term solution that limit long term results.

I wanted to give myself a bit of a break from so much pressing anyways. Next week I'm doing a mock meet probably
Tapering For Competition

This is a type of Deload that usually occurs over a couple of weeks. Every sport utilize this approach.

I could just do like 80% for accessories maybe? I think 50% would be way too light.
Accessory Exercise

A Taper usually involves dropping Auxiliary Exercises along with a dramatic decrease in the Loading of the Lift that you want to perform a Personal 1 Repetition Max in.

Let me reinforce that "Think" amount to guessing, which is never good.

Anecdotal Data

The Tapering has been employed for decades by athletes in all sports because it works.

Research substantiates this approach.

Individual who Lack Knowledge need to follow "The Training Cookbook" which is proven to produce results.

If a Taper is performed correctly it produces...

Super Compensation

The body rebounds from the Progressively OverLoading of the Periodization Training Cycle by Super Compensation; an increase in Strength.

This is the foundation on which Periodization Training is built based on...

The General Adaptation Syndrome

This applies to diseases and to Training, Dieting, etc., as well.

Hyperbolically stated, you either adapt or die.

In a Training Program that mean, that if the program is well written, the Periodization Training Cycle Plan ensures Long Term Gains in Performance.

If a Training Program does not properly allow for Recovery, the death part of training means stagnation of gains in performance and eventually going backwards. This is a common issue with many.

"Wound Healing"

This means the amount of time required to heal is proportionate to the amount of trauma.

OverReaching

This is a mild form of OverTraining; recovery is faster.

Continuing push past OverReaching leads to...

OverTraining

The farther an individual pushes into OverTraining, the longer the Recovery Time Required.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom