all posts post new thread

Barbell 9 Week Deadlift peaking plan (input please)

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

El Cid

Level 3 Valued Member
Hi all. I'm hoping to have some people put some eyes on my numbers in the plan I'm thinking of implementing for a new Deadlift peak. I'll be running this concurrent with building a volume base of KB Snatch so it's a twice-a-week deadlifting plan. I modified it from a plan designed to Deadlift once and Squat once (I don't have a rack right now so I subbed in a second DL session at a lower intensity). Here's what I have. Each week has a Workout A and three days later Workout B (all % is %1RM):

§ Week 1
65% x 5 sets x 5 reps
65% x 4 sets x 5 reps

§ Week 2
70% x 5 sets x 3 reps
70% x 3 sets x 3 reps

§ Week 3
75% x 4 sets x 3 reps
72.5% x 3 sets x 3 reps

§ Week 4
80% x 3 sets x 2 reps
75% x 3 sets x 2 reps

§ Week 5
82.5% x 2 sets x 2 reps
77.5% x 3 sets x 1 rep

§ Week 6
85% x 3 sets x 1 rep
80% x 2 sets x 1 rep

§ Week 7
90% x 2 sets x 1 rep
82.5% x 2 sets x 1 rep

§ Week 8
95% x 1 single rep
75% x 2 sets x 2 reps

§ Week 9
Max attempts

I'm planning to run this while building a volume base of KB Snatches and Swings, and those sessions will be 3 days per week, Alactic and Aerobic style, repeats of about 10 reps for the most part.

After I DL I plan to do Turkish Getups 1 x 5-10 at an easy pace/moderate weight. Pull Ups 3 x 5 or Pendlay Row 3 x 8. Dands (Hindu Pushups) as a finisher at whatever rep range feels right for the day if I have something left.

My questions are: 1) How do my %1RM's look considering the volume/frequency?, 2) Is it too ambitious to expect to DL peak while building Snatch volume at a 4kg heavier KB?, 3) How do my accessory moves look?

All constructive feedback is highly appreciated, and if you briefly include why, even better :)

Why? 95% is a lot in training. I'd go for less, perhaps 92%, and save the rest for max test day. You will find that model in the Daily Dose Deadlift.

Also notice in the DDD that the peak is not linear - if memory serves, it goes 80, 85, 90, 82, 87, 92% - something to consider. Why? I prefer wavy peaking like this to a more linear approach, which I find tends to burn me out. Doing 92% after doing 87% a week or so before feels better to me than doing 92% after doing 90%. I'd say some it depends on how experienced a deadlifter you are - if you're relatively new - or if you know you respond well to linear strength peaking - then the linear approach might be best.

-S-

@El Cid + 1 @Steve Freides on working the DDD. If you want to increase your 1RM DL then you need to have the appropriate amount of volume in that particular lift. I don't believe that 2 x per week will be enough volume even if you push your percentages upwards of 85% and squeeze in all the extra accessory work. The DDD follows an "Easy Strength" protocol for volumes and intensity, check it out as you will reference it many times throughout your training career.

ES.jpg

@natewhite39, for many people, there is carryover between the kettlebell snatch and the barbell deadlift. I don't think the proposed plan is impossible, particularly since there will have to be at least a little more volume in the form of working up to the heavy weights.

-S-

@Steve Freides Agreed. I see the volume carryover, I was just addressing his original goal of achieving a new Deadlift 1RM. My tendency is always towards the favoring the minimal amount of work to save the CNS from burnout.

@natewhite39, perhaps you are right to interpret "new DL peak" as a quest for a PR. If so, I agree with you. I took "peak" to simply mean an improvement over recent performance, and I wouldn't expect a PR on this program. It might, however, lay a good foundation to then be followed with a more DL-focused program that cuts back on snatches.

-S-

The DDD follows an "Easy Strength" protocol for volumes and intensity, check it out as you will reference it many times throughout your training career.

+1 for @natewhite39 suggestion on reading Easy Strength.

I almost haven't read it since I thought to myself I read many of Pavel's books, and one by Dan John, so what would another one give me? Then I saw a reference to it somewhere in the blog and decided to read it. I'm very happy with myself for reading it. ALLOT of stuff got clarity and put all the pieces of the puzzle in place.

At the moment I consider it and Dan John's Intervention as my coaching base textbooks (and I am my own worst client).

@natewhite39, perhaps you are right to interpret "new DL peak" as a quest for a PR. If so, I agree with you. I took "peak" to simply mean an improvement over recent performance, and I wouldn't expect a PR on this program. It might, however, lay a good foundation to then be followed with a more DL-focused program that cuts back on snatches.

-S-

Definitely not a quest for a new PR. Just a "peak", best of what I've done in about the last 6 months. I'm well off my life-time DL PR, and volume wise I'm a good bit off of a run at a last-12-months type of PR as well. I'm just trying to make a good forward advancing effort at DL weight while not interfering with my efforts in the KB Snatch. I'm the sort that usually finds if I'm "maintaining" I tend to slide backwards, so I'd like to make a forward effort with my Deadlift.

I think you've summed up the intent of what I'm after...laying "a good foundation to then be followed with a more DL-focused program that cuts back on snatches."

I'll take your waviness of % tip to mind thanks. I'd put myself somewhere in the "intermediate" category with the Deadlift. I previously owned an ~2x body weight Deadlift, at 445#. Due to changing focus, general chaos of life I'm quite a bit off that now. I grab the bar for some triples once every 7-10 days and occasionally dip to somewhat near max single when I feel inspired.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom