all posts post new thread

Barbell A New Open Trap bar

Adachi

Level 7 Valued Member
I just saw an advertisement for this ...

I don't really know what to make of it.

I thought you were announcing a new night club in Atlanta.

Didn't know they like the Migos in Toyko too!

IMHO This is one of the rare things that are “over” designed but could indeed work very well. I think this is a legit trap bar that would save space and money.

I don't about that one - the listed weight capacity of the bar and the slender build of the model leads me to believe it might not be the best built bar. It will probably work but yeah...
I was considering this option (on sale for $160, 600lb weight capacity) for Farmers Walk carries, etc but decided I really need to be choosier when it comes to adding clutter to my already pretty cramped space: https://www.titan.fitness/strongman/carry/farmers-walk/rickshaw-farmer’s-walk/429993.html

Open Trap Bar without the built in kick stand? That’s the main reason I got an open trap bar…

The seal row usage looks nice though.

Rep makes a trap bar you can remove the handles on and use as a camber/seal bar as well. It’s also rated for twice as much weight…but does cost more

Looking at most Trap bar designs, they wouldn't fit inside my rack, and I don't want to take up any more floor space. Having said that, I'd really like to have one, LOL.

Looking at most Trap bar designs, they wouldn't fit inside my rack, and I don't want to take up any more floor space. Having said that, I'd really like to have one, LOL.

They’re all rackable nowadays, so no issue fitting in racks

I agree that the features it's sold on look surprisingly nice but I too am skeptical about the load capacity. Then again, I don't know.

I already have a cambered bar, a bow bar, a couple of stiff powerlifting bars and a safety squat bar, so I don't really need one as I'm also just somehow not a fan of trap bars in general. Still, I did give the thought a minute or two.

Now, a cambered bar for squats and good mornings...

The first mention of these I saw was from Eleiko. @watchnerd has one, I think ...

-S-

The first mention of these I saw was from Eleiko. @watchnerd has one, I think ...

-S-

Yep, I do have the Eleiko version.

I find the open side opens (no pun intended) exercises that you can't do with the a closed one.

(although some might be questionable in value)

It's also cool to be able to put on the floor in a perpendicular position, as well as rack mount it, to load plates.

It's like having a built-in deadlift jack.

Open Trap Bar

These have been around for a while.

The site provides some intersting additional exercise that can be performed with it.

I have tried one.

High-Low Handle Trap Bar
1701348824612.png

I have this one. The High-Low Handles are nice.

One of the nice training feature of the High-Low Handle Trap bar, as per Chris Thibaudeau is...

The high handle allow you to use more weight which means more stimulation on the upper back and traps but a bit less emphasis on the glutes and hams.

The lower handle is a great way to build the whole lower body: glutes, quads and hams specifically. But since you use a bit less weight it doesn't overload the traps as much.

This is one of the rare things that are “over” designed
Different

I don't see it as being over designed but just different.

this is a legit trap bar
Yes

It is just differently designed.

the listed weight capacity of the bar and the slender build of the model leads me to believe it might not be the best built bar.
Weight Capacity

1) What is the Weight Capacity?

I did not see it listed.

2) I doubt that most individual on this form will every surpass whatever the Weight Capacity is.

I too am skeptical about the load capacity.
The Exception

As I remember from a previous [post of yours, your Deadlift is pretty heavy.

So, the Load Capaticy might not work for you; which is a nice problem to have. :)

most Trap bar designs, they wouldn't fit inside my rack,
Fitting Inside The Rack

Most Trap Bar are not long enough to place them on the Weight Pins in a Rack.

However, there are some Trap Bars that will.

Top Down Trap Bar Training

One of the benefits of having a Trap Bar that allow you to place it on the Bar Hooks is that the movement is started with an Eccentric Component. It allows a lifter to perform a "Touch and Go Reps" from the first Rep to the last.

Touch And Go Reps

Performing Touch and Go Reps with a Trap Bar or in performing "Touch and Go Barbell Deadlifts" allows a lifter to generate more force off the floor.

1) This allows a lifter to Overload the Movement.

2) Traditional Conventional Powerlifting Deadlifters

Most Traditional Conventional Powerlifting Deadlifters are able to drive weight off the loor.

The sticking point is in the Knee Area. Thus, a Touch and Go Trap Bar or Conventional Barbell Deadlift enables Overloadng the Knee Area to a greater degree.

Contraindicated for Sumo and Olympic Style Deadlifters

Touch and Go Sumo Deadlift and Olympic Style Deadlifter are contraindicated.

The Sticking Point is in breaking the weight off the floor for these individual.

Thus, Touch and Go Sumo Deadlift and Olympic Style Deadlifts don't do much in the development of Increasing Strength or generating Power off the floor.

For these individaul Assistance Exercise that develop Leg Drive off the floor are imperative: Quarter Power Rack Squat that emulate the height of the Legs at the start of their Deadlift, Front Squats, Leg Press, High Bar Back Squats, Safety Bar Squats, etc.

Steve Goggins, Powerlifter

Goggins had a great Squat and Deadlift.

When interview about using the Leg Press for his Squat, Goggins replied it did more for his Deadlift than Squat.

They’re all rackable nowadays,
Not Really

The majority are not.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom