all posts post new thread

Barbell 5/3/1 programming

• Thread starter Deleted member 316
  • Start date
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Deleted member 316

Has anyone have experience with 5/3/1 programming,but only using one or two exercises? I was thinking of using it for my deadlift. At this moment I have no interest in squats and stuff. S&S is working well, but I like to kèep deads in my weekly plan. Jim has various 5/3/1 programs such as boring but strong and boring but big etc.

I would run S&S Monday- Thursday, take Friday off and then run 5,3,1 for deads on Saturday. After your main set drop to your first set, 60% of your main set and do 5-8 sets of five. @damogari is doing something similar while running ROP Monday,Wednesday and Friday I believe.

Increase both your main set and volume sets 5-10 pounds a week.

You can Google an 8/6/3 variant of 5/3/1. I'd be inclined to go the higher volume if planning for just one Deads session per week. I'm commonly using 8/6/3 or 5/3/1 for just one lift while using another program for everything else

I run 5/3/1 for deadlifts only with ROP simultaneously as @ShawnM accurately mentiond. The schedule is Monday (H), Wednesday, (L), Friday (M) ROP and 5/3/1 on Saturday. It's to soon to talk about effects, but its working well for me. I tested version with only 5/3/1, with assistance exercises and BBB. Last one seems to work the best, but it depends on your goals, my main goal is Press and second one is steady progress of Deadlift.

Hello,

5/3/1 programming,but only using one or two exercises?
What do you plan to do ? I understood deadlift, but what would be the other move ?

I was planning on deadlifting Friday or Saturday.
DL two days in a row with the same move can be a little taxing, excepted if you reduce weight a little. Otherwise, what about 5DLs these days, close to your max ?

Kind regards,

Pet'

I would recommend doing deads only 1x/week if you are doing S&S additionally. Deads are extremeley taxing on the CNS.
I would keep it as simple as possible and do only 5/3/1. Hit it hard each week and come back stronger the next week

I meant I was going to deadlift on either Friday or Saturday. Not both days

I meant I was going to deadlift on either Friday or Saturday. Not both days

I saw this on the Jim wendler (creator of 5/3/1) forum. You could apply this just to deadlifts

"
I posted this and it got lost - but this is another way we train beginners. It is very, very simple but it works. Remember that the program isn't as important as the execution AND the consistency.

Bench and Press - 5's PRO with 5x5 FSL.

In between every set of bench/press do 10 reps of Goblet Squat with as
heavy a weight as you can. I have kids that squat 185 that do 10x10
with a 100lbs dumbbell. So anyone can do this.

Squat and Deadlift - 5's PRO with 10x5 of FSL

In between every set, alternate between dips for 10+ reps and some kind of row for 10 reps.

Lift 3 times/week. 10-20 jumps before lifting. Agile 8, etc.
Aerobic/recovery work on off days. I have kids who have very little
experience do this and they also run so any schmo can do this. "

I would recommend doing deads only 1x/week if you are doing S&S additionally. Deads are extremeley taxing on the CNS.
I would keep it as simple as possible and do only 5/3/1. Hit it hard each week and come back stronger the next week
I do swings many days followed by deadlifts. It's fine if your approach is to really own your working weight with both. I use the Daily Dose Deadlift guideline of 75% 1RM for 5 singles, a repeatable thing.

-S-

When i was coach at a small high school i took a teenage kid from the low 400's DL to a 501 meet lift using Wendlers 5/3/1 method.It's very simple and fairly easy to understand.
I also used successfully with many other students with the DL and other basic lifts with positive results.
I would tell you stop on your last "all out sets"to stop when technique deteriorates to a point of unsafeness.I know Wendler says all out reps but this can be taken many ways by someone following the program and can be bad for a highly motivated lifter that wants to get max reps any way possible.
I agree with the above that the S&S program and 5/3/1 can interfere with each other with issues already mentioned above.
Now doing swings as a warm up or assistance movement can be beneficial.
Warm ups lighter with more reps 10-25,assistance after your DL 10-15 reps with a heavier KB 32 kg or more.
If you add anything to S&S you change the program and it not the way it is intended to be used.
It doesn't mean it can't work if you add a deadlift, it just means it may not work as ideally for you.
Another option is maybe just grease the groove with your deadlift and just"practice"it,but like i said you are changing the program as written and it was written that way for maximum benefit.

I would tell you stop on your last "all out sets"to stop when technique deteriorates to a point of unsafeness.I know Wendler says all out reps.

Jim has been saying not to do an all out set for a long time now.

You can Google an 8/6/3 variant of 5/3/1. I'd be inclined to go the higher volume if planning for just one Deads session per week. I'm commonly using 8/6/3 or 5/3/1 for just one lift while using another program for everything else

I've read that article before. Wouldn't do it myself as I would be doing less reps on the last set with 8/6/3 then I would on 5/3/1. If I wanted more volume on 5/3/1, I would add back off sets.

I almost had a lapse of judgment last night. I was about to get my bench out of storage and set up for the full 5/3/1 program. I looked around, let my head clear and said to myself that my bells, deadlifts, and a sledgehammer is all I need. Seriously, when will I need to push a static heavy weight off my chest while lying down? And like the good chief Pavel said "everyone needs to squat, not everyone needs to squat heavy." When will I ever be in such a position that I'd have a huge weight across my shoulders? Except maybe dragging a dead deer out of the bush.

I came to the similar conclusion. Military press is more functional than bench press. And I prefer it with kettlebells or dumbbells. My knee have seen better days and I started believing that heavy squats are cool, but walking is awesome. My needs are fulfilled with kettlebells, deadflift and pull up bar.

Hello,

In all practices, I enjoy asking to myself 'will I be better at what I do if train like that ?" If the answer is no, then I do not go for it. Going heavy once in a while, why not if this is "just for fun", but does not have to become a routine.

Squat / DL + press is a wonderful combination

Kind regards,

Pet'

Yes a push, pull, carry, and cotrolled violence (swing, sledgehammer, and heavy bag) is basically all a man needs.
I was looking at Jims leader and anchor program and looks like a good fit with a little more volume for a bit then an emphasis on strength for a bit.

I came across an article from the guy who trained Hugh Jackman for Wolverine. His system is very similar to Jim Wendlers 5/3/1, except for the deload week. Where Jim has you do five reps at the deload weight, David Kingsbury has you do ten reps to help with hypertrophy.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom