all posts post new thread

Kettlebell 24kg Kettlebell Snatch - Video for critique

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
here is my try at incorporating the above feedback.

any and all comments are welcome.

This was still taxing and stressed my lower back more than I'm accustomed to.
I did notice some fatigue between sets.
Although, after a little walking and recovery, my back feels more or less the same as yesterday or the day before.

Right at the bottom of your drop you are squatting and dropping your rump, which takes tension out of your hams and glutes, losing some of the loading/pulling back the bow affect of the hips. Push your hips back and keep your femurs taller instead. The bell will drop back a bit, not down. Much easier.

A bit more pendulum.

Last edited:
Notice the leg and torso angles. Yes, I know it's GS with a bag. Still.

During the drop, would you recommend a more direct approach as well?

Your example is much less rotund than myself and I find it quite difficult to catch the weight in my hips even dropping from the rack. If I let the weight fall without pushing it down, I find myself catching the weight in front of me, adding undue stress in the lower back, and I tend to catch the weight going straight down into a squat, instead of back like loading back up for a one hand swing.

During the drop, would you recommend a more direct approach as well?

Your example is much less rotund than myself and I find it quite difficult to catch the weight in my hips even dropping from the rack. If I let the weight fall without pushing it down, I find myself catching the weight in front of me, adding undue stress in the lower back, and I tend to catch the weight going straight down into a squat, instead of back like loading back up for a one hand swing.
Hard to say without seeing what you're doing, and not sure what you mean by pushing it down since at the top I relax my grip and let gravity do the work while keeping the bell close to my body and then hinging at last 1/3 second, your arm and bell will follow the hips, which is a stronger position and easier on the low back.

The gal has another vid, 5 min. snatching a 24, 113 reps, age 32, weighs a buck 25.
Many excellent cues contained within.

Upload a vid and we'll take a look.

Today - after about a week off - I bit off more than I intended to chew - lost my senses and snatched the 32kg bell for 5x5 each arm, every 90s, and then swung the bell for 5x5 (each arm) and almost forgot to film the whole thing, due to my fatigue and recovery. next time I work this heavy I'll need to take it up to 2 or 3 minutes per set. it's a lot of work.

I'll be back to working with earlier comments in this thread - and the 24kg bell in the next session.

I did manage to harvest one video of L & R snatches & swings for 4 videos today.
I do not, however, remember which sets these were from today's session.

Again any and all comments are welcome.

Last edited:
Today - after about a week off - I bit off more than I intended to chew - lost my senses and snatched the 32kg bell for 5x5 each arm, every 90s, and then swung the bell for 5x5 (each arm) and almost forgot to film the whole thing, due to my fatigue and recovery. next time I work this heavy I'll need to take it up to 2 or 3 minutes per set. it's a lot of work.

I'll be back to working with earlier comments in this thread - and the 24kg bell in the next session.

I did manage to harvest one video of L & R snatches & swings for 4 videos today.
I do not, however, remember which sets these were from today's session.

Again any and all comments are welcome.

I think the heavy bell forced you to dial in your timing...

Now apply that to the 24 and watch great things unfold

First off, great work to this point, new obstacles ahead, your attitude for learning and looking for ways to improve is fantastic. Not sure that I've read this in the comments yet, but I see that your arc is too wide on the way up and the bell flops over your hand instead of your hand slipping through. Not going to hurt you too much with a 24kg at your size, but it limits your ability to move up in weight efficiently. From my perspective we should be sliding our bell up our body, the same way you would snatch a barbell. the closer to your body you can keep the bell on the way up, the more power you are transferring from your hip drive to direct the bell upward rather than out and up - it makes a big difference as the weights climb - which is noticeable as you attempt the 32kg bell and it turns into more of a press then a snatch. Before you snatch with the bell do a few empty handed reps and feel your arm lead your hand straight up your body as you squeeze your glutes tight. This motion will help you alleviate low back pain as you tire and move up in weight more effectively. Best of luck on your strength journey.

I agree with Mark, your form and timing are great with the 32. The 24 looks a bit light. Great work.

So, I was just re-watching the videos I took of today's session.

one set of L/R was as wide as the width of the inside edge of my heel well outside the width of the outside of my shoulders, more like a sumo stance
The other set of L/R was as narrow as trying to line up my heels underneath my hips for a nice jogging stance.

I have a few thoughts:

• I can barely see the difference in stance at this angle of filming.
  • I'm not competing, and I'm just trying to get stronger.
  • As @Anna C remarks: this probably doesn't matter too much; one way or the other.
  • As @Don Fairbanks observed in earlier sets - there's a lot of Squattiness in the bottom of my snatch.
    • From what I can see - I think I'm observing less knee flexion, today in the wide stance.
    • I think one of the "problems" was how deep the squattiness of my earlier snatches was.
    • I think what I've learned is that if there's some competition between whether the Knees or the Hips are the prime movers in the snatch, then the Hips must win. (even though both may participate given the athletic nature of the bottom stance in the hike position)
  • As @Brett Jones says Use the stance that suits you
    • as I think I'm seeing in the video taken today, the width of the stance has a modulating effect on the exercise; not night and day
    • I don't think this sound advice includes allowing the knees to take up the lion's share of the work, even though, apparently, I can.
    • also, these are two reasons I'll continue with the wider stance
      • my belly doesn't get in the way of my low back staying neutral
      • the kettlebell handle doesn't ding my knees, despite my best efforts to miss hitting myself today.

One of the things I liked concentrating on was trying to get the hike as far rearward as possible, and I noticed a sense of high amounts of pressure on the hand holding the bell.
Seeking maintenance of that pressure seemed to help keep the hike back at the bottom of the motion.

P.S.

Again, thanks to all for the input and for taking the time to review.

and for everyone else: when in doubt, film yourself for review. I couldn't see any of the stuff I'm remarking about now - and I didn't really sense it either.

I can all but guarantee, you'll learn and improve every time you do.

Great observations in your post!

Latest video looks really good to me. Careful not to let the working shoulder dip too much lower than the non-working shoulder in the hinge. Overall looks very snappy, effective, nice arc, good technique.

Great observations in your post!

Latest video looks really good to me. Careful not to let the working shoulder dip too much lower than the non-working shoulder in the hinge. Overall looks very snappy, effective, nice arc, good technique.
Thank you @Anna C
I'm glad.

I will say about the canted shoulders at the bottom come from some experimental pendulum reps designed to mimic the motions I think I see in girevoy style snatches.

In trying those girevoy reps out I noticed that it helped with tightening up the weld between my arm and torso, and got the bell higher in the hike.

In light of this, my wife remarked that I have very broad shoulders. And I balked , we've been together for decades, you aren't in the habit of complimenting me on my shoulders.

Screenshot_20221118-200342__02.jpg

She took this picture to prove it. And I was thinking about the shoulder drop. I think the shoulder geometry may warrant a bit of compromise in the shoulders to help tuck that bell up as high as it can get in the hike. I notice the bell was not as high off the ground while my shoulders were more perfectly square up to the hips.

My forearm was in contact with my inner thigh but somewhere lower towards my knee, when my shoulders were more perfectly square with my hips.

So, all that to say, it's something I've thought about. And as has come up here, given where I am, and my raw GPP intentions, it may not be worth a hill of beans either way.

I think I'll look to make sure that whatever amount of dip the working shoulder has, that it is in the midst of a stable strong neutral spine, a packed shoulder, and a good arm to torso weld. Helping to get the bell hiked up nice and high to set up the next rep for success.

Good thoughts.... and no major disagreement here. I haven't extensively analyzed it, but my initial thought is that shoulder alignment (more or less) goes with hardstyle because the concentrated application of power should take place in as much of a non-compromised position as possible. (In contrast, the application of power with GS is more smooth and constant. Same total power to get that weight overhead, but less concentrated... so that matters a bit less). Looking in slow-mo, you do have a good snappy concentrated power from the hips as we should with a heavy hardstyle snatch... and at the moment that happens, you are less aligned. So, something to consider, somewhat for safety/injury prevention, somewhat for efficient development of power, you might try squaring the shoulders more. I always find it useful when trying to make a big change to go very light and see if I can just force the change, begin to feel how to make it work, then work back up with the weight and see how it carries forward. So that's a way you could try and see if it works for you.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom