all posts post new thread

Strengthen legs, especially after patella luxation

Adl123

Level 3 Valued Member
Hey guys, I hope you're all doing well.

Ive already dislocated the kneecap on my right leg twice - it was a while ago.

At first I could hardly use my right leg t was too weak. Now thats settled down, I also worked on a construction site where we had to constantly walk up and down with weights - I had no choice but to make it work.

If you touch both of my legs, you can clearly see the difference in muscle mass - in terms of strength anyway.

Otherwise everything works, I can also do squats - except that my legs get acidic incredibly quickly.

Now and then I have pain in my hips or they crack - because the distribution of BW is of course no longer optimal. Now I really don't know which training would be best for my legs and whether I should train one leg more than the other.

Thank u

Hey guys, I hope you're all doing well.

Ive already dislocated the kneecap on my right leg twice - it was a while ago.

At first I could hardly use my right leg t was too weak. Now thats settled down, I also worked on a construction site where we had to constantly walk up and down with weights - I had no choice but to make it work.

If you touch both of my legs, you can clearly see the difference in muscle mass - in terms of strength anyway.

Otherwise everything works, I can also do squats - except that my legs get acidic incredibly quickly.

Now and then I have pain in my hips or they crack - because the distribution of BW is of course no longer optimal. Now I really don't know which training would be best for my legs and whether I should train one leg more than the other.

Thank u
Have you seen a doc or physical therapist? Can you do squats or lunges? Do you have gait issues?

Have you seen a doc or physical therapist? Can you do squats or lunges? Do you have gait issues?
sorry, I didn't see that someone had replied. I went to the doctor, of course - even though I put my knee back in place the second time. I didn't go to physio, the exercises were for children - the time and work achieved much greater things. I can squat, even with weights. Just 2-3x10 squats cause severe muscle soreness in my legs. Lunges on the right leg are more difficult and I can't quite get down. I don't have any gait issues, except that I notice every now and then in my hips that the load is different.

cause severe muscle soreness in my legs
MUSCLE only? Sorry for being pedantic. But if it is muscle only and no pain, you have a clear winning option for strengthening the legs.
I can't quite get down
What do you mean by this? How long can you can in a lunge?
that the load is different
What do you mean by this? Are you saying after you walk/run/hike one side is more sore or gets tired first? Where are you talking about in your hips? Front of hip (hip flexor), outside of hip (glute med), main part of the butt (glute max)? Elsewhere?

MUSCLE only? Sorry for being pedantic. But if it is muscle only and no pain
Yea Muscle only. obviously I had long periods where I couldn't use my legs properly. that weakened them a lot and my stamina was gone. but they were never very strong

What do you mean by this? How long can you can in a lunge?
Are u asking how long ican be in that position ?

So without performing the movement it should work for a while, but I've never watched it closely.

What do you mean by this? Are you saying after you walk/run/hike one side is more sore or gets tired first? Where are you talking about in your hips? Front of hip (hip flexor), outside of hip (glute med), main part of the butt (glute max)? Elsewhere?
difficult to answer. When we once had to carry what felt like thousands of 40 kg sacks up and down stairs, I noticed that my right hip felt strange. It was as if the muscles in my leg were not cushioning the weight but were only supporting it by keeping the joints straight, while my left leg was working normally and taking on a bit more. I don't really have any pain, but it feels uncomfortable from time to time - when I'm sitting cross-legged and tense my bottom and push it up, it can crack.

These problems are less today, my legs are stronger than they were 3 months ago, for example

Addition: I can also do KB swings, my legs don't get tiredbut rather my stamina. I use a 20kg KB and do one-hand swings on both sides. I can't really judge whether the execution is correct, but then I get the worst muscle soreness of my life in my hamstrings.

Yea Muscle only. obviously I had long periods where I couldn't use my legs properly. that weakened them a lot and my stamina was gone. but they were never very strong
OK great! Then we have a great option for strengthing the legs: the old fashioned squat. What kind of weighted squats have you done pain free?
Are u asking how long ican be in that position ?

So without performing the movement it should work for a while, but I've never watched it closely.
Sorry, I meant how deep you can lunge, since you said you couldn't do a "complete" lunge but had to do some kind of partial. I'm trying to understand what this means.
difficult to answer. When we once had to carry what felt like thousands of 40 kg sacks up and down stairs, I noticed that my right hip felt strange. It was as if the muscles in my leg were not cushioning the weight but were only supporting it by keeping the joints straight, while my left leg was working normally and taking on a bit more. I don't really have any pain, but it feels uncomfortable from time to time - when I'm sitting cross-legged and tense my bottom and push it up, it can crack.
This sounds beyond me, more occupational therapist.
These problems are less today, my legs are stronger than they were 3 months ago, for example
That is good.
Addition: I can also do KB swings, my legs don't get tiredbut rather my stamina. I use a 20kg KB and do one-hand swings on both sides. I can't really judge whether the execution is correct, but then I get the worst muscle soreness of my life in my hamstrings.
Why can't you judge the execution is correct? You need coaching? Hamstring soreness and stamina are both fairly normal when getting into swings. If there is no pain, this would be another excellent option, especially with a bit of coaching. If you need coaching, I recommend filming from the side and posting on the forum for feedback.

So far for strengthening legs you have told us that squats and swings are acceptable movements to use for training your legs, although you may need some coaching.

What kind of weighted squats have you done pain free?
Maybe I should mention beforehand that I hardly train my legs because I'm very lazy. But if you ask me, I've done goblet squats every now and then, with these 20kg.

Sorry, I meant how deep you can lunge, since you said you couldn't do a "complete"
it depends on whether my right leg is forward or backward. But the crazy thing is that I only notice during the exercise how much weaker my right leg is in comparison - during normal squatting both legs work together synergistically.
I tried it again after a long time, it actually works. It just doesn't feel very safe but no pain or anything like that

Why can't you judge the execution is correct? You need coaching?
I only said that because I never had anyone who saw how i do it. My problem is that my lower back is also suffering from muscle soreness - as far as I know, that is a sign of incorrect execution of Swings

Regardless of that, I wonder whether these high rep exercises are actually effective - whether the KB swings, for example, stabilize the knee properly. And what do you think about knee tape or orthoses - are they able to offer some protection?

Maybe I should mention beforehand that I hardly train my legs because I'm very lazy. But if you ask me, I've done goblet squats every now and then, with these 20kg.
The good news then is that you have a very low bar to reach in order to strengthen your legs. Start incorporating some goblet squats with 20kg for a couple sets of 5 maybe twice a week and see how your knee feels.
it depends on whether my right leg is forward or backward. But the crazy thing is that I only notice during the exercise how much weaker my right leg is in comparison - during normal squatting both legs work together synergistically.
I tried it again after a long time, it actually works. It just doesn't feel very safe but no pain or anything like that
Well lunging is by no means NECESSARY to do, but it might be a good idea to do some unweighted lunges to start building the range of motion, confidence, and strength. Holding on to a ring or TRX handle in one hand, or in both, can help decrease the weight and stability demands further as you build into that. Adding a pad on top of the floor or a couple stacked plates can decrease the range of motion for your knee, and you can gradually remove plates until you just have the pad. Make sure you are not EVER "hitting" your knee to the ground - at most, gently kissing.
I only said that because I never had anyone who saw how i do it. My problem is that my lower back is also suffering from muscle soreness - as far as I know, that is a sign of incorrect execution of Swings
It can be, yes. Again, I recommend filming yourself doing a set of 5-10 from the side, and maybe even another set from the front or a quartering view and posting on the forum for some feedback.
Regardless of that, I wonder whether these high rep exercises are actually effective - whether the KB swings, for example, stabilize the knee properly. And what do you think about knee tape or orthoses - are they able to offer some protection?
Exercise will strengthen the muscles around the knee, which can increase the stability. Regarding tape or orthoses and their protective ability, I would suggest speaking with a sports physical therapist, or one that specializes in knee rehab.

Regarding tape or orthoses and their protective ability, I would suggest speaking with a sports physical therapist, or one that specializes in knee rehab.
I understand your caution in situations like these, where accidents or operations are involved, but it is very difficult to find a good physical therapist.

Here, they will only try to sell you an operation, uninteresting physiotherapy or something similar. One doctor even said that this was just my fate and there was nothing I could do - look, I have been doing hard work for years and regularly grappling with friends and has no problems (obviously I don't dare to try professional martial arts yet, but I plan to in the future). I was hoping that someone here had experience with orthoses etc.

Again, I recommend filming yourself doing a set of 5-10 from the side, and maybe even another set from the front or a quartering view and posting on the forum for some feedback.
Not a Bad Idea

I understand your caution in situations like these, where accidents or operations are involved, but it is very difficult to find a good physical therapist.
I was hoping that someone here had experience with orthoses etc.
My *personal* opinion is they are at best band aids. Despite the popularity of taping, I have not seen anything convincing that it actually helps by doing something and not just effecting psychology. Using it I have not felt any difference, although at one point I used it quite religiously on my shoulder. It did nothing for me.

I do not have experience with orthoses except for a type of soft knee brace that has had one strap (on top) or two (top and bottom) that a provider gave me well over a decade ago as I had some knee pain when running and they thought my quad was ... doing something that this brace would help? It didn't and it was super annoying.

So in general I would manipulate frequency and volume (how often and how much) to work around/prevent discomfort/pain.

I've had a couple knee surgeries but never a knee cap issue so no idea how any of that tracks for you. (Get it... tracks...)

Back
Top Bottom