all posts post new thread

A jolly game of taming iron

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Harry King

Level 4 Valued Member
I have been practicing Simple and Sinister since December 2019. I had a recent set back due to bicep tendon aggravation caused by incorrect swing technique and lack of patience. I followed the program blindly without taking extra time to own the weight before progressing. So here I am practicing with a reduced weight and doing some rehab exercise. On the bright side, I have learnt a lot and feel like I’m going to come back better than ever. Currently training almost daily as per the simple routine.

I chose S&S because of the simplicity and because of the healing properties of the swing and the get up. I suffered a back injury when I was 20 and have not felt better since I discovered Strongfirst! I also like the style and feel of Pavel’s program, it is training that has improved my temperament.

My goals for the future are to continue this style of training - Strong Endurance style ballistics while practicing a grind (like get ups) or following a Plan Strong program (military press, for example).

I work as a lifeguard at an army base pool/gym in Australia. I will also post my deep-end practice sessions (the pool here is 6m deep, I like to swim across the bottom - 20m) and easy 50m lap swimming for some locomotion.

EDIT: I should also add, I lie on my stomach and read immediately after my practice. I treat this as part of my training. I got this idea from Enter The Kettlebell! Inspired by Pavel's comment in S&S that something read twice is better than something read once, I decided to work my way through a five volume set of ancient philosophy translations while I'm doing S&S. Last year, I got through all five, Plato - Republic, Aristotle - Nichomean Ethics, Cicero - On The Good Life, Lucretius - On The Nature Of Things and Seneca - Letters From A Stoic. Now I am right back at the start!

Last edited:
Today's practice, in order:

Work break - Easy Flexible Steel stretching from the book.

S&S 1HS and GU - No warm up, carried groceries home straight after work so I was already warm. 2 sets @ 16kg and 8 sets @ 24kg. I was on the 16 again all January while my shoulder recovered and this month I have reintroduced the 24 for two sets per week. So far so good, my should isn't completely fine yet but the 24 is giving me good feedback and I'm improving. I will see my local SFG soon for a check up. The plan is to go back to the standard month to month progression next month.

Back-bend reading - some of book 1, Plato's Republic.

S&S stretches before bed.

Work break - 200m easy swimming and diving/underwater swimming practice down to 6m. I worked up to 4 x 20m swims at a depth of 6m. Today I flipped a coin to decide between diving practice and just plain old swimming laps, which I want to do more of. I have been inspired by @Harald Motz and his routine of lifting and easy locomotion. I want to emulate this. However, I don't want to give up the breath holding/swimming work in the deep-end as it should be part of my job. Pavel also states in Q+D that hypoxia is useful for mitochondrial development. I have been practicing the dives for a year so I think I can maintain what I have by simply flipping a coin on my three pool days per week.

S&S 2HS and HGU - 2@16kg, 8@ 24kg. Half get-ups were suggested by Pavel in this article Introducing the StrongFirst “WOD” | StrongFirst

Last edited:

Work break - Easy Flexible Steel stretching as described in the book.

S&S 1HS and GU - 2@16kg, 8@ 24kg. No warm up, started as soon as I got in the door after walking home from work. No problems with getting straight into it.

Work break - 200m easy swimming and diving/underwater swimming practice down to 6m. I worked up to 4 x 20m swims at a depth of 6m.

S&S 2HS and HGU - 2@16kg, 8@ 24kg.

Back-bend reading - no reading, phone call with my best mate.

Work break - Easy aerobic swimming for 30 minutes. Did not bother counting laps. I am practicing the technique described in Total Immersion by Terry Laughlin, which was mentioned in Preparing for BUD/S | StrongFirst. Reading the articles is so useful.

S&S rest day. I got my first batch of home brew beer started instead...

Work break - started my dive practice but I had trouble equalising that did not resolve. Switched to easy laps for the last 15 minutes of my lunch break.

Today was an off day that I did not want to turn into a day off.

S&S 2HS and HGU - 24kg. This practice turned out well considering, I focused on technique and relaxed on the power a little and I think it might have actually been better or at least close to my usual enthusiastic output. Felt fatigued towards the end of the swings though.

Back-bend reading - some of book 2, Plato's Republic.

It has been a difficult week, after Tuesday things went south...

Wednesday - zero.

Thursday - Work break, easy laps in the pool. S&S 2HS/HG 24kg , surprisingly good practice considering I was suffering from significant fatigue.

Friday - Work break, easy laps in the pool. S&S disaster! first set, 3rd rep left hand, the bell slipped out and luckily did not do any serious damage. Called it quits.

Saturday - S&S 1HS/GU 24kg. Great practice out in the sun, felt much better. Disaster strikes again, bad evening.

Sunday - Recovering from one hell of a week!

I am planning on introducing easy running on the weekends, we will see how that goes.

Love the reading choice. You'll definitely get more out of the Republic with each read.

Thanks mate. It’s a dense, many layered book that (in my view) is easily misinterpreted. Anyway, regardless of the original intent I think it’s fair to take a lenient and broad view and let it grow into its years, so to speak. One can do that with any classic.

10/3/21

S&S 1HS and GU - 24kg.

Back-bend reading - some book 3 - Plato's Republic.

S&S Stretches before bed.

11/3/21

S&S 2HS and HGU - 24kg.

Work break -Flexible Steel practice.

12/3/21

S&S 2HS and HGU - 24kg. (ripped callus)
Back-bend reading - finished book 3 - Plato's Republic.

13/3/21

Hangover - freestyle KB practice with a 16kg bell in the sun, like a hard-living comrade!

14/3/21

OFF

15/3/21

S&S 2HS and GU - 24kg. (ripped callus)
Back-bend reading - some book 4 - Plato's Republic.
Work break - flexible steel practice

16/3/21

S&S 2HS and HGU - 24kg. (ripped callus) Shoulders are feeling much better.
Work break - Dive practice and swimming in the pool

Last edited:
17/3/21

S&S 2HS and GU - 24kg. (ripped callus)
Work break - flexible steel practice

18/3/21
S&S 2HS and HGU - 24kg. (ripped callus)
Work break - Easy freestyle lap swimming, 25 min.

19/3/21
I tried something different today. I usually alternate single and two and swing days, but because my right hand needs to heal I have been doing two hand only while maintaining the get-up variation day to day. But I need to work on my left hand swings more anyway, so today I did the following:

Set 1 - left hand swings.
Set 2 - two hand swings... and so on.
It went pretty well.
Work break - Swimming and dive practice.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom