all posts post new thread

Nutrition Vegan body building

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
As a vegan who trains, there are a few staple items in my diet that I use specifically to support my training:
  1. Wholenut peanut butter (i.e. 100% peanuts, no salt, palm-oil, sugar etc.)
  2. Soy protein isolate (for shakes, typically mixed with banana, water and oats)
  3. Mixed seeds (ideally containing a good amount of Omega 3 fatty acids)
  4. Vitamin B12
As far as the rest is concerned, I tend to just eat a lot and try to keep my intake varied. My own diet is relatively carb-heavy but I seem to get enough of everything I need. Whenever I've found myself blaming my diet for a lack of progress, I've looked at it objectively and it almost always boils down to inefficient/insufficient training rather than a lack of protein or any other specific nutrient.

Unfortunately, I do not have an identical twin brother who follows the same training programme as me but consumes animal products so I have really no way of knowing whether or not I'd be better off with meat, eggs and dairy in my diet but, as long as I'm healthy and making progress, it really doesn't matter to me.

If anyone's super interested in veganism and bodybuilding, Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness has just about all of the information you could want on the topic, meal plans and all.

I'm not a vegan, but I use soy isolate in my protein shakes. I have reduced meat etc. a lot though.

Forgive me, but I have to ask... do you find it makes you really gassy, or is that just me? What brand do you use?
I use Finnish brands Fast and Leader. Their soy isolate is affordable. No breaking the wind and I have used to the natural cardboard taste also. :confused:I think I felt gassy with whey thou.

Hello,

Hemp or rice proteines can also help pretty well. I use them with no additional taste to mix them in plates.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Hello,

Marrow proteins can also be considered. This is always good to know various sources of proteins because they do not have the same digestibility.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Hello,

Soy has a less significant anabolic power than other proteines, due to its good digestibility.

25 to 30g a day could reduce heart disease. There is a debate about phyto-oestrogene, which is supposed to reduce testosterone rate for men. However, recent studies tend to demonstrate that phyto-oestrogene have a far less significant action on testosterone than natural oestrogene.

Kind regards,

Pet'

There is a debate about phyto-oestrogene, which is supposed to reduce testosterone rate for men. However, recent studies tend to demonstrate that phyto-oestrogene have a far less significant action on testosterone than natural oestrogene.
Yes, what I've read that Phytoestrogen exists only in raw soy. Modernly manufactured soy isolate protein can be safely used. I have used soy a lot in the past, when it was more common.

Hello,

@masa
Yes, I tend to eat some jerky (so beef) or soy steak when I break my fast, to avoid being tired and improve recovery. I've never experienced nothing with that. Soy steak is easy to cook in advance and has a good satiety too. Plus, very low carbs and has a little fat (but not that much). A good food so !

@Pavel Macek
I tend to eat in function of my training. If I do not train, I tend to eat less simply because I am less hungry. Otherwise, I listen to my body. If during 2 or 3 days, it only wants veggies, I'll give it only veggies for instance.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Wholenut peanut butter (i.e. 100% peanuts, no salt, palm-oil, sugar etc.)
Shopping for peanut butter at the local Whole Foods is an adventure. In their house, 365 brand, they has it no salt but sweetened, no sugar but salted, and finally no salt, no sugar added, just peanuts. I get the "just peanuts" one and find it makes a great snack.

-S-

Hello,

A buckwheat (for a reduced glycemia impact) cracker and peanut burger, then you are good for warrior dieting or a long / intense training !

Kind regards,

Pet'

Is there a reason why you are so picky about the exact quality of the peanut butter? I like the stuff myself, but I've never worried if there's a bit of extra salt or oil in there. The amounts of peanut butter I manage to consume are so meager, I don't really get any significant amounts of salt or trans fats or anything bad from it. I reckon the oil may actually be good for the texture, especially in larger jars.

Personally I don't mind if there is a bit of salt. But I draw the line there. For me it is all aligned with eating the most minimally processed food I can.

Is there a reason why you are so picky about the exact quality of the peanut butter?
I don't know if that's directed to me, but I buy the peanut butter I like to eat. I also homemake almond butter - my own "blend" with a small amount of peanuts and cashews in it - and I don't like salt or sugar in that, either. And both get consumed in pretty decent quantities in our house because both are the snack food of choice - just open the jar and grab a spoonful. I'd say we go through a jar of each faster than once a week here.

-S-

Steve, the question was a general one.

I would presume that the taste would be the biggest factor in the choice. Still, I have heard of some people avoiding palm oil, for example, which can be frequently found from such products. However, I do not try to avoid such meager amounts, if at all.

I've bought some 1kg jars of pure peanut butter and they can be a chore to stir if they're not eaten regularly. Maybe if I went through one a week, it could be easier to handle.

I've never tried making my own. I doubt I could make it cheaper, and the ready made stuff is nice to my tastebuds already.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom