all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Thoughts on Dumbbell -> Kettlebell Grip Converters?

MajorTom76

Level 2 Valued Member
I am going to be traveling a lot this year and hotels usually have a limited range of kettlebells, if they have any at all. Can this dumbbell grip be a sufficient alternative to turn a dumbbell into a kettlebell?

I am going to be traveling a lot this year and hotels usually have a limited range of kettlebells, if they have any at all. Can this dumbbell grip be a sufficient alternative to turn a dumbbell into a kettlebell?

I've never used it.
But I would think it would be better to do exercises with dumbbells as opposed to trying to turn a dumbbell into a compromised kettlebell.

Just train withe dumbbells in a similar fashion. You can clean, press, squat, jerk, snatch, and swing with (single or dumbbell) dumbbells. It isn't the same exactly but close enough.

I have kept the Kettle Gryp in my suitcase off and on over the years, as I frequently find myself in dumbell-only hotel gyms.

They have limited but purposeful use. Where they shine is one arm swings, with the dumbell traveling parallel to your forward pointing feet. Excellent way to keep a swing/hinge movement greased.

Anything in the rack or overhead position is right out, as the design of these types of attachments doesn’t rest on your forearm comfortably.

Another route to look if you find yourself staring at dumbbells a lot trying to do StrongFirst type stuff is look at @Pavel Macek article on the Dumbell program minimum. Kind of a bastardization, but I took the two movements of that program minimum and used them according to the article “The Best All Around Training Method Ever.”

Thanks folks... I'll plan on using the grip for swings possibly but I'll plan a routine to use dumbbells in their normal form.

Mixed thoughts. I had one, but due to space clearance in between my short-ish legs, the adjustable dumbbell would bruise my inner legs unless I went really wide when swinging. Cleaning and snatching not an option, shape won't allow for them. Ok-ish for grinds if you find the correct placement

1. Learn the dumbbell swing proper: Hard Style Dumbbell Swing Tutorial [Free Video & .pdf Manual] - SIMPLEXSTRONG
2. Ad some cleans and presses with dumbbell - there are some minor (but key) differences between the kettlebell and dumbbell C&P, but for now, no worries.
3. Check out some dumbbell work samples here: https://www.instagram.com/stories/highlights/17965536724706079/ and articles here: dumbbell Archives - SIMPLEXSTRONG
4. Get ready for the release of the comprehensive StrongFirst dumbbell program minimum Enter the Dumbbell this year.

Back
Top Bottom