all posts post new thread

Kettlebell "Shadow Swings" (Over-speed Eccentric) Demo?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Sean M

Level 7 Valued Member
I see in Simple & Sinister a discussion recommending "shadow swings", or over-speed eccentrics, for deload days. It says to be done two-handed with a 'bell 30% of bodyweight or less.

I would love to see what this is supposed to look like. I have tried but failed to find a demo. Might I suggest SF post a video on their YouTube? It would probably need a disclaimer/explanation that it's not the "normal" swing - explain what is for exactly.

I did some in the speed test video in this thread How fast do we swing Kettlebells?

There is also some extensive discussion in that thread about how people do them differently, as well as links to past threads on this topic. Happy reading... :)

Which is related to this article: How to Get the Benefit of Depth Jumps Without Jumping

Of course, these add to whatever Anna has to say and/or show! :)

To my part, I'll try to briefly explain what a shadow swing is (and I would like to be corrected if wrong).
A shadow swing is a variant of the kettlebell swing in which you purposely accelerate the down phase. Its purpose is to do "more work" (for lack of better words and because if CrossFit claims an "American swing" produces more work, then I feel I have the right to say so about shadow ones!). The main difference I can see and greatly appreciate is a sensible load of the anterior chain. I know two main ways of shadow swinging:
  1. by pulling the bell back with your own force: you should focus on not allowing the bell to float, meaning you should be pulling the bell back as soon as the "up phase" ends, using the quads, the abdomen, arms and shoulders;
  2. by the use of an implement, frequently being resistance bands: this might even not be a shadow swing, but it is overspeed never the less. You can vary bands to add or subtract momentum to the down phase.
I should say first that I rarely do them because I don't like them. There's no particular reason why, I just don't like them and I don't do them. This is not to say they shouldn't be done. Many very respectable people here find it an awesome exercise because it is one. The rare times I practice them, I do them the without bands, mostly because I haven't got one, but also because by my limited knowledge and the use of logic, I think doing them by oneself engages more muscles that usually get less love than the posterior chain ones.

I wrote this post on and off... It could very well be a pile of garbage... In this case, please tell and I'll clarify!

Hello,

What I like with shadow swing is the back work which is amplified with a band. I used this strategy when I wanted to work my core for my front lever.

It also amplifies shoulder work due to extra resistance to the ground. It also forces you (IMO) to control the down phase, when the bell is between your legs because the band gives lots of inertia.

The only negative point I see is that when tension is maximal in the band, it can alterate a little the balance.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Overspeed with bands are awesome. Do a heavy set, wait 5 minutes, then do the overspeed set. Do a couple set like this, then swing your normal working bell.

Enjoy the extra power.

Edit: I also like using the bands because it takes a technical element out the swing. I can just focus on staying tight at the bottom and staying explosive.

I might actually try some overspeeds with a band after this thread. I personally always liked the "light" days on S&S as they gave much more than I was expecting.

@Frank_IT, thanks - that video is great!

For now, my "light" days are two-hand swings with my working weight (24kg one-arm), but once I own the 32 (one-arm), I'll try this out with the 24 on the deload days.

Hello,

BIG fan of banded overspeed
As an instructor, do you do it often ? I mean, in a "structured" program, or do you use it only for a specific goal (if you do a sport for e.g.) ?

Kind regards,

Pet'

BIG fan of banded overspeed. On of my favorite movements

I have actually never tried banded swings -- I think I will today. Do you set it up just as Craig Marker does in the video?

Hello,

As an instructor, do you do it often ? I mean, in a "structured" program, or do you use it only for a specific goal (if you do a sport for e.g.) ?

Kind regards,

Pet'

I don't work as a trainer except for my girlfriend sometimes so I cannot comment on programming and results of others. Personally I sometimes have a problem reversing the bell too soon/not waiting for it to finish it's downward motion/not getting a deep enough hip hinge. The band I use (elitefts monster mini, sometimes 2 at once) helps me get a very deep hinge because of how fast the bell comes back (very fast).

I have actually never tried banded swings -- I think I will today. Do you set it up just as Craig Marker does in the video?

I set up exactly like that.

2 tips.

1.) When you are in your stance and ready give both sides of the band a little flick with your fingers to make sure both sides are about equal tension.

2.) Not sure what kind of bells you have but mine leave little room for my pinkies and my bands are more of a square shape than the flatter band it looks like Craig has. When my pinkie rubs on the square band it can seperate my skin a bit from my pinkie nail. Very painful but easily solved by wrapping the pinkie with something (heavy duty bandaid or duct tape). Don't let that discourage you though, you might not even have that issue

@MattM Thank you for the tips.

I tried them today and I like them. Really forces a snappy swing! Tried 16kg and 20kg, red band and blue band, a few different resistances by adjusting the stretch between the feet. There's definitely a sweet spot to be found, where you can get a good swing but the band snaps it back to the hinge quickly. Gets the heart rate up fast, makes you use the legs, glutes, and abs, and plank hard!

I'm thinking they might not be the a good corrective for poor swing form, but could be great for a student who has a solid 2H swing and wants to step it up a notch.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom