all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Why most submaximal sets should be like the hardstyle plank: a theory

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

guardian7

Level 6 Valued Member
I was thinking the other day about how to do calf raises. This got me thinking about a number of things I have read and the different types of training I do, particularly with isometrics and the hardstyle plank, as well as my new effort to do an L-sit.

Here is the theory. I invite anyone to poke holes in it or those with a better science background to point out if it is wrong. It is a bit long. Skip to the THEORY and PRACTICE parts if you just want the conclusion.

ASSUMPTIONS

1. Both muscle growth and strength occur as the result of muscle contraction. The greatest contraction recruits the most muscle fibre.

2. Muscles are limited in the amount they can maximally contract. This is limited by the body's ATP systems, which are involved in both energy and muscle contration.

Understanding Why "Less Is More" with Anti-Glycolytic Training | StrongFirst

3. Old time strongmen (muscle control), bodybuilders (posing, don't laugh this is really demanding like hardstyle planking your whole body, try it), and traditional martial artists have used isometrics, which is a contraction of various intensities ranging from maximal to endurance effectively for a long time.

4. Some theory supports the idea that muscle strength is mainly about contraction. One school of thought advises max speed and contraction on all lifts regardless of real bar speed (Hatfield?). Indeed SF is recently promoting the velocity tool to test bar and swing speed. Chad Waterbury has a great article on how pushups should be done like SF swings: max effort repeats of about ten, stop when you slow down. We can interpret this as reduction of maximal contraction speed. The higher the intensity the greater the need for contraction. However, many bodybuilders including Arnold himself swear by pausing and contracting hard when doing bicep curls and calf raises to promote mind-muscle connection as a key to growth. However, this is normally done for 2-3 seconds only, why not more.

5. Contraction is the focus of many common lifts including StrongFirst staples such as the hardstyle plank and the hanging arm raise option for pullup progression. Indeed, the hardstyle plank is one of the most effective exercises I have ever encountered.

6. The ability to alternately produce high levels of contraction followed by relaxation is a measure of elite competence across motor skills: Gymnasts, martial artists, KB swings, powerlifting, one arm pushups and many other skills depend on the ability to create tension and often relaxation or in the case of striking Contraction (to initiate movement)-relaxation (for power)-contraction (at the latest possible point of striking (what KIME in karate really means). However, isn't tension just contraction?

7. Some recent StrongFirst protocols are related to short sets of maximal effort, interspaced with short rests to recharge ATP and avoid glycotic training.

8. Apparently there is a Russian training method of super-super slow sets of squats. Pavel has an article on this about a famous Russian dancer who did a two minute squat or something from Thai? dance.

9. It is possible to gain strength with unweighted contraction. Try max effort bicep contractions. It is much harder than you would think. Muscle control used to be a part of physical culture and directly praticed.

THEORY

We should directly train maximal contraction. This means that many exercises should have a protocol the same as a hardstly plank. A MAXIMAL contraction for roughly 6-9 seconds, the limit of ATP and well what most people can maintain anyway.

Therefore, a standing calf raise should be sets of holds with a contraction at the top of about 6-9 seconds, what I will call maximal contracted set (MCS) hereafter. Rest about 30 seconds or so for ATP to recharge and then repeat.

PRACTICE

- BU press holds should be MCS.
- Pullups sticking points, particularly points like the transition to the muscle up could be holds.
- Pushups could also be done more like Yoga chaturanga No, Chaturanga is Not a Pushup—Here’s Why - Sonima
- Pushup holds or hollow holds should be MCS repeat reps more like hardstyle planks.
- Bodyweight squat could be done at a sticking point for MCS repeats.
- Some weighted assistance exercises should incorporate MCS, like bicep curls.
- Hanging from a bar could be done with attention to shoulder packing and full body tension for MCS repeats.
- L-sits could be done in MCS repeats rather than 20-30 second holds.
- This method is already used for planks. Why not other movements? It is clearly effective.
- press could be thought of as a max contraction, which it often is when going for a one rep PR, but intense contraction can be done without high levels of intensity. A swing is always done the same regardless of the weight. We can't hold the top position of a swing or it could be a candidate for this method. max contract and hold.

etc. Many possibilities that I have not thought through.

I tried this for calf raises. It is intense. It feels like it gets deeper in the muscle belly. The downside is increased soreness. Total reps have to be greatly reduced but it feels so much more effective than high rep work.

This would not replace all other types of protocols because strength endurance, cardio etc. needs to be trained with different ATP systems and therefore different protocols.

This does not apply to powerlifts of higher than 85% intensity work because it is too hard or unsafe.

Does this make theoretical and practical sense? Thoughts? Just a theory at this point to test out.

Warning: it is simple but not easy.

I was thinking the other day about how to do calf raises. This got me thinking about a number of things I have read and the different types of training I do, particularly with isometrics and the hardstyle plank, as well as my new effort to do an L-sit.

Here is the theory. I invite anyone to poke holes in it or those with a better science background to point out if it is wrong. It is a bit long. Skip to the THEORY and PRACTICE parts if you just want the conclusion.

ASSUMPTIONS

1. Both muscle growth and strength occur as the result of muscle contraction. The greatest contraction recruits the most muscle fibre.

2. Muscles are limited in the amount they can maximally contract. This is limited by the body's ATP systems, which are involved in both energy and muscle contration.

Understanding Why "Less Is More" with Anti-Glycolytic Training | StrongFirst

3. Old time strongmen (muscle control), bodybuilders (posing, don't laugh this is really demanding like hardstyle planking your whole body, try it), and traditional martial artists have used isometrics, which is a contraction of various intensities ranging from maximal to endurance effectively for a long time.

4. Some theory supports the idea that muscle strength is mainly about contraction. One school of thought advises max speed and contraction on all lifts regardless of real bar speed (Hatfield?). Indeed SF is recently promoting the velocity tool to test bar and swing speed. Chad Waterbury has a great article on how pushups should be done like SF swings: max effort repeats of about ten, stop when you slow down. We can interpret this as reduction of maximal contraction speed. The higher the intensity the greater the need for contraction. However, many bodybuilders including Arnold himself swear by pausing and contracting hard when doing bicep curls and calf raises to promote mind-muscle connection as a key to growth. However, this is normally done for 2-3 seconds only, why not more.

5. Contraction is the focus of many common lifts including StrongFirst staples such as the hardstyle plank and the hanging arm raise option for pullup progression. Indeed, the hardstyle plank is one of the most effective exercises I have ever encountered.

6. The ability to alternately produce high levels of contraction followed by relaxation is a measure of elite competence across motor skills: Gymnasts, martial artists, KB swings, powerlifting, one arm pushups and many other skills depend on the ability to create tension and often relaxation or in the case of striking Contraction (to initiate movement)-relaxation (for power)-contraction (at the latest possible point of striking (what KIME in karate really means). However, isn't tension just contraction?

7. Some recent StrongFirst protocols are related to short sets of maximal effort, interspaced with short rests to recharge ATP and avoid glycotic training.

8. Apparently there is a Russian training method of super-super slow sets of squats. Pavel has an article on this about a famous Russian dancer who did a two minute squat or something from Thai? dance.

9. It is possible to gain strength with unweighted contraction. Try max effort bicep contractions. It is much harder than you would think. Muscle control used to be a part of physical culture and directly praticed.

THEORY

We should directly train maximal contraction. This means that many exercises should have a protocol the same as a hardstly plank. A MAXIMAL contraction for roughly 6-9 seconds, the limit of ATP and well what most people can maintain anyway.

Therefore, a standing calf raise should be sets of holds with a contraction at the top of about 6-9 seconds, what I will call maximal contracted set (MCS) hereafter. Rest about 30 seconds or so for ATP to recharge and then repeat.

PRACTICE

- BU press holds should be MCS.
- Pullups sticking points, particularly points like the transition to the muscle up could be holds.
- Pushups could also be done more like Yoga chaturanga No, Chaturanga is Not a Pushup—Here’s Why - Sonima
- Pushup holds or hollow holds should be MCS repeat reps more like hardstyle planks.
- Bodyweight squat could be done at a sticking point for MCS repeats.
- Some weighted assistance exercises should incorporate MCS, like bicep curls.
- Hanging from a bar could be done with attention to shoulder packing and full body tension for MCS repeats.
- L-sits could be done in MCS repeats rather than 20-30 second holds.
- This method is already used for planks. Why not other movements? It is clearly effective.
- press could be thought of as a max contraction, which it often is when going for a one rep PR, but intense contraction can be done without high levels of intensity. A swing is always done the same regardless of the weight. We can't hold the top position of a swing or it could be a candidate for this method. max contract and hold.

etc. Many possibilities that I have not thought through.

I tried this for calf raises. It is intense. It feels like it gets deeper in the muscle belly. The downside is increased soreness. Total reps have to be greatly reduced but it feels so much more effective than high rep work.

This would not replace all other types of protocols because strength endurance, cardio etc. needs to be trained with different ATP systems and therefore different protocols.

This does not apply to powerlifts of higher than 85% intensity work because it is too hard or unsafe.

Does this make theoretical and practical sense? Thoughts? Just a theory at this point to test out.

Warning: it is simple but not easy.

You will find this method helps a lot for sticking points, up to a point. An alternative method is to apply some form of overcoming Iso and use a true maximum voluntary contraction, rather than (if I'm interpreting this correctly) a Timed Static Contraction - contraction force is limited by available resistance or ROM.

There is some discussion re the best muscle length to train iso, longer lengths produced better results in some studies but not others. A general thought is you get best results somewhere in the midrange, not fully shortened and not stretched.

Some muscles respond better to this than others, though all seem to answer to some extent.

The TUT is a bit of wildcard when it comes to isometrics. Short, intense iso improves...expression of short intense iso (speed), longer exertions help with longer exertions. One thing that is very interesting is that iso holds of longer duration tend to improve muscle strength along longer portions of ROM, shorter holds strengthen more in the range of the actual effort.

Random thoughts:
There is a difference in mental activation when doing iso compared to an effort that produces a movement, especially if sustained long enough that one has to breathe continuously. More than one study of different strength strategies showed little or no change in isometric strength before and after even though subjects improved notably in their lifts, presumably there is something a little different about iso exertion.

In the past I've done variations of Iso that were more isotonic in that I was using opposing limbs to provide resistance to cross body push and pull while jogging - these were performed in repeats (sets) with number and rest period a variable based on intensity. I don't think my hand speed was ever faster than during this period, though I was using a lot of variety in my training at the time and can't say for sure what was most responsible.

Am currently using Iso as my primary means of resistance (mostly to rehab a stubborn case of golfer's elbow), so your thread is very interesting to me and I'm curious what else you learn by doing these. My application is quite a bit different from what you are using, though still isometric.

For upper body I am using multiple positions with a longish exhale (approx 5 seconds) at each station, inhale as I move to the next. The movement patterns use three positions of opposing force, one all the way contracted/extended in one direction, one in the midpoint, and one extended/contracted in the other direction x 2 repeats (8 breaths = 40 seconds). I may reduce the TUT as I go.

For squat and DL I use three positions with one at the bottom, middle and top, same strategy but the exertion only lasts approx 20 seconds. For these the resistance is absolute, am not working against an opposing limb.

I try to maintain MVC throughout but redouble my efforts on each exhale. These are extremely difficult mentally! have not noticed much soreness, a bit from hitting a different movement pattern but nothing too crazy.

One thing I am noticing is when I do my HIIT on off days, I swell up more than on days when I'm doing my Iso - kind of a strange feeling for 13-15 minutes of work. It didn't really have that effect when my primary resistance was sandbags.

Again I only recently began doing this, so not sure how it will play out over time, am committed to 8 weeks or at least till my elbow is 100%. I can't wait to test what sort of carry-over this will produce.

Very interesting thoughts..
I may have another bit of something to add to the puzzle, we're thinking (if I'm correct) about the physical aspects of muscle control in terms of the biological and neurological stimulation.
One experience I have from the past is in the MA training setting, I had a groin injury and couldn't practice forms (kata) for 2 weeks before a belt testing so I decided to run through my forms daily in my mind, watching myself perform flawlessly with as much detail as I could muster. This actually is quite a bit of work.

When test day came I did extremely well and my instructor commented on my forms, he said it looks like you've been practicing alot on your own, I just smiled and said yes, yes I have..

I've also used this method for improving kettlebell technique. Perhaps some of this comes into play along with points in the OP.

You will find this method helps a lot for sticking points, up to a point. An alternative method is to apply some form of overcoming Iso and use a true maximum voluntary contraction, rather than (if I'm interpreting this correctly) a Timed Static Contraction - contraction force is limited by available resistance or ROM.

There is some discussion re the best muscle length to train iso, longer lengths produced better results in some studies but not others. A general thought is you get best results somewhere in the midrange, not fully shortened and not stretched.

Some muscles respond better to this than others, though all seem to answer to some extent.

The TUT is a bit of wildcard when it comes to isometrics. Short, intense iso improves...expression of short intense iso (speed), longer exertions help with longer exertions. One thing that is very interesting is that iso holds of longer duration tend to improve muscle strength along longer portions of ROM, shorter holds strengthen more in the range of the actual effort.

Random thoughts:
There is a difference in mental activation when doing iso compared to an effort that produces a movement, especially if sustained long enough that one has to breathe continuously. More than one study of different strength strategies showed little or no change in isometric strength before and after even though subjects improved notably in their lifts, presumably there is something a little different about iso exertion.

In the past I've done variations of Iso that were more isotonic in that I was using opposing limbs to provide resistance to cross body push and pull while jogging - these were performed in repeats (sets) with number and rest period a variable based on intensity. I don't think my hand speed was ever faster than during this period, though I was using a lot of variety in my training at the time and can't say for sure what was most responsible.

Am currently using Iso as my primary means of resistance (mostly to rehab a stubborn case of golfer's elbow), so your thread is very interesting to me and I'm curious what else you learn by doing these. My application is quite a bit different from what you are using, though still isometric.

For upper body I am using multiple positions with a longish exhale (approx 5 seconds) at each station, inhale as I move to the next. The movement patterns use three positions of opposing force, one all the way contracted/extended in one direction, one in the midpoint, and one extended/contracted in the other direction x 2 repeats (8 breaths = 40 seconds). I may reduce the TUT as I go.

For squat and DL I use three positions with one at the bottom, middle and top, same strategy but the exertion only lasts approx 20 seconds. For these the resistance is absolute, am not working against an opposing limb.

I try to maintain MVC throughout but redouble my efforts on each exhale. These are extremely difficult mentally! have not noticed much soreness, a bit from hitting a different movement pattern but nothing too crazy.

One thing I am noticing is when I do my HIIT on off days, I swell up more than on days when I'm doing my Iso - kind of a strange feeling for 13-15 minutes of work. It didn't really have that effect when my primary resistance was sandbags.

Again I only recently began doing this, so not sure how it will play out over time, am committed to 8 weeks or at least till my elbow is 100%. I can't wait to test what sort of carry-over this will produce.

I think ISO training deserves more thought and I am interested by how you are doing paused reps for bodyweight. It seems to be good for the tendons. Like horse stance in kung fu.

You are right. I shouldn't mix up iso and movements in my thinking. It would apply to contractions with weight in a certain pause position like a bicep curl at the peak.

TUT is definately complex. There is no consensus. Longer TUT may have more of a hypertrophy effect like super slow squats (I have only read this on T-nation, so not the best source).

Yes, training at a sticking point may not generalize to the entire ROM but probably worth it. Even partial squats may help the frail or injured we agreed before.

Very interesting thoughts..
I may have another bit of something to add to the puzzle, we're thinking (if I'm correct) about the physical aspects of muscle control in terms of the biological and neurological stimulation.
One experience I have from the past is in the MA training setting, I had a groin injury and couldn't practice forms (kata) for 2 weeks before a belt testing so I decided to run through my forms daily in my mind, watching myself perform flawlessly with as much detail as I could muster. This actually is quite a bit of work.

When test day came I did extremely well and my instructor commented on my forms, he said it looks like you've been practicing alot on your own, I just smiled and said yes, yes I have..

I've also used this method for improving kettlebell technique. Perhaps some of this comes into play along with points in the OP.

Your intuition is right. This has been validated in research, and visualization is commonly used in elite performance. You are right, the CNS is complex and we can improve performance of motor skills simply by mental rehearsal. There is a lot going on besides just muscle. The endocrine or hormonal system has a lot to do with it too. A young guy asked me about exercise the other day and I told him to do squats as well if he wanted to increase his biceps. He looked at me strangely before I explained.

I wished I knew what I know now when I was his age. Damn the missed opportunities!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom