all posts post new thread

Recommendations/Reviews/FS/WTB Recommendation: Podcast with Brad Schoenfeld on Hypertrophy

Products recommendations and reviews, items For Sale or Wanted To Buy

Bauer

Level 8 Valued Member

(Also available on Spotify, etc.)

I like this podcast epdisode for several reasons:
- Brad Schoenfeld is clearly an expert on the field and gets enough room to express his thoughts
- He speaks from experience as a former bodybuilder, strength trainer, AND experienced researcher
- He comes across as very humble, and highlights where he has changed his thinking, and also where he doesn't have clear data and is only expressing educated guesses

A couple of highlights and key take-aways:
On protein:
- For maximizing hypertrophy, try to get at least 1.6 g of protein per kg of bodyweight per day (up to 2.2 g/kg/day)
- Try to get it from whole foods, but supplementation is fine
- Protein needs actually increase when being in a deficit
- Recomp is possible, especially for overweight people.
- Overall protein intake is most important, but if you can, spread you daily protein intake into 3-4 meals (0.4 g/kg/meal)

On training and recovery:
- A wide range of rep ranges can make your muscles grow, as long as the effort is high enough (even sets of 30 or 40 reps)
- Going to failure is not necessary for hypertrophy if the effort is high enough (keep a few reps in the tank)
- Mechanical tension and total volume seem to be more important than hormonal effects on hypertrophy. In other words, rest long enough to ensure you can get quality volume in. Short rest periods are overrated. (This surprised me, but is totally in line with Fabio Zonin's recommendations in BuiltStrong Minimalist)
- Resistance training helps with bone density. And with preserving muscle mass while losing weight.
- Sufficient protein intake, sleep, omega 3s, and general activity are best for recovery

Overall, there is so much conflicting information on this topic that I found it very helpful to get an overview of the current state of research, both confirming some of my knowdege as well as debunking some common myths.

Last edited:
I'm actually in the middle of his book Max Muscle Plan 2.0. It was published 2022 so it includes the latest data on the scientific side of things. Much of the book is about performing exercise, but the first few chapters are all about physiology and the latest science, and then he has a 3 phase program prioritized for muscular development. (without giving too much away, phases go 'strength > metabolic > muscle'). He finishes by discussing the cardio connection.

From @Bauer posted it definitely matches the book. It sounds like one of the next frontiers of hypertrophy is specific to type 1 or type 2 fibers. In the book he intimates it's still equivocal - some evidence shows high load/low rep is better for type 2, while higher rep for type 1, though he says it's not conclusive. From a muscle building standpoint he therefore encourages do all ranges. It doesn't go into detail as the book is about size, but it would be interesting to see if that recommendation would apply to power/strength sports.

Worth a read from one of the best!

Thank you very much @Bauer , especially for the highlights!
This is in line with most of the info I've heard on the topic, which may be often contradictory, especially when it's about rest periods and going to failure.

Btw, he also talks about other topics, such as cardio and interference effect (probably overrated, just watch your overall training load and recovery), heat and cold, implications for older folks, overall volume, stretching, YOGA, the role of power training etc.

@wespom9 : Yeah, he also describes a study where people followed an intense stretching protocol for the calves and experienced some hypertrophy from it - but only in the type 1 fibers.

Anyway, the one thing I found missing was a discussion of maintaining muscle mass at a decent level (his focus is usually on maximizing muscle growth).

Back
Top Bottom