all posts post new thread

The 2024 Deadlift Big Plates for Reps Challenge

He's saying he has a poverty deadlift, or an abnormally low deadlift relative to the rest of his abilities. You see that common in powerlifting - e.g. a poverty bench for someone who benches 225lbs but squats and pulls 400+.
OK. I don't understand the pejorative. Where is it written that one must be equally talented at or equally interested in improving all three lifts?

-S-

OK. I don't understand the pejorative. Where is it written that one must be equally talented at or equally interested in improving all three lifts?

-S-
We’re in agreement. I was explaining the term. I think it comes from a self esteem issue, so joking about a “poverty” lift takes the sting out a little when someone else goes “woah you only (lift) X lbs?! I thought you were strong!”

Time to go s.u.m.o

As an interesting aside, I was recently listening to the Dave Tate podcast with Jennifer Thompson as a guest. For anyone uninitiated Thompson is one of the greatest powerlifters of the day, and is especially good in the bench press. In any case, they talked shortly about the deadlift and Thompson mentioned she's seeing less and less sumo deadlifting. They wondered what it was about, if the negative talk on social media influenced it, and so on.

Personally, I think things like deadlift style popularity just swing like a pendulum. I'd also recommend every aspiring powerlifter to get proficient in both conventional and sumo and practice both regularly.

I’ve also found if a deadlift style goes stale, it’s helpful to train the other for a while. I’m more natural at conventional and my sumo stance is just outside my grip width.

Sometimes after long bouts of conventional, my sumo is improved more than conventional and vise versa. My heaviest lift between both styles are within 10 lbs of each other .

Back
Top Bottom