all posts post new thread

Kettlebell A+A Appropriate Movements

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Hello,

Thank you @Steve Freides If there is "too much" content, feel free to delete

Here it is:
If power is the goal: [uphill] sprint, box jumps, power push ups, rubber band exercises, med ball throws, swings / cleans / snatches, push presses / jerks, power cleans

Otherwise, something more geared towards grinds, such as explained in the strength aerobic article on the blog).

The newsletter provides some interesting scientific explainnations and also some "do / don't".

Kind regards,

Pet'

I have signed up for that newsletter three times and I am still not receiving it. I'm starting to take it personally...sniff, sob.

I have signed up for that newsletter three times and I am still not receiving it. I'm starting to take it personally...sniff, sob.
Please PM me here or email me at forum@strongfirst.com and we will look into this for you immediately. Please include the email address you used to sign up for the newsletter.

Thanks.

-S-

As is our usual policy, please don't reprint the entire thing here, but it's OK to mention some of the particulars in order to have a discussion with those who've read the newsletter.

-S-
just out of curiosity why isnt it ok to post it here when its a free newsletter?

just out of curiosity why isnt it ok to post it here when its a free newsletter?
A fine question but one to which I don't have the answer. StrongFirst policy is that the newsletter aren't archived or preserved in any public way, and posting it here would go against that.

-S-

A fine question but one to which I don't have the answer. StrongFirst policy is that the newsletter aren't archived or preserved in any public way, and posting it here would go against that.

-S-
From a pure marketing standpoint, your contact info (data) is the price you pay to get the newsletter info. They then plug events, courses or products onto the e mail for purchase. It’s my favorite marketing tactic from a consumer standpoint.

From a pure marketing standpoint, your contact info (data) is the price you pay to get the newsletter info. They then plug events, courses or products onto the e mail for purchase. It’s my favorite marketing tactic from a consumer standpoint.
I have no clue about these things, @LarryB. If anyone wants to ask, best to use the Contact form here (same thing is on the website) and direct your question to StrongFirst HQ.

My personal understanding is that what's sent out is for subscriber's personal use and cannot be reproduced, published, etc. - but again, I am not a lawyer and do not mean to speak for StrongFirst officially here.

I will add that we're well off-topic.

-S-

I have no clue about these things, @LarryB. If anyone wants to ask, best to use the Contact form here (same thing is on the website) and direct your question to StrongFirst HQ.

My personal understanding is that what's sent out is for subscriber's personal use and cannot be reproduced, published, etc. - but again, I am not a lawyer and do not mean to speak for StrongFirst officially here.

I will add that we're well off-topic.

-S-
Ya, i should say that i have no insider knowledge. That’s just the basic principles of the marketing strategy.

For those questioning whether C&J "works" for A+A wouldn't this article by Pavel answer that pretty definitively?

I’m also attaching a relevant passage from the Q&D book, explaining that C&J is not suited for Q&D, but is well adapted to other anti glycolitic training.

Attachments

• 008A74D8-4544-4373-9D40-6A9886A689E6.jpeg
    008A74D8-4544-4373-9D40-6A9886A689E6.jpeg
    164.2 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
From what I've understood as pertains to the C&J question: there are broadly two types of Strong Endurance protocols.

The first type is the classic Soviet AGT, rebranded by StrongFirst as A&A. The goal of protocols in this category is to train the aerobic system to replenish the alactic system's energy stores between bouts of intense exertion, or, more precisely, to improve mitochondrial function. Al Ciampa's "serious endurance" and recent "BEST training method EVER" are in this category.

The second type consists of Q&D-style protocols that aim to stimulate mitochondrial biogenesis (i.e. build more mitochondria) through creating specific hormonal conditions associated with near-complete depletion of cellular energy stores.

In Q&D Pavel explains that C&J is a multistage lift that relays the work between different muscle groups. This prevents the rapid depletion of cellular fuels necessary for mitochondrial biogenesis - and thus renders it unsuitable for Q&D style protocols. However, there is nothing preventing its use for A&A. The article below may explain it better that I have.

The Quick and the Dead vs Strong Endurance™—What is the Difference?

Last edited:
News: It's OK for someone to post the most recent newsletter in its entirety here.

-S-
Thanks @Steve Freides! Here is the article I referred to in my question:

The first question is: what is better, quick lifts and sprints or strength exercises?

When your main goal is mitochondrial development in fast twitch fibers, power exercises rule and sprints are close behind. In contrast, “grinds” deliver less than half the gains of either. When it comes to “what the hell effects,” quick lifts also have the edge. (To learn more, refer to The Quick and the Dead.)

Thus someone like a boxer or a general fitness minimalist could do just fine limiting himself to explosive A+A. But if your sport or occupation demands repeated strength efforts—think wrestling or moving pianos—or you simply enjoy lifting heavy stuff, add “grinds” to your A+A arsenal as well.

Following are short lists with some of the top general A+A exercises, quick and “slow.”

Explode

Since A+A exercises are done with high volume and frequency, they must be easy on the joints. For that reason, Prof. Selouyanov recommended choices that reduce or eliminate eccentric loading such as box jumps and hill sprints. (Eccentric loading is not a problem with most kettlebell drills as good ergonomics dissipate the shock away from the joints.)
  • Sprints, especially uphill or up stadium steps
  • Box jumps
  • Power pushups
  • Many exercises with rubber bands
  • Medicine ball or rock or kettlebell throws
  • Kettlebell swings, cleans, and snatches
  • Kettlebell push presses and jerks
  • Barbell power cleans
Grind

An important consideration for A+A grinds is the ease of setting up, picking up and “parking” the weight. For instance, the bench press is a poor choice because the set-up is slow and meticulous. The barbell back squat is borderline since proper bar placement is not instant.
  • Sled or car pulling and pushing (can also be explosive)
  • Weighted step-ups and walking lunges
  • Pistols
  • Pullups
  • Farmer carries
  • Barbell front and Zercher squats
  • Barbell deadlifts (this and some other “grinds” can also be made explosive)
  • Kettlebell goblet and front squats
  • Kettlebell military presses
  • Kettlebell get-ups
Plus, there are various hybrid exercises such as the kettlebell clean plus military press plus front squat from the classic “strength aerobics” circuit by Alexey Senart, StrongFirst Certified Senior Instructor.

This Saturday and Sunday do not miss the opportunity to learn about practical applications of anti-glycolytic training at the All-Terrain Conditioning™ course—online.​

From what I've understood as pertains to the C&J question: there are broadly two types of Strong Endurance protocols.

The first type is the classic Soviet AGT, rebranded by StrongFirst as A&A. The goal of protocols in this category is to train the aerobic system to replenish the alactic system's energy stores between bouts of intense exertion, or, more precisely, to improve mitochondrial function. Al Ciampa's "serious endurance" and recent "BEST training method EVER" are in this category.

The second type consists of Q&D-style protocols that aim to stimulate mitochondrial biogenesis (i.e. build more mitochondria) through creating specific hormonal conditions related with near-complete depletion of cellular energy stores.

In Q&D Pavel explains that C&J is a multistage lift that relays the work between different muscle groups. This prevents the rapid depletion of cellular fuels necessary for mitochondrial biogenesis - and thus renders it unsuitable for Q&D style protocols. However, there is nothing preventing it's use for A&A. The article below may explain it better that I have.

The Quick and the Dead vs Strong Endurance™—What is the Difference?
Thanks for posting the article. It was interesting to read it again in the context of more recent A+A discussions.
Does anyone know whether the KB-SF (BJJ) protocol was one of the Strong Endurance protocols outlined in the article?
It's whet my appetite to attend Strong Endurance for sure.

This has been a great thread. Got me reading some older articles too. In pavel's article; Q&d vs a+a he lists a bunch of strong endurance protocols. I’m not totally sure which it would fall under, but I am loving the KB SF program as well. I’m only a couple of weeks into the swing and get up portion. The swings seem like classic a+a (heavy swings every :30 is tough!) However, the get ups got me wondering if they fall under the a+a umbrella and perhaps inspired by some of the slow fiber training protocols?

Templates #1-7: Fast and Intermediate Fibers’ Aerobic Training​

Make your fast fibers aerobic—without sacrificing power and strength—for games and combat sports.

Templates #8-11: Intermediate Fibers’ Aerobic Training​

For military, law enforcement, first responders.

Templates #12-13: Intermediate and Slow Fibers’ Aerobic Training​

March or die. Lose fat.

Templates #14-16: Fast and Intermediate Fibers’ Hypertrophy​

Build more muscle—while improving your acid buffering.

Templates #17-18: Slow Fibers’ Hypertrophy​

A game-changer for wrestling and for training around injuries.

However, the get ups got me wondering if they fall under the a+a umbrella and perhaps inspired by some of the slow fiber training protocols?
That's an interesting point.
I reread the slow twitch article series yesterday and I can see the similarity.
There isn't a burn per se but I definitely see a benefit of regular TGU (and follow Pavel's "[treat them] like veggies" advice) which ties in with the advice to do slow twitch training consistently.
Perhaps that's why TGU are a great post injury exercise?

A few years back, when I was doing a lot of BJJ, my S&C consisted of two days of Bent Press/Reverse TGU. One day a week was volume, on which I would do a rep OTM for up to 40 minutes, eventually working up to a 32kg. The other was a heavy day. I would work up to a sorta max on each lift and the combined lift with lots of rest.

I don't know if this was A+A per se, but I found this had huge carry over to the mats. In fact, it worked so well, I quit doing it.

Greetings dear friends
Has anyone tried a+a with 5-10 or more repetitions?
If so in which exercises you did?
Thank You

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom