all posts post new thread

Kettlebell 2nd best A+A drill if not the snatch, then which drill?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Girevik67

Level 4 Valued Member
Hello,best wishes to all of the StrongFirst family! My question, what is the 2nd best drill for A+A training? I suspect it's the 1-arm swing, am I right? Thanks in advance.

Hello,

I would also go for 1H and 2H swings.

2H could be heavier, but 1H have this anti-rotation thing which is great as well. Basically, I would alternate between the two.

As far as bodyweight goes, I would say sprint intervals.

Kind regards,

Pet'

My humble 2 cents.
A+A is designed for short powerful bursts. According to Q&D book, at 10 seconds 2/3 of CP is depleted, and power drop is noticeable. It correlates with my gut feeling at A+A sessions. Same goes about difference in lactic acid accumulation, at sets longer than 10 seconds it accumulates faster, thus a long run of 30-40 sets is not possible. I don't see useful to go over 10 seconds per set, this timeframe fits 6-7 swings, or even 5-6, if the weight is really heavy.

Another bodyweight option is jumping rope. I can do 20 double-unders in about 10s and it's a similar effect to what I'd feel like (and confirmed with a HR monitor.......doing these Q&D style red-lines my HR by end of a series) running 80m @ ~200m pace; without leaving my driveway.

@Anna C Without detracting too much from the OP, I seem to recall video of you pairing heavy 1A Swing repeats with 2-3 push-ups at a time. Can you point me to that?

I like the heavy double cleans idea.

Maybe the heavy sandbag clean to shoulder instead. Ballistic, allows for heavy weights, has some anti-rotation challenge, and does not demand an awkwardly wide stance. It is also easy on shoulders and thoracic mobility is more of a co-requisite than a pre-requisite.

I like the Q+D protocol of alternating swings and pushups but in A+A format.

Alternate sets of 5 swings or 5 pushups each minute (a few rounds makes a nice warm up for other workouts, too)
-or-
Alternate sets of 10 swings or 10 pushups each two minutes (a round or two also makes a nice finisher for other workouts for a little closing pump)

My question, what is the 2nd best drill for A+A training? I suspect it's the 1-arm swing, am I right? Thanks in advance.
I prefer 2H swings:
1) heavier bells
2) Hungarian core-blaster if you don't have heavier bells
3) raw power production (focus on hips, not grip-slips) - more CP depletion
4) better for over-speeding the eccentric - even quicker + deeper CP depletion
5) go really well with power push-ups
6) spare your hands - skin and grip - for snatch sessions

As an alternative to all the above, I have done heavy double high pulls and really liked it. You can go heavy, risk is low, and it has a bent arm pull. It is also crazy hard, I'd say its equivalent to double cleans with 4 kg or 8 kg more weight.

I also enjoyed mixing it with single arm snatches. I would do snatches with 28 and double high pull with total 48 kg, so the increase in weight was a shock to the system and to the lower body.

2H swings, double cleans.

Always wanted to experiment with double clean and push press or double C&J.

2H swings, double cleans.

Always wanted to experiment with double clean and push press or double C&J.
I just added in heavy double C&J for A+A workouts and I love it. I find the ability to work at a higher load for the cleans while still working the upper body with the jerk to be a great combo.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom