all posts post new thread

Kettlebell What should I be looking at for an untrained 30 yo. woman?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
I think the couples dynamic varies, e.g., my wife and I have worked together, sometimes full-time, for most of our lives together. I help her figure out her exercise, give feedback sometimes but mostly only when asked. It works for us.

It will be interesting for you and your wife both to decide if your focus is on diet or exercise or both. One approach would be simply to focus on diet and on walking for a while - it can be difficult to do everything at once. Another approach would be S & S and let everything else take a back seat - walking is wonderful but it doesn't fit everyone's lifestyle, and speaking for myself, if I can't get outside and do it and have it be relaxed, I'd rather not do it - no treadmill and no "power" walking for me.

Best of luck to you both.

-S-

Small incremental diet changes at first. Small positive changes every few weeks, to be sure you are making long lasting, meaningful change.

Definitely walking. For weight loss I like to walk first thing in the morning in a fasted state, with just black coffee or warm water. Walking after a meal is benificial for digestion and metabolism.

Start light stretching or beginner yoga. I started with a discover yoga class, and felt a little awkward at first, but really enjoy it. Find a class, and instructor that fits you. I found a really great woman who was also a personal trainer who understood my background and what I wanted from yoga. Another class I loved was "yoga for stiff men". I was cool to practice with room full of men where you could be yourself and we could all joke and give each other the gears. As they say.

Revisiting this topic. My wife had a falling out with her KB video and asked me to put together a more simple program. I'd like to get her doing TGU, windmill etc, but am keeping it as simple in terms of learned technique.

Warm-up
Swings two hand 40-50 reps
- rest 10 breaths
Press (eventually to be press into a reverse lunge) 12 reps
- rest 10 breaths
Goblet squat 15 reps
- rest 10
One arm row 15 reps
-rest
Glute bridge 15 reps

repeat once, stretch and warm down

Going well so far, she has safe form on the swings and Goblet squat.

Hello,

My girlfriend does not want to do kettlebell with me ah ah.

One arm row is a pretty technical move but very good for stance and core. Very good idea !

Kind regards,

Pet'

Warm-up
Swings two hand 40-50 reps
- rest 10 breaths
Press (eventually to be press into a reverse lunge) 12 reps
- rest 10 breaths
Goblet squat 15 reps
- rest 10
One arm row 15 reps
-rest
Glute bridge 15 reps

Does this mean 40-50 swings, continuous? What weight?
Even with press, I'm thinking 3 sets of 5 would be better than 12 reps. Same with goblet squats and rows.

Does this mean 40-50 swings, continuous? What weight?
Even with press, I'm thinking 3 sets of 5 would be better than 12 reps. Same with goblet squats and rows.

This with a 15 lb KB. The process is just starting. I expect her to jump to a 20 or 25lb fairly quickly if she keeps with it, and if the weights go up, the reps will come down. The first session was with a 10 or 20 (didn't have my 15 at home), the 10 was too light, the 20 too heavy, so she wound up using the 10 for everything but the swings. Honestly at that weight she could have done more reps, but her form needs to gel first.

Whole thing takes about 25 minutes, maybe 30 total. She added some crunches as active recovery between exercises on the second go-around. She does not have any sort of natural curiosity or inclination to train KBs, but is really trying to find a workout she can do at home that is effective and takes up little time or space.

Frankly I'm delighted her form needs so little correcting. I've only shown her the basics on one or two other occasions and she followed her Andrea DuCane video a handful of times.

My wife has residual injury after a bad rock climbing accident 2 years ago. She was wheelchair bound for a year and limped around for another year. So after a couple of years, she was in rough shape.

Despite this, I got her to do a watered down S&S. Mostly KB Deadlifts.

What REALLY works her is the unweighted TGUs. Getting up to 5 sets unweighted was an accomplishment. It's easy to take getting up from the ground for granted.

If you do long and slow unweighted TGUs, you basically create a pseudo-yoga class.

I agree with much of what's been stated here. Definitely get her medically cleared for training and then stick to fundamental movements: pull, push, hinge, squat etc in volume and intensity she can handle. Definitely do some asymmetrical stuff like TGUs, 1-legged DLs and some bent press progression material (arm bar, bent arm bar, etc) to address imbalances that are certain to be there.

Most important work on her posture. If she has a desk job, have her get a good chair that takes the load off her lower back, re-mobilize her T-spine and shoulders and she'll thank you every day.

Have a good one!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom