all posts post new thread

Old Forum rdlfitness

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

nickah901

First Post
Hello all, not sure if this article has already been discussed, but what does everyone think?

http://www.rdlfitness.com/avoid-kettlebells/

I like some of the other articles discussing minimalist fitness, but it's hard to accept these views on my favorite fitness tool.

there are many great tools for training the body and mind - barbells, dumbells, heavy bags, jump ropes,  sandbags, rocks, javelins, hammers, saws, oars, knives, rings, pull-up bars, bicycles, skis, water, trampolines, etc., etc., etc., heck, Milo used a bull… oh yeah … and kettle bells.  if the time is not taken to learn how to properly use these tools, injury is a likely result and, as Pavel says, there is no one to blame but yourself and you especially should not blame the tool.  squats are bad for you knees and back if done improperly, great for both if done correctly.  overhead presses are bad for your neck, shoulders, back and wrists, if done improperly, great for all if done correctly.  everything done improperly carries the risk of injury and/or lackluster results.  this article makes baseless claims and discredits the writer.

this discussion page is obviously filled with people who take kettle bell training seriously, so i suspect this article will raise a lot of eyebrows, but i wouldn't expect many comments, as its a waste of time.

by the way - the header this guy uses for his webpage has a silhouette of Steve Reeves next to the name of the site - Reeves was an avid kettlebell enthusiast - enough said.

This guy appears to think that ballistic lifting and overhead lifting of any kind should be avoided. Kind of hard to take him seriously.

It is even harder to take him seriously when you read what can be found at the bottom of the page.

Read the reasons TGU should be avoided. http://www.rdlfitness.com/avoid-turkish-get-up/

As many of the reasons for avoiding the KBs are hard to discuss not having scientific data , reasons for avoiding TGUs are just plain stupid as for example "KB can fall on you" :D

This guy insists on avoiding every possible training tool. Lets avoid his site ;)

Nick, we don't say that other people are wrong, only that we know that what we do works.  There will always be nay-sayers.

-S-

I read over several articles on that site, many are pretty good, it's a site worth bookmarking, even though I disagree with him on a bunch of things.

I get him, though, he's had many injuries and he is now very conservative with his own training and his recommendations to others...too conservative. For example, I agree with him that free weights are still the most adaptive tool for building strength.  He's of course right, but we have too many examples of how a tool like a kettlebell can also build significant strength AND conditioning.

There are significant risks with the barbell too, risks he underestimates.  And I learned more about good form with free weights, while learning how to use kettlebells correctly, than I EVER learned just focusing on free weights.

I read over several articles on that site, many are pretty good, it's a site worth bookmarking, even though I disagree with him on a bunch of things.

I get him, though, he's had many injuries and he is now very conservative with his own training and his recommendations to others...too conservative. For example, he doesn't like kettlebells, he says barbells/dumbbells are better. I agree with him that free weights are still the most adaptive tool for building strength.  He's of course right, but we have too many examples of how a tool like a kettlebell can also build significant strength AND conditioning.  He doesn't like suspension trainers, he doesn't like bodyweight exercises, he doesn't like strength bands...Jeez! They're all useful tools but certainly not the end all and be all.  Who says they are?

There are significant risks with the barbell too, risks he underestimates.  And I learned more about good form with free weights, while learning how to use kettlebells correctly, than I EVER learned just focusing on free weights.

I agree with everyone especially Marchese that every fitness tool/method has a chance for injury. Heck I had a mishap with a 32kg doing get ups early this year that put me out of training for a few months. Now I am doing get ups with the beast and swings with the 40kg.   I guess every now and then I like to look at different views and approaches to fitness and this article was just something I wanted to share. Thanks for the replies everyone!

somebody needs to tell Dan John that there is no carryover from kettlebells to sports performance *chuckles*

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom