all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed 10x10 Protocol

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Jaime Sanabria

Level 2 Valued Member
In Q&D, Pavel mentions the 10x10 protocol (10 power reps on a 3 minute interval for 10 rounds). He mentions it as the sort of thing his friend Victor would do with stair sprints and pushups, as well as the Bulgarian gymnastics coach Ivan Ivanov who would do 100 daily power reps. However, he says that it can be "improved upon" and thus comes to the winning solution of 5/4 and 10/2 reps with the eventual rest periods as we know it.

Would there ever be a time to do straight 10x10? If so, what exercises would you do? Would it be truly daily (or nearly everyday)? Would you switch up exercises each time you do it or stick with one the whole time? I appreciate any help!

Welcome @Jaime Sanabria
If you take a look at the "Up the Volume, Kill the Variability" chapter, you will find your answer: It can deliver hypertrophy and might be a nice change of pace.

Furthermore, some folks here on the forum have reported that this 015 format is easier than 033 or 044 with a heavier bell - so you could use it as a break-in plan (4-6 weeks for example with a heavier bell).

And it might be superior for pure power production (possibly less mitchondria development and thus less endurance benefits), especially as a sort of assistance exercise (for example for Deadlifts or heavy Snatches). See this nice post by Tim Almond:

033 and 044 seem to deliver a wider range of benefits in less time which might be why Pavel favors them.

Thank you! That makes sense, so you would recommend sticking with the same exercises (swings+pushups, snatches) and doing it 3x/week?

Thank you! That makes sense, so you would recommend sticking with the same exercises (swings+pushups, snatches) and doing it 3x/week?
^sorry, I didn't mean to ask the second question, the book says start with 3x per week and work up to 4-5. The exercise question still concerns me, though

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom