all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Two Handed Swing Improvement

HarryO

Level 1 Valued Member
After a session and great advice from the great @Mark Limbaga my swing has improved immensely in less than a week(according to him).

Still a long way to go and always looking for feedback.

Before- knees snapping not "standing tall' at top of swing.
After- trying to push ground away and stand tall. Pushing through the floor to eliminate knee snapping.

Thanks team.

According to me, too. Those are good swings and quite different from the earlier ones.

-S-
Take my advice with a grain of salt, as I'm no instructor. Looking heaps better.

It looks like you are doing what I did at the start, which is initiating the next rep before your backswing has finished, which causes the bell to "hit you in the butt". I'm sure Mark or Steve will chime in if it's unwarranted, but I found I really had to work on waiting for the backswing to finish before starting the next rep, or I end up with wrist and forearm issues from the extra grip required to arrest the movement.

As weird as it sounds, imagine your butt is a ball being pushed down into the water as the bell swings back, don't start the next rep until it has been pushed under and starts to "bob to the surface" again. That's what worked for me.

As weird as it sounds, imagine your butt is a ball being pushed down into the water as the bell swings back, don't start the next rep until it has been pushed under and starts to "bob to the surface" again. That's what worked for me.
very interesting imagery. i'll try it. not because I want to, but becuase its stuck in my head ROFL:p

well done, it's interesting that we think we are doing a swing correctly and when an expert looks at us form is not always good. I thought my swing was good until a Strongfirst instructor took me to task. All good stuff though

According to me, too. Those are good swings and quite different from the earlier ones.

-S-
I agree. But - the most interesting question is - would they auto-correct if you do them long enough, without intervention... Or - would they autocorrect after watching 3-4 different instructional videos.

This is off topic.
To the OP: thank you for posting and sharing . Good luck on your swings.

the most interesting question is - would they auto-correct if you do them long enough, without intervention... Or - would they autocorrect after watching 3-4 different instructional videos.
In my opinion/observation, no. People who aren't taught/coached/trained will almost always have some things they could change that would improve their swing, but they have to deliberately make those changes. The body doesn't figure it out. (As a side note, and maybe a counfounder... the swing is an inefficient movement, as Dan John pointed out. It's supposed to be. That's why it's effective as a training stimulus. The body figures out how to be efficient, which isn't always taking things in the direction we want to go. We want the swing to be a power-builder with good hardstyle form. THEN we want to find efficiency within that form.)

As for watching instructional videos -- some people are able to apply what they see, and some are not. The most effective way to get a good swing or any other exercise is to have a coach correcting your movement.

Good job @HarryO and @Mark Limbaga !

Back
Top Bottom