all posts post new thread

Simple and Sinister February or Leap into S&S

Brett Jones

StrongFirst Director of Education
Master Certified Instructor
Elite Certified Instructor
Beast Tamer
StrongFirst community,

Hopefully you all read today's newsletter and are ready for Simple and Sinister February—gotta take advantage of that extra day from the Leap year!

Simple and Sinister February = 29 days of perform 100 swings and 10 get-ups daily.

Guidelines for “Leap into S&S”:
  1. This is in addition to not in place of your “regularly scheduled training.”
  2. Use a weight 70-80% of your typical swing weight.
  3. Use 70-80% power and intensity.
  4. Set a baseline by performing a Timeless 10x10 with your working weight on February 1st.
  5. Vary the sets, reps, and sequence.
  6. Obey the StrongFirst stop signs.
  7. Go lighter as needed.
  8. Enjoy!

I test drove a session today of 32kg two-arm swings x 20 x 5 sets in 11 minutes and performed 3+3 get-ups before the IC and swing session and 2+2 get-ups after the swings (32kg).
So today was 20 min of Iron Cardio followed by the two-arm swings.

I will set my Timeless baseline on Thursday.

Who's in?

I'm in.
67 years old, working towards Timeless Simple currently with 24kg.
Tomorrow my be difficult as I am on the road early and then coaching at a hockey camp all day, but will try to fit it in.

10 Two hand swings and 1 TGU, ten times, alternating LH/RH on TGU. 16kg Bell. Timeless.

I'm going to take this as an opportunity to switch up my sets, reps and sequence this month and see what kind of fun I can have. I've been working on S&S since last year, starting with 16kg, now working with the 20kg for all sets. I'm not going to push for daily training, so perhaps I'll spend this month playing around with those other variables and then start working in the 24kg at the beginning of March. Sounds pretty good to me!

Baseline day 2/1/2024 (main working "sets" only—warm up and prep as usual)

36kg Iron Cardio x 30 sets in 15min.
rest 6+ min
32kg one-arm swing x 10 x 10 sets in 10:40
rest a couplel min
32kg get-up x 1 OTM x 10

Certianly felt the Iron Cario work prior to the S&S.
Here we go....

StrongFirst community,

Hopefully you all read today's newsletter and are ready for Simple and Sinister February—gotta take advantage of that extra day from the Leap year!

Simple and Sinister February = 29 days of perform 100 swings and 10 get-ups daily.

Guidelines for “Leap into S&S”:
  1. This is in addition to not in place of your “regularly scheduled training.”
  2. Use a weight 70-80% of your typical swing weight.
  3. Use 70-80% power and intensity.
  4. Set a baseline by performing a Timeless 10x10 with your working weight on February 1st.
  5. Vary the sets, reps, and sequence.
  6. Obey the StrongFirst stop signs.
  7. Go lighter as needed.
  8. Enjoy!

I test drove a session today of 32kg two-arm swings x 20 x 5 sets in 11 minutes and performed 3+3 get-ups before the IC and swing session and 2+2 get-ups after the swings (32kg).
So today was 20 min of Iron Cardio followed by the two-arm swings.

I will set my Timeless baseline on Thursday.

Who's in?
I’m in as much as much as I am capable of at present. I want to do this in preparation for working through the modules. 02.01.24 I did 100 swings 10x10 EMOM with a 50lb Kettlebell. I am having trouble with the getups due to an old shoulder injury. My goal is to reach the 10 TGU per day with a 15lb Bell by month’s end. Will start modules soon.

I’m in as much as much as I am capable of at present. I want to do this in preparation for working through the modules. 02.01.24 I did 100 swings 10x10 EMOM with a 50lb Kettlebell. I am having trouble with the getups due to an old shoulder injury. My goal is to reach the 10 TGU per day with a 15lb Bell by month’s end. Will start modules soon.
I’m not sure where to report in for challenge progress.
02.02.24 100 swings 10x10 EMOM 50lb bell 1 TGU 15lb bell each side.

Steven,

I'll be posting my session here so this works I think.

Started February off with a 10x10 session pre breakfast with the 20k. OTM 2H, L, R repeat.
1+1 x5 getups roughly OTM (10 breaths rest)

Been a long time since I've done 10x10 swings. Definitely some congestion around rep 7/8 starting set 7. Basically what I remember was standard in the past.
Getups felt nice and not too shaky (inner thighs ) after the swings .

2/2/24
5x20 swings at 11 am.
About an hour later did the getups . 1,2,2

Back
Top Bottom